Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-25-2015, 08:31 PM

Default Fly tying

Hello folks, I'm still fairly new to fly tying so need some assistance, is there a cheaper alternative to buy soft hackle? Few place I stopped by did not carry smaller packages and they are quite pricey. Can't afford 50$ or more... Now I'm just tying wet flies like the prince nymphs variation. Any help would be appreciated thanks!
Old 09-26-2015, 02:28 AM

Your best bet would be to find someone who bird hunts. A grouse or partridge skin will last you several years of tying. I skin one every few years just for that. I don't have any extra and am not going hunting for a few weeks yet, but I imagine there are others who may be able to help.

Last edited by j0rdo; 09-26-2015 at 02:47 AM.
Old 09-26-2015, 12:44 PM

that’s not a bad idea, few guys i work with are planning to go out hunting this fall i could try that. thanks
Old 09-26-2015, 12:55 PM

Go online and find yourself a cheap Indian or Chinese cock cape in furnace. About 10 bucks and they are usually quite soft. Cabela's Canada carries them but they are on back order.

Thomas Sowell
Old 10-06-2015, 01:21 PM

Partridge and pheasant are # one for soft hackles. BUT your local fly shop should have soft hen necks for 8 to 12 bucks. Dark and light colors. My hen hackles are from Fly ANGLER and are $10.00 They are called a Saddle Patch and are excellent. Good for about a size #14 to a #6 hook. A partridge can cost a small fortune. $20.00 bucks or more but a pheasant skin is pretty inexpensive from Fly Angler. I think I paid someware around $12 to $15 bucks.
Bjay
Old 10-06-2015, 10:08 PM

Not sure if you have buddies that tie but you can always split the cost since you get so much anyways. I used to get all mine cheep from a A buddy that was a hackle farmer but they sold their birds this year and are out of the hackle business
Old 10-09-2015, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjay View Post
Partridge and pheasant are # one for soft hackles. BUT your local fly shop should have soft hen necks for 8 to 12 bucks. Dark and light colors. My hen hackles are from Fly ANGLER and are $10.00 They are called a Saddle Patch and are excellent. Good for about a size #14 to a #6 hook. A partridge can cost a small fortune. $20.00 bucks or more but a pheasant skin is pretty inexpensive from Fly Angler. I think I paid someware around $12 to $15 bucks.
Bjay
thank,I will definitely check them out!