Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-24-2015, 10:51 AM

Default just a little info on bow hunting please

hi. iv just moved from southern ab to a small town out side of edmontion ( legal ) I used to have a place that had around 6 acres I lived on and only hunted rabbits and other small tasty things, I had a bow hunting permit and all that how ever now im renting and the cost of food along with bills etc, ( costs I didn't have before on my own land ) are insane so I have decided I need to hunt larger game to last all winter, im not sure what I need to do, I have my bow permit and wild life permit, I loged on to see what tags a guy can get all I saw was bear, so I got that, how ever I want moose or deer. as a bow hunter do I need to enter a draw ? or just a tag for moose or deer and head out. as me and the wife drive around we have seen close to twenty moose in the last 9 days we have lived up here now, any info on what I need to do would be great,
oh yes while I can hunt and eat the bear my wife cant due to a cultural thing.
also is there a subsataince hunting program in alberta ?
once again any info be great, easy to understand info in simple terms . the regs book confused the hell out me,
also am I allowed to take my musket as a back up during archery hunting for a just in case some thing goes very wrong.
thank you for reading
Old 07-24-2015, 11:02 AM

you need to read and understand the rules and regulations before you start hunting would be best
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 07-27-2015, 01:11 PM

Yup ...New Regs are online... http://www.albertaregulations.ca/huntingregs/

If your in the Edmonton bow zone...WMU 248 which is a fair size...
http://www.albertaregulations.ca/hun...s/wmu/248.html
moose, WT, mule deer and even Elk are open to general Bowhunters...its a bowzone...

Go to parkland WMU's

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/hun...mu/wmu200.html

you will see under SEASONS there is ARCHERY or GENERAL..anything with little black box beside open dates is draw...

Read from cover to cover ...

Neil
Old 07-27-2015, 01:23 PM

Just to be absolutely clear, are you talking about using a bow, or a crossbow? You don't really say, and with your name being Mr. Crossbow.... anyway, read the regs as others have mentioned, and come back and ask more questions if any part of them isn't clear. Good luck!
Old 07-27-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Just to be absolutely clear, are you talking about using a bow, or a crossbow? You don't really say, and with your name being Mr. Crossbow.... anyway, read the regs as others have mentioned, and come back and ask more questions if any part of them isn't clear. Good luck!
Wow missed that...lol X2 crossbow not allowed in most bow zones or seasons..they are in all riflezones thou...

Neil
Old 07-27-2015, 02:46 PM

A little more than a little info is required. Not even sure where to start.

LC
Old 07-27-2015, 03:23 PM

Assuming you're hunting with a bow (not a crossbow), your safest bet considering you can easily drive to WMU's that require a moose tag, just buy whitetail tags and this should cover any risk of poaching. The moose draw has already passed for this season, and if you need meat for the winter...it'll be simpler to get a couple of does and fill your freezer. You'll likely get more permissions too.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:29 PM

Going from rabbits to moose is a BIG step up the ladder. They are a whole different ball game due to size. You might want to work your way up to that as a full size moose is overwhelming to deal with on your own.

The regs are a lot to understand. It takes a few times through it to basically understand it. get a couple of copies and study it on an ongoing basis.

Good luck and hunt safe.