Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-29-2019, 08:22 AM
AO Sponsor

Default SuperMagnum!!!

Yes, you did read that right!!!

Release date is hopefully within the week??? They are supposed to be getting manufactured as we speak... I mean as you read this! Check out our website for more information.

Again, like the original intention of the Magnum, designed to handle wolf, tested heavily on coyote, (350 +/- and counting!!!) and has proven to deliver catastrophic results on coyote and will also flatten wolf!

YIKES!!!!

Don’t have them priced quite yet, but will keep you posted on our website.

Truthfully, with a good lock, I have not seen it’s equal. I do not believe we can see any improvement on this design.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:17 AM

I noticed these on your website the other day Marty. Are these made of the “deluxe” wire or the cheaper wire?
Old 01-30-2019, 09:41 AM
AO Sponsor

These will be the Deluxe springs of highest quality steel. Is that what you were hoping for?

Much stronger than a Magnum, much longer arm throw means the spring puts your animal down faster. I’m very impressed with this spring!
Old 01-30-2019, 10:00 AM

It’s exactly what I was hoping. I’m certainly interested in trying some when they come in.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:26 AM

Marty, How do you find these for hiding and for balancing of the snare, do you find the loops form as nicely as with the smaller springs?
Old 01-30-2019, 03:32 PM

Do you set these with the same setting tool?
Old 01-30-2019, 05:48 PM

Default Supermagnum

What is the best lock to use with these? Thanks.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:25 PM

must be heavy weight ?
Old 01-30-2019, 08:33 PM

I would guess they would close the loop real fast ,I've used some magnums and they are great . These look just shy of a power ram .

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2019, 07:36 AM
AO Sponsor

They are significantly heavier than the Magnum, it does change the shape of the loop a little on 1/16, which is basically all I use, but making a slight adjustment to your technique, hanging them out in the trails is no problem. Once you see the results of the lightning fast kills, one likely will be happy to make it work. With 5/64" 1x19 it makes a more rounded loop.

Same setting tool can be used , but you also have to adjust technique, meaning one arm goes on the one bolt/pin of the setter and the other arm goes on the nut of the opposite handle instead of normal on the bolt/pin, right against the handle.

Same trigger, use the #2 Alberta Powersnare TM trigger. As with the Magnum, clip the trigger on the wire-end side of the spring eyelet which is also called the dead side. Never clip any model spring on the active side of the eyelet, which comprises the spring arm.

Best lock to use... It's been a Lightning Lock winter for me this year, totally except I tried 100 smooth stock camlocks with hand filed teeth. Lots of people are taking the Bridger Sure Hold Camlocks with machine stamped teeth and touching up the teeth with the Camlock file. All three of these locks will be a good choice, aside from the fact that we are sold out of 1/16 Lightning Locks for a time. There is no 5/64" Lightning Lock so only use the Bridger Sure Grip Camlock w teeth on 5/64".
Old 02-10-2019, 08:31 PM

Default Snare wire pulling through eyelet on Magnum spring

Are the eyelets closed tighter than on the Magnums? I’ve had three or four, can’t remember which, where the cable/wire pulled through the eyelet and you’re left with the spring hanging form one eye, completely useless. I check them before I make up my snares and they all seem to uniformly fairly tight but the odd one is not holding the wire in the loop.

And I’ve had a terrible time with cam locks. They’re just not holding. I got them from Halfords last year and tossed the package so I don’t know what brand they are. They’re black, with stamped teeth, hardened, can’t put a file to them. And I’ve also tried some galvanized, same result. And this is all with 1/16 wire. I just made up some snares with 3/32 wire so we’ll see how they work. Put the first of them out today
Old 02-11-2019, 08:06 AM
AO Sponsor

The good news is the manufacturer got hounded on the eyelet gaps, will see what the finished product is shortly. On your existing springs, best thing to do is a simple modification, give them a squeeze in the third hole of the bench swager if you have one, if not use a buddy's. Don't get carried away, very hard steel can crack if you squeeze too tight.

The manufacturer did decide to make the shipment late but will arrive in Hays this week.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:59 PM

I think we need a little video of how you set your snares with these much larger springs Marty...
Old 02-13-2019, 05:46 PM
Banned

Pretty soon the pliers required ,will be the same size as those I use to set my 330"
Old 02-13-2019, 09:12 PM

I've never used any of these devices, there's obviously some weight and I don't know how it's held above a SET snare without imposing its weight and resulting in drooping or collapsing... the revised model is even larger and heavier.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:36 AM
AO Sponsor

We use #9 wire to hold snares off the ground. A piece of #9 wire is much lighter and cheaper than the massive ram spring that you use to suspend your snare, and is more safe to the public. Wire the #9 to a sapling simply to suspend, not anchor. Don’t get me wrong, I happily state the ram to be an awesome tool, but I like this much more. We all have our preferences.

Same setting tool.

One arm goes on the pin, other spring arm directly on the nut right beside the setting tool handle. Nobody needs buy or make a bigger setter.

Once you get used to the spring, you won’t bat an eye at it. I had 5 of my top 10 days of my career using a high percentage Supermags. The kiyutes didn’t mind them one bit.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:06 AM
AO Sponsor

Look close, same setter, spring arm on nut. Easy as pie!