Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 10-17-2015, 05:19 PM

Default Recommend me a bobbin

What you guys using
Old 10-17-2015, 07:27 PM

Norvice auto Bobbin, like em so much I have 6 of them. The thin metal spools take much less space than thread spools. Used them for about 8 years and always reach for them before anything else. Also use the Rite half hitch Bobbin for large streamers plus also use the Mp Thread Through Swiss Bobbin, a super quality product.

Owned or used most brands over the years. Most didn't cut it for me and don't feel comfortable in hand. Whatever you get, I would lean toward the ceramic tubes to avoid thread cutting over time. Metal tubes get scored by thread and the edges can actually get sharpened and gouged cutting thread.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 10-17-2015, 09:35 PM

Bobbins with ceramic inserts and the longer the tube the better as the long tuber makes winding easier. have a dozen bobbins all ceramic and most are long tubes. Some are over 15 years old and still OK and I tie a lot of flies. Have been tying almost 60 years.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:30 AM

Use Griffin Bobbbin c/w ceramic inserts. Got about 10 of them. Have't toosed one get due to wear. Some of them are quite old. Below is a link to the one I use

http://griffinenterprisesinc.com/mod...297473C38775.c

Regards,

Don
Old 10-18-2015, 01:30 PM

Smile

I use the Rite bobbin. It has a good ceramic tube and you can adjust the tension on it. It just works well. You can buy them locally in some of the fly shops. http://ritebobbin.com/
Old 10-19-2015, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
I use the Rite bobbin. It has a good ceramic tube and you can adjust the tension on it. It just works well. You can buy them locally in some of the fly shops. http://ritebobbin.com/
Ditto

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 10-19-2015, 07:25 AM

I use a couple of the rite bobbins, a couple of Griffins and believe it or not I have about 6 cheap ones from superfly, all with the ceramic tube. I think I still have the cheap one that came with my kit without the ceramic tube.
If you are just starting to tie, buy whichever bobbin you can afford with a ceramic tube. I can't tell much difference between the griffin and the superfly and the rite bobbin is a pretty expensive gimmick( although it does a pretty good job).You can spoil yourself later with a more expensive one.