Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-13-2023, 04:39 PM

Once you leave your work place ,I guess one should find a good health insurance plan .The company I work for has been paying for it all but once retired. that all ends . Who's the best to go with . Blue cross ?
Old 09-13-2023, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Once you leave your work place ,I guess one should find a good health insurance plan .The company I work for has been paying for it all but once retired. that all ends . Who's the best to go with . Blue cross ?
Some company health plans have an opt in option after retirement where the individual can purchase insurance directly. It would be worth asking HR or the insurance plan directly if this is the case. For me I had 30 days to make a decision --- customize and carry on with the provider that I had with the company or find something new (Blue Cross or others). Our analysis kept us with the company provider and we dropped the dental coverage (just save up a fund for dental in case anything is needed).

One thing to ask on is coverage for travel insurance is it included or not -- if not what is the premium -- if included up to what age.

Last edited by 2 Tollers; 09-13-2023 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-17-2023, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
Retired from my Employer in May as a Sr. Project Superintendent. Took a contract position with a different company as an Operations Manager in June. Ended that in August, now I'm a Senior Construction Manager back on salary. Will do this for a couple years if the youngsters here don't drive me bonkers! If they do, the hell with it. I'll putter and continue my hobbies.
Im in the same boat, senior superintendent, 59, looking to retire next year, but an getting pushed to sub contract.
Old 09-17-2023, 06:32 PM

10 days since retirement I’ve already hunted seven of those.
And I’m heading back to the cabin tomorrow for another week.
Doesn’t get any better than this.

Heart was beating pretty good the evening of the 12th where the area I’ve hunted (especially archery season) for the past 17 years & never ran into anyone else, and go figure, I bugled in some bowhunters, my heart sank.
but will give’er again starting tomorrow evening with the fire stick.

But on the topic of going back to work,
A contract service provider or headhunter has already reached out, wanting to know if I want to put my name in for another major project expansion and they will want a 1 yr min commitment.

I figured doesn’t hurt to put in, and they’ll want me anywhere between October and December.
Sure, as heck hope it’s December.

TBark
Old 09-17-2023, 10:29 PM

JR looking Green Shield , so far I found them the best
Old 09-18-2023, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Thanks for all the replies and congrates to all that have retired and those that will . I like gordfish idea Goes to Mexico for the winter.
I could do that . Does anyone else do that ? Close the door at home hirer a snow removel company . Then take off for 3 months .
Just need some good leads where a Canadian would stay for 3 months that does not speak spanish .
Retired Jan1, 2023. Find it a little boring, trying to figure it out
70 days in Mexico last January, planning 100 plus days in Mexico this year.

If I was you I would find out where gordfishing retires...he was able to find 70 days in the month of January. Does that cost as much as the standard 31 day month or do you pay per day on top?

Old 09-18-2023, 10:38 AM

I retired at 55, and truth is, at first I was feeling a little guilty about not working - and still having $$$ rolling in (pension cheques)! So I did a couple of consulting contracts, but soon came to my senses and quickly devoted myself to my hobbies & interests!