Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-08-2023, 06:36 AM

Man you guys are old
Old 09-08-2023, 07:05 AM

Thanks for all the replies and congrates to all that have retired and those that will . I like gordfish idea Goes to Mexico for the winter.
I could do that . Does anyone else do that ? Close the door at home hirer a snow removel company . Then take off for 3 months .
Just need some good leads where a Canadian would stay for 3 months that does not speak spanish .
Old 09-08-2023, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Thanks for all the replies and congrates to all that have retired and those that will . I like gordfish idea Goes to Mexico for the winter.
I could do that . Does anyone else do that ? Close the door at home hirer a snow removel company . Then take off for 3 months .
Just need some good leads where a Canadian would stay for 3 months that does not speak spanish .
A good friend retired three years ago, and has spent the last two winters in Mexico, and is headed back next month. He doesn't speak Spanish, but he says that it really isn't a big issue where he has been, as many people speak English.
Old 09-08-2023, 07:16 AM

I will retire in April. 27 after years of policing and 10 years of oilfield security. I am looking forward to it. I have some hobbies/activities that I think I can replace the work time with and I am not too concerned with being bored. I will be 61.
Old 09-08-2023, 07:40 AM

My eldest brother has been retired about 7 years. He makes sure he spends exactly 180 days in Arizona. In fact the mornings are already getting too cold for him so he left a week ago.
Old 09-08-2023, 07:49 AM

If we like what we do its not work.
For me getting old is still doing what I like to do.
Its just that I can't do it as much as I want to do it.
Its doing it through the physical pain because I fear if I stop doing certain things I will never be physically able to get back into again.
Right now is the best days of my life.
Old 09-08-2023, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W921 View Post
If we like what we do its not work.
For me getting old is still doing what I like to do.
Its just that I can't do it as much as I want to do it.
Its doing it through the physical pain because I fear if I stop doing certain things I will never be physically able to get back into again.
Right now is the best days of my life.
I agree 100% I find myself working on things for me now, Im a pretty easy boss though. You have to keep the physical part going, I picked up a new hobby last year, 2 actually so I can fill a lot of time outside of fishing too

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 09-08-2023, 08:01 AM

I retired this spring and am loving it. Doing a few odd jobs of things I like to do, arborist and what not. Doing a bit of guiding this fall.
Old 09-08-2023, 08:03 AM

I know many people that retired, and one thing is very obvious, the people that were workaholics, seem to have a much tougher time dealing with retirement, than the people that have hobbies and pastimes. I used to work 60+ hour weeks but when I left the trades, and went into leadership , I purposely cut my hours back to 40 hours, and started spending more time at my hobbies and pastimes. I believe that this made my transition to retirement much easier, as I had something to do, and I was used to having some downtime.
Old 09-08-2023, 08:08 AM

My dad retired at 55. He does a bit of contract (training course instructor) stuff for a few days a month here and there when he feels like it. Other than that, he's never been busier. Fishing, camping, rockhounding, hiking, bird watching, visiting family...he and mom are constantly on the go.

Myself, I'll basically be the same. I really don't like my job, there's zero satisfaction in it.

If I could pull the pin now in my early 30's and had a pension like my dad or a modest financial income, I would never work another day in my life. Sure, I might go stand behind the counter at the local gun store for a few hours a week in exchange for employee discount but that's not really work.

I'd be fishing, hunting, camping, hiking, playing with my daughter, tinkering on projects, cooking, smoking meat, grilling and the list goes on.

I genuinely cannot comprehend how anyone would retire and then go back, even part time, to what they were doing.
Old 09-08-2023, 09:30 AM

I maxed out my pension and retired.

My boss approached me with an offer to double dip. After some easy negotiation I returned. When COVID hit, my job was re-written and I declined an offer to return...

I have no desire to work again; I have discovered the art of puttering.

The g-kids and their activities bring me joy now.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 09-08-2023, 09:52 AM

Just don’t double dip unless you need to. Let the younger folks have a chance at the job
Old 09-08-2023, 10:00 AM

Default I guess that I never really retired

I have just kind of petered out! I've been a consultant for the last 20 years and I've just become much more choosey who I take a s clients. Mostly I did "money mining" and in Alberta it wasn't too tough.

I'm 79 years old and in good health soI volunteer in Cochrane and I must be doing things wrong because I'm busier than I've ever been. That's the best I guess.
Old 09-08-2023, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Just don’t double dip unless you need to. Let the younger folks have a chance at the job
I initially suggested to my boss to train a young employee and I'll gladly step aside....changing of the guard.

He said, I agree but when they were offered the job and were told of the training and expectations of work; they wanted no part of it....

All the training including returning to school that was sponsored by the employer and time off provided....

Even a big raise and holidays, they declined...

Easier said than done....It is hard to find hard working and committed people.....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 09-08-2023 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-08-2023, 10:16 AM

Retired from my Employer in May as a Sr. Project Superintendent. Took a contract position with a different company as an Operations Manager in June. Ended that in August, now I'm a Senior Construction Manager back on salary. Will do this for a couple years if the youngsters here don't drive me bonkers! If they do, the hell with it. I'll putter and continue my hobbies.
Old 09-08-2023, 03:58 PM

I retired two and half years ago, just two months shy of turning 45. Moved to Mexico with wife and dog soon after. It took like a few months to figure out our new life down here, in the beginning it kinda felt boring with nothing to do.

Nowadays we are busier than ever, we opened a small business (only work a few hours tho), picked up a bunch of hobbies, I spend most of my time outdoors, I can garden and fish year around, made a bunch of friends. Got to enjoy my life in full now.
Old 09-08-2023, 05:43 PM

I retired 7 years ago and when I first retired I put my name out to local contractors that a Very experienced equipment operator was available. Thank God the phone never rang as I'm as busy as I care to be what with home maintenance, golf, fishing, hunting and playing music (paid gigs for beer money), and driving Miss Daisy to medical appointments.
Old 09-08-2023, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Man you guys are old
Whadya mean old- I'm only 69 years young!!
Cat
Old 09-08-2023, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Whadya mean old- I'm only 69 years young!!
Cat
Me Too- Dinner for two.
Old 09-08-2023, 07:23 PM

After 26 years with the company I turned in my assets on July 31, at 53. I wasn't really planning on leaving for another four or five years, but the separation agreement was pretty generous and I only need to wait about a year and a half to collect my pension. After a few weeks I've realized that I'm not even close to being ready to retire.

I have pretty much updated and repaired everything inside and out of our house already, save for the new back door/patio door/bedroom window that I just picked up and will be replacing next week. My wife still works full time, as do pretty much all of my friends and I'm not really good at being idle for too long.

The hunt for a different job will likely commence soon. Probably not to start a new career, but a job for another five years or so is in order for sure.
Old 09-09-2023, 07:01 AM

After 3yrs of retirement I got a call from my old employer, "can you give us a hand for a couple of months?". I think sure, why not. BIG mistake, now I hear the dreaded alarm in the morning but, I made a commitment so I'll stick to it. As others have suggested find something to do that you can do when you want.
Old 09-09-2023, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
The official language of Belize is an English. Much nicer than Mexico...
Old 09-09-2023, 08:54 AM

This is a really good post! I retired from my main occupation at 55, came with a good pension. Now work at home on a really flexible gig. I'm 61 now and I plan to work until 65, for a few reasons: a) collect CPP and OAS at the same time and that's a good chunk, b) there is longevity in my genes and my elders are living into their 90's with an Uncle who almost lived to 101 .... gotta make sure I have money to live that long, and c) I'm a hyper SOB and healthy, so I need to keep busy for a bit longer.
I like seeing the comments on this post because at our age, it's something we all think about
Old 09-09-2023, 12:05 PM

Retired at 43. Was pretty smart with our money. Bought cows and now that’s what we do. Over the winter, I guide a bit for coyotes and wolves. Lots of ice fishing. And occasionally feed the neighbour’s cows for them. Volunteer with the local minor hockey association to run the clock or help with the rink. And recently took up the fine sport of curling.
The old employer has called a few times to cover OT shifts and I’ve done a few. Just driving around checking wells.
Old 09-10-2023, 09:49 AM

I have been retried for a number of years. I do think you need a plan to keep yourself occupied. Between travel, woodworking, fishing, golf, home projects, etc, I keep occupied.

I have not missed work a single bit but I think the above is the reason. I am a bit of an untrusting soul so packing up for three months an trusting everything to be fine at my home while away is kinda not my thing.
Old 09-10-2023, 02:26 PM

Retired about 2 yrs ago at 55. Now I fill my time helping neighbors with snow and mowing, tinker in the garage and fiddle with some investments. The real joy in my situation comes from 2 volunteer roles, I drive the shuttle for the local Ronald McDonald house (it feels great helping folks who genuinely need it) and I also tutor high school students in math, chem physics and French...it's a special feeling watching a kid who was considering dropping out of school ace a test or take top of the class.

Today my business card would read Mighty Servant, I love giving a hand expecting nothing in return. Every time I miss my former paying job I just book a coffee with my former team, listening to the stories cures me for several months.

Never heard of anyone saying they wish they worked longer, most say they wish they retired sooner.
Old 09-12-2023, 05:37 PM

Retired 2+ years, no way in Hades I'll ever go back to a job. Best career move ever!
Old 09-12-2023, 05:47 PM

Retired at 46. 8 weeks later i was working on 5th ave downtown Manhattan, then Soho district......then here for 8 months and decided to retire again....that lasted 2 months and I was back at it as Corporate Asset Mgr with Cabelas......that lasted until I was 52....then I decided to retire for sure.....then we bought a farm.........then I decided to rent it out and retire FOR SURE......then my son started his arborist company.......somehow dying in my sleep sounds like my next "retirement"........
Old 09-12-2023, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big zeke View Post
Retired about 2 yrs ago at 55. Now I fill my time helping neighbors with snow and mowing, tinker in the garage and fiddle with some investments. The real joy in my situation comes from 2 volunteer roles, I drive the shuttle for the local Ronald McDonald house (it feels great helping folks who genuinely need it) and I also tutor high school students in math, chem physics and French...it's a special feeling watching a kid who was considering dropping out of school ace a test or take top of the class.

Today my business card would read Mighty Servant, I love giving a hand expecting nothing in return. Every time I miss my former paying job I just book a coffee with my former team, listening to the stories cures me for several months.

Never heard of anyone saying they wish they worked longer, most say they wish they retired sooner.
Are you in Edmonton? Funny… I also volunteer drive a shuttle for RMHC. Maybe we’ve met each other in passing
Old 09-12-2023, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Are you in Edmonton? Funny… I also volunteer drive a shuttle for RMHC. Maybe we’ve met each other in passing
Sorry, located in Cowtown...still love the "job". Have given up on ever seeing a Stanley Cup

Got 6 kids lined up for tutoring a well.

Life is good and getting better every day
Zeke