Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-27-2015, 09:35 PM

Default Decoying antelope

Hunting partners were drawing for archery antelope, what days do you think they decoy best. Drawing in 102/118
Thanks
Old 07-27-2015, 10:17 PM

Default Antelope decoy

I've taken 2 P&Y antelope bucks and been behind the decoy helping my buddies for 3 others. All taken in zone 118 and all in the 3rd week of September. September 17 - 24 has been prime time for us. A big problem is most guys have the itch to get after them as soon as the season opens. But the time the rut gets into full swing, a lot of the bucks have been unsuccessfully decoyed and can be quite spooky. Once you find a buck with doe's, get the wind in your favour and try and sneak in to within 100 yards. The closer the better. If your spotted at any time, you may as well pack up and head back to the truck. If you managed to get in, get the shooter ready and pop up the decoy. Sometimes the bucks will come right in on the run, other times they will come in slow and cautious and sometimes they just round up there doe's and leave. Most shots will be in the 30 - 50 yard range but be prepared for a possible close shot. My first buck was shot at 3 yards. Make sure the guy holding the decoy has a range finder. It can be tough to judge distances in the prairies. Good luck and have a great hunt. It's probably the funniest hunt you will ever have.
Old 07-27-2015, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4bowhunter View Post
I've taken 2 P&Y antelope bucks and been behind the decoy helping my buddies for 3 others. All taken in zone 118 and all in the 3rd week of September. September 17 - 24 has been prime time for us. A big problem is most guys have the itch to get after them as soon as the season opens. But the time the rut gets into full swing, a lot of the bucks have been unsuccessfully decoyed and can be quite spooky. Once you find a buck with doe's, get the wind in your favour and try and sneak in to within 100 yards. The closer the better. If your spotted at any time, you may as well pack up and head back to the truck. If you managed to get in, get the shooter ready and pop up the decoy. Sometimes the bucks will come right in on the run, other times they will come in slow and cautious and sometimes they just round up there doe's and leave. Most shots will be in the 30 - 50 yard range but be prepared for a possible close shot. My first buck was shot at 3 yards. Make sure the guy holding the decoy has a range finder. It can be tough to judge distances in the prairies. Good luck and have a great hunt. It's probably the funniest hunt you will ever have.
Thanks for the info, not sure which week we r going yet, second or third. Both friends with the tags will be their first time, I am just as excited as they r just to be the decoy guy.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:56 AM

Default Decoy

I have tried decoying with 2 hunters behind the decoy. In all but one case we were busted. Speed goats have incredible eyesight and one more body possibly moving can be enough to spook the buck off. To increase your buddies chances, I would just have one guy holding the decoy and one shooter. Leave the other guy at the truck.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4bowhunter View Post
I have tried decoying with 2 hunters behind the decoy. In all but one case we were busted. Speed goats have incredible eyesight and one more body possibly moving can be enough to spook the buck off. To increase your buddies chances, I would just have one guy holding the decoy and one shooter. Leave the other guy at the truck.
Good point. what decoy do you prefer?
Old 07-28-2015, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBB View Post
If you can get your hands on a Mel Dutton decoy you will be in good shape
Old 07-28-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Montana Decoys make a really lightweight and lifelike decoy...actual live picture quaility..

https://www.montanadecoy.com/hunting.../antelope-buck

Neil
Old 07-28-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
I don't even know what brand mine is, I know they don't make it anymore. It is a hard plastic that swivels at two points to make it easy to carry. What I didn't like though was when it's windy (which it always is) the swivel would flap a bit in the wind causing some noise. I ended up fusing the joints and it is completely solid now. A little harder to carry but it sure has worked awesome for us. We call him "Bob". He's a stud, lol. I'd bet he's decoyed in over 30 antelope bucks.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Hunting partners were drawing for archery antelope, what days do you think they decoy best. Drawing in 102/118
Thanks
I agree with 4x4, but will add on a few days. 15-24, with the peak at the 18-21.

4x's description on how to decoy is classic for most instances, and in particular of the buck is with does. But never count out the unexpected. I have had lone bucks come straight into the decoy from well over a mile away. I have taken naps with the decoy up and had Pronghorns come in.

I suggest you get a Pronghorn call. This will increase your odds in getting their attention and bringing them in REAL close.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 07-29-2015, 11:50 AM

I'm was awarded archery antelope here too.fisrt time here with the bow,been twice with to he gun before.cant wait!be a solo trip for me
Old 07-29-2015, 12:18 PM

Default Solo trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman160 View Post
I'm was awarded archery antelope here too.fisrt time here with the bow,been twice with to he gun before.cant wait!be a solo trip for me
It's going to be tough solo. I tried it once and with the wind, the decoy kept blowing over. I could probably go with you and be your decoy man if your interested. I love bow hunting antelope. Send me a PM if interested. I got lots of experience and a decoy.
Old 07-29-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman160 View Post
? Im needing some education here gang...

Draw Booklet states

August 10 - Antelope and Goat results available online at albertarelm.com.
Landowner Special Licence applications begin.

Like previous years Antelope Draws are not until August...

and being a pri 10 I wouldnt know how it works anymore I forget..and that pri is growing by years every year to draw...

Question is how do folks know they have this draw???

Neil
Old 07-29-2015, 12:57 PM

the draws are up for antelope and goat, they got posted early
Old 07-29-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
what days do you think they decoy best.
Tuesdays
Old 07-29-2015, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSS View Post
the draws are up for antelope and goat, they got posted early
Really...wow right over my head...so ya another two to whine about not getting...lol
Old 07-29-2015, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Tuesdays
It was just a matter of time,I knew someone was going to pull this.But you Oko,Comeon.LOL
Old 07-29-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseelk View Post
It was just a matter of time,I knew someone was going to pull this.But you Oko,Comeon.LOL
Old 07-29-2015, 03:10 PM

If going solo, bring an additional rod to stick in the ground with a foam bumper on top to keep the decoy from spinning in the wind. I used threaded rod sharpened to a point (fit in quiver). Good to have something to step on on rod since the ground can be like cement on dry prairie. Get ready before popping up decoy, sometimes things happen really fast.
Old 07-30-2015, 09:48 AM

Default Advice on decoying speed goats

I have taken 7 over a decoy. I would be glad to share some tips with you. I helped a young archer get his first last year. PM me if you like.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:00 AM

Dekeing for goats is probably the "funnest" hunt in Alberta!
Old 07-30-2015, 11:05 AM

Default Decoying

I don't mean to derail this thread but a quick question if anyone can answer. I was drawn for trophy antelope - Rifle (I know Boo! lol) Any benefit to using a decoy during rifle season Oct 19-24?
Old 07-30-2015, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhunter8 View Post
I don't mean to derail this thread but a quick question if anyone can answer. I was drawn for trophy antelope - Rifle (I know Boo! lol) Any benefit to using a decoy during rifle season Oct 19-24?
depending on how good of a shot you are but from my own experience it wasn't needed
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 07-30-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:

Are you faster than a bullet?

Being near a decoy during the Pronghorn general weapon season is not a good idea. I think the danger factor outweighs any possible benefit to using one.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 07-30-2015, 02:08 PM

for some reason I thought it was illegal to decoy antelope during the rifle season, but I can't find anything in the regs on my quick search, safety matter i thought??????Cow decoy maybe?
Old 07-30-2015, 02:18 PM

Default Antelope

Made my own decoy out of 1/4 inch plywood Painted it to look like an antelope. Held it up with a piece of dowel One piece so a little cumbersome but got my trophy antelope first time out. Was 20 years ago but still the funniest hunt I have ever had Oh and watch out for rattlesnakes. Good luck!
Old 07-30-2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post

I suggest you get a Pronghorn call. This will increase your odds in getting their attention and bringing them in REAL close.
So I assume a guy would use a Pronghorn "Buck" call similar to grunting whitetails or is a doe bleat better?
Old 07-31-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Are you faster than a bullet?

Being near a decoy during the Pronghorn general weapon season is not a good idea. I think the danger factor outweighs any possible benefit to using one.
Good point! I wouldn't be hiding behind it in rifle season. lol I was just curious if an antelope would still be curious and come closer during that time of year.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Good point! I wouldn't be hiding behind it in rifle season. lol I was just curious if an antelope would still be curious and come closer during that time of year.
Why not?

Sure, Pronghorns are curious cats.... their main defence is their eyesight and the need to identify any movement that they see. This is why the technique of flagging will bring Pronghorns in closer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -CLM- View Post
So I assume a guy would use a Pronghorn "Buck" call similar to grunting whitetails or is a doe bleat better?
If you can get a hold of them, watch the old Gordon Eastman antelope videos on Pronghorns. I use both a doe and a buck call, when depends on the situation. My homemade decoy is a cross-dresser, horn up or horn down....

I'll have to dig out the calls to see just what they both are, one is the ELK Inc. antelope call, the other is a wood tube style call that produces an excellent range of sounds.

Just think of Pronghorns as little Elk. Their mating habits and rituals are nearly identical. Herd buck/bull and their harems with satellites. Pulling a buck/bull off the girls by offering a fight is tough, but if he thinks you are another girl....

When hunting alone, the big challenge in using decoys is dealing with the wind and the hard ground. Getting that decoy secured into the ground can be like hammering a nail into cement. And then a single spike will spin in the wind. If you don't set the decoy securely, you will have a comedy of errors. I have been adapting a rotating two pronged spike system for my decoy that allows for controlling the rotation of the decoy while giving a secure footing. A kick plate on the prongs allows me to stomp the spikes into the ground. Practice with your decoy, both simply setting it up quickly, and practice shooting from behind it. I prefer to shoot from out the side as opposed to over the top. The animals is less likely to be spooked by your sudden appearance this way.

Last edited by walking buffalo; 07-31-2015 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-31-2015, 11:13 AM

Thanks for the replies, even yours oka. Looks like we will be heading out on the 13th for a week. Good luck to every one this fall.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
I prefer to shoot from out the side as opposed to over the top. The animals is less likely to be spooked by your sudden appearance this way.
All good advice Walking Buffalo. This point has another benefit as well. By shooting from the side you eliminate the clearance issue that occurs when shooting over top. I shot from over top one time and thought I was high enough as I had a clear view through my site but skipped the arrow off my decoy's back LOL.