Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-28-2020, 09:08 AM

Default Quonset door adjustment?

I’m having a problem with opening and closing my sliding doors on my quonset. Having had shoulder surgery recently, I have a tough time getting them to open or close. They seem to be dragging on the bottom rails. Can anybody tell me of anyone who can do the adjustments I need. I’m in the Killam area. Thank out for your help.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:26 AM

Is the bottom of the door in contact with the dirt? If ground isn’t froze just dig the dirt or gravel down under the door for clearance. Otherwise maybe you need new drive rollers in your top track.

Maybe you could try Darcy at Battle River Overhead door and see if he can help. 780 608 9790.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:31 AM

There should be adjusting bolts on the sliding trucks, whether cannonball style or conventional. There will be 2 trucks per door. Hard to say without seeing it, but there should be access to the adjusting bolts from the inside, they will protrude through the top rail of the door (pointing down) with space for a wrench to work the adjusting nuts. There may be flashing to remove...

I'd offer to help but my hip doesn't like ladders very much. I sympathise with your shoulder. This growing old isn't for cowards.

Pretty much any carpenter outfit should be able to help. You could try asking for names at the local Home Hardware, maybe? Bird Bros. Construction, or JD Construction, out of Viking might be able to help. Both good crews.

Good luck!
Old 11-28-2020, 09:58 AM

If you have the old style square track, I'd upgrade to the cannon ball, much easier on the back.

Grizz
Old 11-28-2020, 10:09 AM

If there is 2 springs per door they might not be sprung evenly and it is causing the door to drag on the sides.
Old 11-28-2020, 10:11 AM

If you're already committed to spending money to have someone adjust it, price out putting in an overhead door instead.
Sliding doors suck.
I have vowed that if the sliding doors on my quonset need as much as a nickel invested in their upkeep, I will replace them with something better.
A guy down the road had an overhead folding hangar door put on his, complete with a built in man door. That is a sweet setup. I think that may be a little too pricy an option for me though....
Old 11-28-2020, 10:30 AM

Default Quonset door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhorse Ranch View Post
There should be adjusting bolts on the sliding trucks, whether cannonball style or conventional. There will be 2 trucks per door. Hard to say without seeing it, but there should be access to the adjusting bolts from the inside, they will protrude through the top rail of the door (pointing down) with space for a wrench to work the adjusting nuts. There may be flashing to remove...

I'd offer to help but my hip doesn't like ladders very much. I sympathise with your shoulder. This growing old isn't for cowards.

Pretty much any carpenter outfit should be able to help. You could try asking for names at the local Home Hardware, maybe? Bird Bros. Construction, or JD Construction, out of Viking might be able to help. Both good crews.

Good luck!
What you describe is what I have. I’ll try to have someone adjust them for me. Thanks to everyone for your help, and yeah you’re right, getting old isn’t for *******.