Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-27-2020, 02:57 AM

Default Untimely DPF Regen

I’m not sure if it’s just me, or that I watch it too closely. But I seem to get the most untimely DPF regenerations. Like out hunting and your about to drive in a stubble field or your just 5 minutes from home on a 2hr drive and it goes into regen. They do not recommend turning the truck off during a regen but I’m not going drive for another 30 minutes for it to complete.
Do you worry about?
Did you just delete it so there’s no more hassles?
Is there really an issue with turning off the truck, uneven cooling of exhaust?
For Fords is it hard on the turbos shutting off in regen?
Old 11-27-2020, 09:28 AM

I can never tell when my Sprinter does it’s regen, nothing lights up on the dash. I did have an issue in the coldest part of last winter when the DEF tank froze though, I got a dash message that it would only start 8 or so more times when that happened. That reminds me, I want to insulate that tank with a double layer of foil bubble wrap so that the heater element in it fares a better chance of actually thawing the DEF.
Old 11-27-2020, 10:09 AM

Heater went in my DEF tank, in the summer.
It wouldn't re-gen, so called up Armor Inc in Red Deer & asked for a price (forget the year I did this).

Under 1k. The giant exhaust drops out & a custom piece put in it's place.
Didn't want or need a tuner, so they flashed the computer & put it tow mode (not the same as the button to do so) and a safe extra 40 HP.

Gets way better mileage & more than enough power to do all I need it to.

Truck is a 2012.
Old 11-27-2020, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
I’m not sure if it’s just me, or that I watch it too closely. But I seem to get the most untimely DPF regenerations. Like out hunting and your about to drive in a stubble field or your just 5 minutes from home on a 2hr drive and it goes into regen. They do not recommend turning the truck off during a regen but I’m not going drive for another 30 minutes for it to complete.
Do you worry about?
Can you put it manually into regen in the middle of the trip where you know you'll be driving over an hour? Putting it into regen when you leave might prevent it from wanting to do that when you're trying to stalk a deer.

Yes, you can skip them occasionally, but if you do, make sure you do it soon after. I've heard that manually stopping a regen too many times can be hard on the head gaskets.

Buddy of mine built a hydrogen generator, and put it on a semi about a year ago. Says he's not had a regen cycle or used any DEF since he did that. The exhaust is pretty clean inside as well. (I haven't personally verified these claims.) Says it's like the engine looks like it's been steam cleaned inside. (this I have seen on one of dad's tractors.)
Old 11-28-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Do you worry about?
What year is your Ford? On mine I have the manual regen turned on so when it’s full I can park the truck somewhere safe and let it do a parked regen. Works great! Also let’s me turn off the automatic regen so if I’m in a bad spot or just about ready to park and shut down I will turn it off before it can start. What I do now is run with it in manual regen all the time and when the alert pops up on the dash that the filter is full I choose either to wait till I drive again, let it regen while driving or do a parked regen when I get home. Simple and works better for the system as it is not always doing a partial burn.
Old 11-28-2020, 10:01 AM

Stopping a regen is not the best, ( best to let it finish ) but as to wether it damages your after treatment or not depends largely on your duty cycle. If you are using your vehicle as a grocery getter or in a short daily commute then if it asks for a regen let it complete. When it comes to after treatment the main thing to remember is that “ If it’s Hot it’s Happy “.

If you are gonna drive under load a great distance (100k ) the next day then I say don’t worry about it.

In winter your DEF will freeze at -11. Def is just Water and Ammonia. If parked outside it will freeze and need to thaw. When you start your vehicle the ECM starts a count down typically 45 mins. In that 45 mins the DEF system must thaw the lines the tank and pressurize to system pressure.

It’s important to remember that DPF and SCR are different components dealing with different issues. DPF is capturing Soot and SCR is dealing with NOX. A regen refers to the DPF temps rising and burning the captured soot to ash.
Old 11-28-2020, 11:32 PM

Delete. It will just continue to be a headache.
Old 11-29-2020, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I can never tell when my Sprinter does it’s regen, nothing lights up on the dash. I did have an issue in the coldest part of last winter when the DEF tank froze though, I got a dash message that it would only start 8 or so more times when that happened. That reminds me, I want to insulate that tank with a double layer of foil bubble wrap so that the heater element in it fares a better chance of actually thawing the DEF.
we had this happen in our dodges at work, our solution was to keep the DEF tank half full. It worked this past winter.
Old 11-29-2020, 09:46 AM

Heater and pump went in my F350 at 106,000km. $2400 to repair and wait 2 weeks for parts or $2100 to delete with tuner. Was really really torn what to do as I didn’t want to void warranty. Finally decided to delete it. Got the truck back within a day went from 19L/100km to 13L/100km. Way more towing power and it’s not even dialled all the way up. This is my 4th truck and first time I’ve done this and 100% will do this again if needed. Won’t go out of my way to do it before warranty is up like some guys do. But if there is ever any need to repair it bye bye
Old 11-29-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdsl View Post
What year is your Ford? On mine I have the manual regen turned on so when it’s full I can park the truck somewhere safe and let it do a parked regen. Works great! Also let’s me turn off the automatic regen so if I’m in a bad spot or just about ready to park and shut down I will turn it off before it can start. What I do now is run with it in manual regen all the time and when the alert pops up on the dash that the filter is full I choose either to wait till I drive again, let it regen while driving or do a parked regen when I get home. Simple and works better for the system as it is not always doing a partial burn.
Mine is a 2017, I think that was eliminated, likely because it was effective and required less servicing. LOL. All I get is the % life of the filter at 99% it will go into regen and there is no why to stop it. Unless it doesn’t meet permissive which more then 1/8 of a tank of fuel, at operating temp, traveling over 50km/hr.
Old 11-29-2020, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddawg View Post
Heater and pump went in my F350 at 106,000km. $2400 to repair and wait 2 weeks for parts or $2100 to delete with tuner. Was really really torn what to do as I didn’t want to void warranty. Finally decided to delete it. Got the truck back within a day went from 19L/100km to 13L/100km. Way more towing power and it’s not even dialled all the way up. This is my 4th truck and first time I’ve done this and 100% will do this again if needed. Won’t go out of my way to do it before warranty is up like some guys do. But if there is ever any need to repair it bye bye
That stuff wasn’t covered under warranty?
Old 11-29-2020, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Mine is a 2017, I think that was eliminated, likely because it was effective and required less servicing. LOL. All I get is the % life of the filter at 99% it will go into regen and there is no why to stop it. Unless it doesn’t meet permissive which more then 1/8 of a tank of fuel, at operating temp, traveling over 50km/hr.
Use FORScan to turn on the operator commanded regen (OCR) and it works great. Or get the dealer to enable it for you, either way it is a factory option in the engine ECM that just needs to be enabled. Then do like I do, disable auto regen and you decide when to do it. Works amazing.
Old 11-29-2020, 06:10 PM

I got a 2019 f350 28k on it. I’ve been watching for a regen code but haven’t seen it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-29-2020, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzcold View Post
I got a 2019 f350 28k on it. I’ve been watching for a regen code but haven’t seen it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If the dash doesn’t have the % full then its not likely enabled on you truck. So your truck will def regen with you knowing. The only sign is a increase in fuel mileage. Mine regenerates about 1 time each tank of fuel.

Last edited by Off in the Bushes; 11-29-2020 at 08:10 PM.
Old 11-29-2020, 08:07 PM

This might enable tit for you viewing
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...he-2017-a.html
Old 11-29-2020, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdsl View Post
Use FORScan to turn on the operator commanded regen (OCR) and it works great. Or get the dealer to enable it for you, either way it is a factory option in the engine ECM that just needs to be enabled. Then do like I do, disable auto regen and you decide when to do it. Works amazing.
I think that I just found out how form the link I provided in the other comments.
Old 11-29-2020, 09:11 PM

Quote:
That stuff wasn’t covered under warranty?
Nope. I was bumper to bumper to 60k and drivetrain to 160. Apparently the dpf is only covered under the bumper to bumper. I was pretty ticked off to hear this as to me that's part of the operational part of the engine.
Old 11-29-2020, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddawg View Post
Nope. I was bumper to bumper to 60k and drivetrain to 160. Apparently the dpf is only covered under the bumper to bumper. I was pretty ticked off to hear this as to me that's part of the operational part of the engine.
Most emissions warranties are even longer. Cummins offers 5 years emissions warranty on their engines but not sure how it works through automotive. I’ve replaced complete engines due to grid heater failures under emissions warranty that were 3 years old.
Old 12-02-2020, 02:12 PM

I swear my 2012 knew where I lived as it would regen when I was a few k form home!!!! It would give a prompt to ...... drive to clean exhaust filter.

It was my first diesel and I had a EGR cooler replaced under warranty all coked up.

My 2017 does not show the prompt for when entering regen. Also, the forced regen only works on some models/ years. I think XL and XLT..... could be wrong here. Mine is a platinum and will not enable through the cluster. I brought it to High River Ford to have a tech do it and he could not at that time????
I have read about forscan tool allowing this.

You should smell the regen especially when at a stop. I now try to drive 20 minutes or so and do not put in park when a regen occurs.