Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2018, 08:39 PM
Banned

Default Estate sale assistance...

A friend is pushing 70 and looking to move into assisted living, she has a houseful of stuff to get rid of. She had asked about posting to kijiji, but I can see that becoming a nightmare before long.

Anyone around Edmonton that knows how to deal with estate sales without breaking the bank?
Old 03-19-2018, 08:42 PM

Contact an auction house.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:46 PM

Thumbs down

I would auction as a VERY last option, sorry Ishpah. They did that for my Grandma for this very reason, after everything was painstakingly sorted by family for weeks the auction staff threw everything in boxes and tossed it out as quick as possible to move on to the next sale.
The scum buyers were packing their own boxes too, hiding valuable items in boxes of garbage and throwing everything they didnt want out everywhere on the property.
Facebook forums, Kijiji, online buy and sell, anything but an auction if there is anything of any real value. Pricing the items may be the biggest problem, other than a time crunch. Etransfer and shipping is preferable if you have the manpower.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-19-2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
A friend is pushing 70 and looking to move into assisted living, she has a houseful of stuff to get rid of. She had asked about posting to kijiji, but I can see that becoming a nightmare before long.

Anyone around Edmonton that knows how to deal with estate sales without breaking the bank?
Easy, call a couple of ‘estate liquidators’ in for a quote. Some deal high end, some deal with this very situation. I have done work with a gal in Calgary who does an excellent job. No references in Edmonton, but a quick google should get you there.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:11 PM

I don't know about one to recommend, but here's one to avoid! : http://outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthrea...t=brian+lehman

The victim: https://www.rainbowsociety.ab.ca/
Old 03-20-2018, 08:27 AM

Hey SD.

I did my mother-in-laws myself. There are three things to consider. Heirlooms (sentimental family items), Timing and value.

1. Is there family that would find items to be of sentimental value? Depending upon internal family politics you could give everyone a few colored stickies. Family can place them on the items they want. Any conflicts those in conflict can decide who gets it and select something else or neither gets it and they can each put a price on it and whoever pays more gets it. It is a shame when mementos leave the family sphere.

2. Is revenue from the sale of items in the house important for retirement. If so a company that specializes in coming to the home to sell usually takes 40%. Auction houses can take a negotiated value but generally fairly high also. Sometimes they take it all away and deal with what doesn't sell. Saves effort on your part.

3. Timing is critical as to when the house needs to be vacant. If do it yourself...plan that in.

I did the sale myself.

Set up signs in the neighborhood. Posted sale in Kijiji.

If doing it yourself you will have three categories of stuff.

1. Stuff that will always sell and higher value items that should be priced accordingly.

2. Everyday household stuff...old dishes...clothes...cleaning supplies...food (cans etc.). This you price accordingly...looking for people starting out, immigrants, down and outers...people looking for camping stuff.

3. Give aways...giant computer tables...old rugs...anything you can do to give it away. Watch for anyone with interest. Start cheap and end up with free.

Trick is to get rid of everything. Price right. Rule of thumb is turn away a sale and nobody else will want it.

Have a few helpers. Shoplifters/thieves love these sales. It is easy to watch for. Don't be afraid to confront. BY confront I mean if you don't trust them...trust your gut and be in their face like in overly helpful. They will leave.

Keep all valuable jewelry, gold, watches, camera separate.

List all larger items and more expensive items in Kijiji a few days to a week before the sale. Price higher in Kijiji than at the sale. Gives you a great sense of pricing if nothing sells in Kijiji.

Price collectibles via ebay pricing...and discount.

During the sale...consolidate stuff into few and fewer rooms. Second day put boxes together...$10/box. Last few hours hand stuff for free to any buyers just to get it out the door.

Some thrift stores will come in...don't hesitate to sell it cheap. Someone will use it versus the dump.

My thoughts.

Sun

I cleaned out the whole house in 2 days. Only had two minivan loads of smaller stuff to take to value village.

P.S. I like selling stuff and meeting and chatting with people. I found it fun however if this ain't your shtick then going the auction route works. I did make my mother-in-law a lot more money than the auction would of.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-20-2018, 08:40 AM

Are there any swap meets around Edmonton like in AZ?
Twice a week in a lot of towns and cities they have swap meets thousands come to buy its a whole lot of fun everything from soup to nuts looks like a good way to dispose of things.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Are there any swap meets around Edmonton like in AZ?
Twice a week in a lot of towns and cities they have swap meets thousands come to buy its a whole lot of fun everything from soup to nuts looks like a good way to dispose of things.
Way too much in a house for that. You need people to come and take away.

Some people that come and buy stuff at the house can go there and try and flip for a profit.

If all you had was some furniture and a few nik naks in a small apartment...then maybe. Still always assume what you take you return home with if not sold.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 03-20-2018, 11:00 AM

http://whatsitworthbrian.com

Brian Lehman is well respected. I am on his estate sale mailing list. and have seen him do one in Fort Saskatchewan, although most are in southern Alberta.

If we can ever convince Mom to move, I hope she hires him or someone similar. I just can't imagine the hassle.

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!