Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-13-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeFishing View Post
Yeah brass is hard to find, but put up a WTB post in buy sell and you may get some hits, that’s what did

I see the ammo at WWS in north Edmonton every time I looked, also you can order it on Cabelas website and select free shipping for in store pick up, that’s what I do for the items that never seem to stay on the shelf
Thanks...Tried and tried with no luck. Cabelas has only very expensive ammo left for 7mm-08 and Wholesale has nothing I want to buy!
Old 05-19-2014, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgonc86 View Post
Does anyone have suggestion to what rifle to get? I've read a buncha good
Things on savage but have never owned one before.
Just bought a Browning X-Bolt in 7-08. Love it. I have to admit, i am quite comfortable behind the gun. The recoil is minimal enough that I dont flinch at all anymore when I pull.

I'd recommend to look at mid-higher range rifles such as browning, sako, tikka, winchester. I've had enough trouble with the cheaper stuff out there.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4verick View Post
I'd recommend to look at mid-higher range rifles such as browning, sako, tikka, winchester. I've had enough trouble with the cheaper stuff out there.
Is Remington Cheaper? Personally, my 700 is my favorite and most accurate rifle I have owned. It is the Boone and Crockett edition, so fit and finish is top shelf as well, but anyway....I always wonder why Remington is either overlooked or relegated to the 'garbage' category.....along with the Savage, Ruger and others which also deserve a little respect.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-25-2014, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Is Remington Cheaper? Personally, my 700 is my favorite and most accurate rifle I have owned. It is the Boone and Crockett edition, so fit and finish is top shelf as well, but anyway....I always wonder why Remington is either overlooked or relegated to the 'garbage' category.....along with the Savage, Ruger and others which also deserve a little respect.
In my experience Remington could be better. I have a 700 and a 870 shotgun. Had trouble with both of them (wouldn't eject shells properly due to a rough chamber).

I guess it also depends on the edition of the gun you get. Not saying they are crap, but I believe there are better options out there.
Old 05-26-2014, 06:50 AM

Default Killing Machine!

My old man bought one in a Savage 10 youth model with a controllable muzzlebrake for when he teaches hunters Ed so that the kids are comfortable and willing to try shooting anything other than a 243. Needless to say, that 7mm-08 is a tack driver and killing machine with Hornady SST's! last year we had a bunch of doe tags and a buck tag out east. The two that shot were about 200 yards away and dropped right where they were. He also shot a beautiful 5x5 mulie with it from about 250-300 yards and he rain about 80 yards then dropped.

The 7mm-08 is up there on my list of favorite calibers
Old 05-26-2014, 08:29 AM

I have the savage light wight hunter in 7mm08 and it loves its 140s I have yet to take anything with it but its a tack driver and a fun gun to shoot I got it more for my wife but it may end up with me on most hunts this yr
Old 05-26-2014, 10:18 AM

Is this cartridge necked down from the 308?
Old 05-26-2014, 10:21 AM

I believe it's a 308 necked down to take a .284 bullet.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:24 AM

Short action, plenty of ammo choices...light weight, really..it's probably the best all round Round you could buy..considering 90%+ of the game is taken under 200 m....I whacked my last moose with a 7mm Mauser it's ballistic older brother.
Old 05-30-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Elk Hunter View Post
Try the browning x-bolt with the dura touch stock if you can find one. My son had got his first and then my wife liked it so much that she got one as well. So we have two in 7-08, both are tack drivers.

TEH
Bought one a little while ago. A very nice refined rifle. I love the gun and the calibre. a great rifle for a little over $1000.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:30 AM

I bought a Rem 700 SPS youth in 7mm-08 for my small framed 12 yr old son and love the round but have had to play with using factory ammo. Im just starting to reload for it and hope that changes thing for accuracy