Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-31-2014, 07:45 AM

Default Gun jamming

I am having issues with my 300wsm casings jamming. Any suggestions? I have a buddy reloading for me and I am a new hunter so this is all new to me, but very frustrating when this happens.
Old 05-31-2014, 07:46 AM

What do the factory ones do? And how is your buddy reloading for your rifle?

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 05-31-2014, 07:48 AM

Are you keeping your cases separate from his? Full resizing is required if not. Neck sizing only will show with differences in chambers.

Also, make sure he tested your COL (length). You can go longer than default, but jamming bullets into lands without intention of doing so can cause problems.

Also, don't assume his load works for your gun. Always work up loads from a safe starting point.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:08 AM

What do you mean by jamming? Do they not cycle through the action, or is the bolt hard to lift after the gun is fired?
Old 05-31-2014, 10:23 AM

Jamming?
Can you please elaborate.

WSM's, have a habit of shoulder bulging, and sometimes require a bit more savy than your run of the mill bottleneck case.

Without a better explanation, and perhaps a few photos, your not going to get very good advice.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-31-2014, 08:13 PM

I've had trouble with my 300WSM loads not cycling into the chamber without an extra jam to the bolt. Trimmed the brass, full size dies, loaded bullets further from lands than before, ... I think it turned out to be the necks needing turning.
(one round with neck turned fit better but was still not smooth as it should be)
Other thing was, then the bolt was sticky like a hot load, but it was 2 gr of powder less than when I developed it and experienced that. Same bottle of powder, only 15 degrees warmer out...would tight necks have caused both the difficulty chambering and tight bolt?
Old 06-01-2014, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
I've had trouble with my 300WSM loads not cycling into the chamber without an extra jam to the bolt. Trimmed the brass, full size dies, loaded bullets further from lands than before, ... I think it turned out to be the necks needing turning.
(one round with neck turned fit better but was still not smooth as it should be)
Other thing was, then the bolt was sticky like a hot load, but it was 2 gr of powder less than when I developed it and experienced that. Same bottle of powder, only 15 degrees warmer out...would tight necks have caused both the difficulty chambering and tight bolt?
I think you mean thick necks and yes they can cause pressure issues the neck will not have sufficient room to expand and release the bullet easily causeing a pressure spike.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:36 AM

One thing you've got to get used to is, short fat cases don't feed nearly as well as long thin ones.

Grizz
Old 06-01-2014, 10:50 AM

Default count yourself lucky

At least the cartridges aren't jambing.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:53 PM

My son and daughter's boyfriend both bought A7' 300wsm's. My sons was fine but my daughter's boyfriends would always jam with both his magazines. He tried different magazines but they still jammed. He finally just put a tiny little shim in the back of the magazines and it pushed the cartridges ahead just enough that they would feed smoothly after that.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:37 PM

Now I'm confused.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twofifty View Post
Now I'm confused.
WSM~~they can do that to ya.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogslayer403 View Post
I think you mean thick necks and yes they can cause pressure issues the neck will not have sufficient room to expand and release the bullet easily causeing a pressure spike.
Yes, I meant thick neck (causing a tight fit). I guess I should be careful because tight neck has its own meaning already. Thank you for clarifying what I was talking about, and what it could be causing.
Would shoulder bulging be what you correct with "bumping the shoulder back" with the dies?
Thanks everyone. I love all the expertise offered on here.