Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-15-2020, 08:03 PM

Default electric cars

anyone on here have one ? i am curious how they preform in this weather ,
Old 01-15-2020, 09:55 PM

There was a Tesla westbound on hwy 16 this morning, sitting on the shoulder with his hazards on, so I’m guessing something didn’t go as planned for him. I’m sure they would have significantly reduced range with the heater going hard.
Old 01-15-2020, 11:14 PM

I've read on a few different forums now that the battery life in a deep freeze has really poor reserve capacity.

Here's a couple random Google grabs

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/co...ies-2019-02-07

https://electrek.co/2018/11/14/tesla...weather-flaws/
Old 01-16-2020, 06:14 AM

Saw one driving around yesterday but that was in the city.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:35 AM

If you are on Reddit r/calgary, there is a good thread with owners discussing their experiences this week. Doesnt sound too bad if you are only friving local but long distances will be an issue. Sounds like the rest of the cold is the same or even better than a gasser.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:48 AM

My Son said his Toyota Prius runs 100 percent on gasoline at -14 or lower temps.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:31 AM

it sounds like they handling the cold as well as gasoline cars , from what i am reading . interesting .
Old 01-16-2020, 08:37 AM

"Near-record demand triggers electricity emergency alerts in Alberta Monday night" (Global News )

I wonder how much more often this would be an issue if we were all in Electric cars ( the climate alarmist's wet dream)
Old 01-16-2020, 08:42 AM

25% less range at 0 degrees
50% range at -20 degrees
Consumer reports did the testing last year, you can google the article for more information.
Tesla Model 3 price 130K!
Makes zero sense to own one. A Toyota Prius is hands down the way to go, 2nd choice would be an economy car like a carolla.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
"Near-record demand triggers electricity emergency alerts in Alberta Monday night" (Global News )

I wonder how much more often this would be an issue if we were all in Electric cars ( the climate alarmist's wet dream)
Yeah totally makes sense to me to push people towards electric cars when we have days where we overload the grid already.

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 01-16-2020, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. Gusto View Post
Makes zero sense to own one.
i agree , however , they are gaining popularity . i fear that we may not have a choice in the near future .
Old 01-16-2020, 09:12 AM

Monday night I watched one being loaded onto a flatbed tow truck. According to the neighbor he thinks the cold completely killed his battery. I was to afraid to ask what a new battery would be worth.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 01-16-2020, 09:18 AM

Talking

Quote:
50% range at -20 degrees
Consumer reports did the testing last year, you can google the article for more information.
Makes zero sense to own one. A Toyota Prius is hands down the way to go, 2nd choice would be an economy car like a carolla.

You didn't mention a Pinto

(Just sold a few days ago for 200k)

Last edited by Reeves1; 01-16-2020 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
50% range at -20 degrees
A cold spell like this drives home the shortfalls of alternate systems, but nobody is listening, Environmentalists think in California terms.

Grizz
Old 01-16-2020, 09:44 AM

Talking

Couple more electric cars.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATUSAjZPcos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xycfysAM7IY
Old 11-28-2020, 08:54 AM

Interesting.

Those are US dollars below!

Quote:
Tesla buyer manages to get fully working Model S for just $15,000, thanks to single bad battery cell - Electrek

“ They didn’t explain why Tesla didn’t replace the battery pack under its eight-year powertrain warranty, but they said the automaker was quoting the new owner roughly $20,000 with labor to replace the battery pack.”

https://electrek.co/2020/11/27/tesla...-battery-cell/

So much for all that propaganda about so many fewer moving parts:

Quote:
Tesla Reliability Sinks In Consumer Reports Annual Study

“ Tesla’s overall poor performance in the annual study placed it second to last among the 26 ranked brands.
Ford’s Lincoln brand was dead last, while the Ford brand was dragged down by struggles with its Explorer and Escape. ”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/edgarst...annual-survey/

Old 11-28-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
i agree , however , they are gaining popularity . i fear that we may not have a choice in the near future .
The problem is, that while it's easy to legislate people to switch to electric vehicles, it will cost many billions to make changes to the electrical distribution system, in order to he able to charge them all. When subdivisions were first built, the electrical components were sized based on a calculated demand load, and in almost all cases, electric vehicles were not factored into that demand load. Given the significant power requirements to charge an electric vehicle, we will max out the distribution systems before even 20% of homes switch to electric vehicles.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KinAlberta View Post
Interesting.

Those are US dollars below!

So much for all that propaganda about so many fewer moving parts:

That's simply because Tesla is a new and inexperienced auto maker, and not because electric vehicles are less reliable. Tesla is quite well known for ****ty quality and have even worse panels gaps than Ford's.

When we get mainstream electric vehicles from established auto makers, the cars will most certainly be more reliable as they absolutely have far fewer parts.
Old 11-28-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
50% range at -20 degrees
A Tesla 3 is the least expensive Tesla and can be bought in the 50s new.

Until charging stations are readily availible. and cars can be charged in the same amount of time (or close to it) as filling up ones car. We still still have a ways to go.

Hybrid technology has come a long ways. Almost every manufacturer offers a hybrid and the premium prices for hybrids aren't what they used to be. They're affordable, come in all models and they make a lot of sense.
Old 11-28-2020, 10:41 AM

An old farmer here has had a hybrid for years. He drove it back and forth from his farm to town for 3 months on $20 worth of fuel.
Everything breaks down, but this is coming, like it or not.
I was really hoping there would be a micro-hydrogen reactor breakthrough, but thats apparently not going to happen.

I will get a hybrid F150 after a few years of someone else guinea pigging it.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-28-2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The problem is, that while it's easy to legislate people to switch to electric vehicles, it will cost many billions to make changes to the electrical distribution system, in order to he able to charge them all. When subdivisions were first built, the electrical components were sized based on a calculated demand load, and in almost all cases, electric vehicles were not factored into that demand load. Given the significant power requirements to charge an electric vehicle, we will max out the distribution systems before even 20% of homes switch to electric vehicles.
I’m still trying to wrap my head around this. When you consider a typical residential demand load that peaks around supper time, then flatlines until the next morning, isn’t there plenty of unused capacity during those ‘off’ hours? Smart chargers are based on total demand and ‘throttle’ themselves accordingly. There is no doubt in my mind that small form factor electric vehicles for urban stop and go commuting is the future. The biggest returns come from the ‘small’.
Old 11-28-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post
I’m still trying to wrap my head around this. When you consider a typical residential demand load that peaks around supper time, then flatlines until the next morning, isn’t there plenty of unused capacity during those ‘off’ hours? Smart chargers are based on total demand and ‘throttle’ themselves accordingly. There is no doubt in my mind that small form factor electric vehicles for urban stop and go commuting is the future. The biggest returns come from the ‘small’.
If you could regulate that these vehicles only charge during non peak hours, and you could stagger the charging times, and most vehicles only made short trips, and didn't require a lot of charging, there wouldn't be an issue. However, not everyone works 9-5 jobs, so charging times would vary, and some would be charging during peak hours.This is especially true where many people work shiftwork. As well, some people are driving into the night, and would need to charge their vehicle during the day. And some people drive a lot more than short trips, which requires more charging. Lastly, one vehicle charging, can draw what an average home normally draws, and many families have multiple vehicles, which would mean multiple vehicles charging at once.
And them there is the issue of maintaining our electrical equipment. Typically the equipment is taken off line during low demand hours to do short term maintenance work, but if you are charging all of those vehicles, at night, there is no longer a low demand time to take equipment down for maintenance. And of course running at full capacity at all times, requires more maintenance, and shortens the lifespan of some equipment. That means building more equipment, to create spares for short term maintenance, and component replacements.
And this only addresses consumer automobiles, and not electric semi trailers to replace all of the diesel semis. Those semis operate much longer, and would put even more demand on our power systems.
Old 11-28-2020, 11:29 AM

I would like me a hybrid. Grocery getter!

Sent from my SM-G975W using Tapatalk
Old 11-28-2020, 12:40 PM
Banned

We have two electric cars and they both run fine in this weather.
‘Course they are 1/32 scale slot cars 😂
Old 11-29-2020, 09:06 AM

I've been watching (not researching) for many years. I, personally, don't think electric cars are there yet. I also figure we are going to have grid issues. When I bought my retirement house, I upgraded the electrical (before all this fuss - to run a heat pump and a shop). I had to bring the power in from one pole further up the road due to some load calculation or other by the power company. I spent a whack of money doing this (kicking myself for having committed to spending this amount). It's looking more and more like a smart investment. Nobody down the road can upgrade their services without having to pay the power company for major upgrades, I got the last upgrade for our area. I could use an electric car there (Vancouver Island) but I don't intend to. I look at battery prices etc. and it just isn't worth it.

A plug in hybrid, specifically a Prius though... Their reliability is through the roof, they are (relatively) cheap and easy to repair if you are a bit handy, and their tech is proven tech. For most of my useage it could be electric, with gas backup for long runs.

I think if you do your research, you can do well. If you "just want" an electric vehicle, buy new, trade in often. I'm a buy and run into the ground guy. My vehicles are usually researched up the ying yang and bought used.

I haven't been burnt since teenage years in highschool and somebody talked me into a Pinto. I think we have his twin on this site...

Just kidding. Never did have a Pinto...
Old 11-29-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
An old farmer here has had a hybrid for years. He drove it back and forth from his farm to town for 3 months on $20 worth of fuel.
Everything breaks down, but this is coming, like it or not.
I was really hoping there would be a micro-hydrogen reactor breakthrough, but thats apparently not going to happen.

I will get a hybrid F150 after a few years of someone else guinea pigging it.
There was a very recent hybrid in the local machinery auction a few months ago. It had a simple brake problem, apparently. I was interested till I researched and found it would have ben a 5 Grand fix. That's why it was there.

Grizz
Old 11-29-2020, 09:17 AM
Banned

As we start to transition more into the EV, I worry the cost of electricity will go through the roof... Our current system has roughly a 33 % tax per liter of fuel, this equates to over 24 Billion in revenue...

Just watch your basic consumer costs explode, cost of living will increase substantially.
Old 11-29-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post
Decades ago when I was more knowledgeable about such things, Alberta typically had two peaks. A summer peak and a winter peak. Summer peak was on a hot day around 2 pm and winter peak was usually on a cold day in December at around 6 pm. The industrial customers could sign up for discounted interruptible load rates as a peak shaving measure where the utilities facing critical demand could ask the interruptible load customers to cut back on their demand. I recall that those customers rates excluded some or all of the grid’s capital costs (fixed asset/plant costs) on the basis that they weren’t reliably allowed service. In other words they only paid the variable ( i.e. fuel) costs. Quite the deal when capacity was high and interruptions rare.

Today with tech advances there’s likely all kinds of new peak shaving possibilities on the horizon. Some could even be coded into chargers as a cost savings benefit to car buyers. Utilities could basically control your charger within some bounds and limitations.

Last edited by KinAlberta; 11-29-2020 at 09:36 AM.
Old 11-29-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Brew View Post

I haven't been burnt since teenage years in highschool and somebody talked me into a Pinto. I think we have his twin on this site...

Just kidding. Never did have a Pinto...

Now is your chance....I'll sell my BOSS 302 powered car to you !
Old 11-29-2020, 09:56 AM

I do not have one, but I do want to buy a Tesla in a few years. My commute to work, at least currently, is only 5.6 KM. Be perfect to have a Tesla to just zip back and forth. The near instant heat would be awesome in the winter as well—with my current V6 SUV daily driver I’m halfway home by the time I get heat in -5, nevermind -20.

I already keep a truck around for long drives and hauling stuff, so range doesn’t worry me much at all.

At this point, I’m just waiting for a Tesla dealer to open in Edmonton, and for it to make more financial sense for me to do. Not really interested in these economic times to sign up for payments on $70,000.