Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-16-2018, 07:57 PM

Default Another great trip to Punta de Mita

Deb and I just returned from a quick trip down to Punta de Mita (it definitely helps when you work for an airline and get super sweet deals on flights, have a flexible schedule and don't have kids).

As usual, we were able to get out with our guide/friend Erasmo Valencia ( Erasmostours) and he did a great job of getting us onto some fish (though Deb still needs to break the habit of a trout set when salt water fishing)... Anyway, we had fun chasing schools of Bonito, Jacks and Snapper, eating at the local taco stands, and drinking Pacifico and Margaritas. Oh and that Snapper was delicious on the BBQ!

-Confucius
Old 01-16-2018, 08:50 PM

Great post!
Old 01-16-2018, 09:04 PM

Sounds like fun
Old 01-16-2018, 11:42 PM

Nice snapper!

Bonito are one of my favourite fly rod fish to catch. Pound for pound I don't know of any other fish that pulls harder.

Where you chumming with Sardinas or something else? I know a lot of anglers look down on chumming, but when you get offshore you usually need something extra to get the fish into fly casting range.

Where exactly is Punta de Mita?
Old 01-17-2018, 08:40 AM

Pike,

No chumming this trip. Sardines are getting harder and harder to come by (I don't think they are running this time of year - at least that's what we were told). That definitely made it more challenging that's for sure, but searching out nervous water and looking for birds feeding is the key (along with a good guide able to find both). I would say Jacks (Jack Crevalle) pull harder pound for pound - but are some what harder to find - but when you find them... Look out!! Boninto are definitely fun, nonetheless.

Punta de Mita is about 30ish miles north of Puerto Vallarta (super easy local bus ride from PVR about CDN$2 vs US$60 for a taxi ride), but that's our comfort level... It's where all the boats from PV go to fish.

Cheers,

Peter

P.S. Anyone who thinks they are an accomplished fresh water fly angler that hasn't experienced salt water fly fishing, is in for a treat (or should I say challenge!!). It's a humbling experience that's for sure! I've only been salt water fly fishing for abut 4 years (once maybe twice a year) and it's tough!! Minimum 50' cast into the wind while trying to balance at the bow of a rocking boat! Humbling is an understatement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
Nice snapper!

Bonito are one of my favourite fly rod fish to catch. Pound for pound I don't know of any other fish that pulls harder.

Where you chumming with Sardinas or something else? I know a lot of anglers look down on chumming, but when you get offshore you usually need something extra to get the fish into fly casting range.

Where exactly is Punta de Mita?

-Confucius

Last edited by ÜberFly; 01-17-2018 at 09:04 AM.
Old 10-25-2018, 10:15 AM

This looks awesome - does the guide have a website/contact info? Is it feasible to do a half day trip? I am on a family vaca pre-Xmas in the PV area so would love to sneak away for a 1/2 day of salt fly-fishing. What was the cost like?
Old 10-26-2018, 08:45 AM

Well said on the salt water challenges. Curious as to what you were using for rod/reel combos.
Old 10-26-2018, 07:11 PM

Yes Erasmo is on IG & Facebook he has a website ( but it’s pretty basic). Also listed on Tripadvisor. PM me and Ill give you all the details you need as far as getting there gear etc.

We bring 8 wt and 10 wt rods/reels and SW ( intermediate sink and sink lines). We use the 8 wts when We fish from the jetty and 10 wts inshore.

Let me know what other info you might need.

We have done 6 trips with him thus far and only one misunderstanding ( to which he made up).

Peter

P.S. Winston B3 SX rods Galvan Torque
and Grip reels.

$450 US that’s a “full day”.

Google Fly fishing Punta de Mita and all his contact info comes up.

-Confucius

Last edited by ÜberFly; 10-26-2018 at 07:20 PM.