Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-12-2023, 09:49 AM

Default Lets talk about replacing truck head lights.

I still have the factory bulbs in my GMC HD3500 . And the black roads just sucks the brightness out of them . I wish the roads where more grey .Lol
So been reading that they have Replacement bulbs that are LED or HID

Whats better for Hyw driving at night ?
And where is the best place to buy them ?
Old 11-12-2023, 09:57 AM

The boys bot me LED'S on amazon for my dodge. Huge difference. Took 20 min. About $90.
Old 11-12-2023, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
The boys bot me LED'S on amazon for my dodge. Huge difference. Took 20 min. About $90.
Do you remember the brand and the luminous power rating
Old 11-12-2023, 10:20 AM

CrystaLux LED Headlight Bulbs for Ford F-150

I'm at the same stage, but have an F150. This brand has high ratings. I'll most likely order a set just as soon as the sales start happening.
Old 11-12-2023, 11:52 AM

I switched from halogen to Sylvania LED’s in my 2012 GMC 3500. Significantly better than stock. I’d like to have a chat with the engineer that redesigned the the headlight bucket access, though. What a pita! My 2003 was about 3 minutes per side by pulling 2 pins. Almost need to be double jointed in the 2012
Old 11-12-2023, 12:14 PM

Default Better Head lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
I still have the factory bulbs in my GMC HD3500 . And the black roads just sucks the brightness out of them . I wish the roads where more grey .Lol
So been reading that they have Replacement bulbs that are LED or HID

Whats better for Hyw driving at night ?
And where is the best place to buy them ?
Two options, when I got my 2012 JK those are the worst, guy at Cap-it back in BC sold me Piaa 80 Watts that were DOT approved.They were better until I bought JW Speaker # 2 which were awesome, those have been upgraded to # 3 which has the heat ring around the outside so snow doesnt build up. The number # 2 didn't Good luck JD
Old 11-12-2023, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Do you remember the brand and the luminous power rating
VisVic
6500k super white
Old 11-12-2023, 02:04 PM

Make sure you get the brightest possible so that we can all get free X-rays! Makes me wonder how I never hit anything in the 80, and 90’s with just plain headlights….
Old 11-12-2023, 03:28 PM

Go Performance bulbs, Napa sells them. We use these in our company trucks because they are bright but the light has a good cutoff line that doesn’t blind oncoming drivers like a bunch of others we tried. They are well worth the money, you will need to adjust the lights down a tad after install.
Old 11-12-2023, 04:04 PM

My F150 came with LED reflector lights, not as good a projectors, but a huge improvement over halogen. Then again the bulbs and reflectors were designed as a package.
Old 11-12-2023, 04:39 PM

I bought new lights housing for my truck i had the led lights here to put in the housing, great light now on my truck.
Old 11-12-2023, 05:24 PM

perform led.ca. They are in GP and make excellent LED lighting for vehicles!
Old 11-13-2023, 10:05 AM

My 2003 F250 has total crap headlites since i bought it back in 2005 when the truck had only 020,000 km . Tired diff type of high end replacement blubs but never any real better .
Any one ever did a replacement with these newer updated headlites and LED blubs ?
Old 11-13-2023, 03:19 PM

I walked into JB power center and they wanted $450 for two LED replacement bulbs ,he said anything less , you should just stick with your factory lights .
Kinda of walked out of there fast .
Old 11-13-2023, 07:32 PM

I’ve considered upgrading but haven’t.

A few things to consider.

Do you need a new housing to actually get significantly better lighting.

Does it mess with your electronics, I heard some vehicles had issues with just a bulb change.

Longevity, I sure see a lot of one eyed vehicle’s in the last few years with one aftermarket light.
Old 11-13-2023, 08:14 PM

I just switched my work truck (2023 Ram 3500) halogens out with Sylvania LED’s from crappy tire.

The difference is huge. Haven’t been flashed by anyone yet either.

$120
Old 11-13-2023, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
I just switched my work truck (2023 Ram 3500) halogens out with Sylvania LED’s from crappy tire.

$120
You were hoping?

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 11-14-2023, 09:27 AM

Those new bulbs are great, they are blinding All the other drivers on the road. Unable to see deer crossing when you cannot see from being blinded by excessive lighting, what happened to the safety standards restricting high bright lights.
Old 11-14-2023, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Those new bulbs are great, they are blinding All the other drivers on the road. Unable to see deer crossing when you cannot see from being blinded by excessive lighting, what happened to the safety standards restricting high bright lights.
Good question and I agree….
Old 11-14-2023, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post

$120
I get flashed at least once or twice every week, and my headlights are factory LED reflectors. And that is with no load in the bed, and no leveling kit or lift.
Old 11-14-2023, 08:15 PM

I purchased the FAHREN LED Headlight Bulbs from Amazon. I have only had them a month or so but so far they are awesome. Fit right in the old GMC with no more issue than changing regular bulbs.

I was using the Sylvania SilverStar from CT. They were okay but these new Fahren bulbs just blow them away. The Fahren LEDs are $20 cheaper as well.

Time will tell for longevity but I can't imagine them being worse than the Sylvania. The low beams were only good for about a year.

With the new LEDs the low beams show the road 100 times better. The high beams not only reach out further but light up the ditches as well. I have not been flashed even once.

I am more than impressed so far. I only do a lot dark highway driving during the deer season and often it was extremely stressful. Obviously the weather has been great but these are a huge improvement.

My hunting truck is 12 years old so the lens are less than perfect as well.

It may sound crazy but when you drive with these headlights your eyes adjust to having more light. On coming vehicles are no longer blinding even aftermarket or those dreaded Ford trucks.

If you can't beat em, join em. Best $110 I have spent in a very long time.
Old 11-14-2023, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
You were hoping?

ARG
No, but they are considerably better than the stock bulbs.

I was driving on Hwy 11 outside of Rocky twice a day for the last week at dark. There was 20+ deer in the ditch every trip. I wasn’t able to make out if it was a buck with the stock bulbs, as soon as I switched I could easily tell which deer had antlers and which didn’t.
Old 11-14-2023, 10:13 PM

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/...lights.589465/

Only 324 more pages for me to read lol
Old 11-14-2023, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Make sure you get the brightest possible so that we can all get free X-rays! Makes me wonder how I never hit anything in the 80, and 90’s with just plain headlights….
This^^^^^^

I just contacted Boeing about getting some of those lights from a 747. I want everyone to hate me as much as I hate them when I am driving at night
Old 11-15-2023, 08:28 AM

I had some of those airplane landing light that princes auto sold years ago .
Had one on each side pointing towards the ditches and three forward .
Had them hooked up to the foot high beam switch on my service truck .
Worked very good working back in the 80s and 90s when there were no trucks on the hyw past High level or Ft Saint John and if you did see a truck, they had the lights also . Still don't know why they moved the high beam switch from the floor to the hand control lever . Last service truck i was in I installed a foot switch . Only way to fly !
Old 11-15-2023, 09:01 AM

Default did someone say free x-rays?

If you search 'mercedes benz intelligent light system' you should get this pic included in your results. Photo is hopefully 'for illustrative purposes only'.

IMO, vehicle lights that are too bright are a safety issue.
Old 11-15-2023, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
^^^ This...

Those HID / LED headlights are the devil... Try driving 6-8 hrs a night with them blinding you. Can't see s**t and it gives me headaches.

And the assh***s with lightbars are even worse. One of you morons is gonna cause a head-on collision.

Get a pair of glasses if you can't see ! Or stay off the road with your laserbeam headlights.

Old 11-15-2023, 01:06 PM

I went with the S-V.4's for the Tundra. Actually pretty good, just pricey.

I put the Sylvania LEDs in the Ford Edge, they aren't quite as good as I had hoped.

One thing I noticed about the LEDs is that while they are bright, there something about the color depth which takes some getting used to. Hard to describe.
Old 11-15-2023, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post
^^^ This...

Those HID / LED headlights are the devil... Try driving 6-8 hrs a night with them blinding you. Can't see s**t and it gives me headaches.

And the assh***s with lightbars are even worse. One of you morons is gonna cause a head-on collision.

Get a pair of glasses if you can't see ! Or stay off the road with your laserbeam headlights.

Until the LEOs start enforcing the laws regarding the use of non-DOT/SAE approved light sources on the road, nothing will stop those people from using lights that are sold "for offroad use only".
That includes those that install non approved light sources in their OEM headlight housings.
So, if you are putting in several hours behind the wheel during the dark ages, do yourself a favour and pick up some glasses with yellow lenses. The more yellow they are, the better they work. Either ($$) night driving glasses, or yellow safety glasses like the ones below. They cut the glare of oncoming headlights, and improve your visual acuity in the dark, as well as in rain, fog, and snow conditions. YMMV
Also, keeping your windshield clean helps. That barely visible "fog" on the inside is brutal for spreading the glare.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg yellow safety 3M.jpeg (13.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg yellow safety.jpg (9.2 KB, 5 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 11-15-2023, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
I purchased the FAHREN LED Headlight Bulbs from Amazon. I have only had them a month or so but so far they are awesome. Fit right in the old GMC with no more issue than changing regular bulbs.

I was using the Sylvania SilverStar from CT. They were okay but these new Fahren bulbs just blow them away. The Fahren LEDs are $20 cheaper as well.

Time will tell for longevity but I can't imagine them being worse than the Sylvania. The low beams were only good for about a year.

With the new LEDs the low beams show the road 100 times better. The high beams not only reach out further but light up the ditches as well. I have not been flashed even once.

I am more than impressed so far. I only do a lot dark highway driving during the deer season and often it was extremely stressful. Obviously the weather has been great but these are a huge improvement.

My hunting truck is 12 years old so the lens are less than perfect as well.

It may sound crazy but when you drive with these headlights your eyes adjust to having more light. On coming vehicles are no longer blinding even aftermarket or those dreaded Ford trucks.

If you can't beat em, join em. Best $110 I have spent in a very long time.
How many watts were they , was it a single bulb for high and low or did you buy two high and two low