Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-21-2015, 01:19 PM

Default CWD Surveilance

Wow thats a big chunk of Alberta that is Mandatory head submission and registration now!!!

Neil
Old 07-21-2015, 01:39 PM

How is this program mandatory ? Absolutely no checks or balances to prove submission of heads for testing.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:25 PM

All in new 2015 Hunting regulations...

Interesting since they moved manatory testing WEST cases doubled last year

Old 07-21-2015, 03:04 PM

Here's a link for cases by WMU.

http://www.afga.org/pdf/Hunting/CWD-2014-summary.pdf

Not sure I would assume that the number has doubled because of the increase WMU testing.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:47 PM
Banned

Does anyone know if CWD is more predominant in one sex other the other?
Old 07-21-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
Here's a link for cases by WMU.

Not sure I would assume that the number has doubled because of the increase WMU testing.
Not what I was saying...lol Said interesting it doubled because of adding new WMU's west to the testing...meaning its all over the province ...

Neil
Old 07-21-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkivory View Post
Does anyone know if CWD is more predominant in one sex other the other?

The post by dmcbride
gives sexes and species, etc

Neil
Old 07-21-2015, 03:58 PM
Banned

Thanks, very interesting!

"We have completed all of the 2014 fall CWD surveillance samples received to date. In 2014 we tested 4,163 heads and detected 86 cases of CWD (2.1%). CWD was confirmed in 74 mule deer (59 males, 15 females; 72 adults, 2 yearlings) and 12 white-tails (all males; 10 adults, 2 yearlings)."
Old 07-21-2015, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
Not what I was saying...lol

Said interesting it doubled because of adding new WMU's west to the testing...meaning its all over the province ...

Neil
Still not an accurate comment.

CWD rates in some of the extreme eastern wmus is skyrocketing. This is where the additional numbers are adding up.

For example, in wmu 236, the cwd prevalence in "mature" mule deer is now 27.3%. 1 in 4 bucks tested would be dead from cwd within a year....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 07-21-2015, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post

CWD rates in some of the extreme eastern wmus is skyrocketing. This is where the additional numbers are adding up.

For example, in wmu 236, the cwd prevalence in "mature" mule deer is now 27.3%. 1 in 4 bucks tested would be dead from cwd within a year....
More mysterious math WB? 6 animals out of how many harvested? 252 antlerless tags given out on draw, 89 antlered tags on draw& remember there is still an general either sex archery tag for this zone..
ESRD sure does come up with the phantom numbers!! Or is that just you. I have not been able to see how many heads per wmu were tested. Just a total province wide , kind of like the areial counts here its a secret I guess.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:47 PM

The province wide total of tested heads: 74 mule deer (59 males, 15 females; 72 adults, 2 yearlings) and 12 white-tails (all males; 10 adults, 2 yearlings).
From Margis report!

Now from hunter harvest report.
236- 57 male- 109 female - 2 young ,

According to your math 15.39 animals ( male) tested positive.
If your going to put forward "facts" at least do it with some integrity, the situation is bad enough with out needing to dramatize it more then it is.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:11 PM

Quote:

For example, in wmu 236, the cwd prevalence in "mature" mule deer is now 27.3%.1 in 4 bucks tested would be dead from cwd within a year....
Interesting.
Can they now prove when the deer contracted the disease? Or how long they've had it?
Old 07-22-2015, 08:11 AM

Not sure where some of this info is coming from...Im thinking if 1 in 4 bucks were dying there would be another panic

Neil
Old 07-22-2015, 12:18 PM
Banned

Default submissions

This might be a stupid questions but whatever...So if you get a decent buck in the early archery season that you would like to get mounted, you are just supposed to throw the head in their freezer and think the velvet will look good at all after? Or, are you supposed to skin in out and remove skull plate and antlers by sawing it out then turn it it? Is exposing the Average Joe hunter to increased exposure by ripping through possibly infected brain matter with a reciprocating saw a good idea? Maybe the answer to this has been identified, if so I missed it and I apologize. Also, are you supposed to wait for the results before processing or consuming the animal? Thanks in advance, cheers.

Last edited by SBE2; 07-22-2015 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBE2 View Post
This might be a stupid questions but whatever...So if you get a decent buck in the early archery season that you would like to get mounted, you are just supposed to throw the head in their freezer and think the velvet will look good at all after? Or, are you supposed to skin in out and remove skull plate and antlers by sawing it out then turn it it? Is exposing the Average Joe hunter to increased exposure by ripping through possibly infected brain matter with a reciprocating saw a good idea? Maybe the answer to this has been identified, if so I missed it and I apologize. Also, are you supposed to wait for the results before processing or consuming the animal? Thanks in advance, cheers.
Proceedure is use saw with caution and gloves... small skull plate remove antlers and send in rest of skull ...sample they want is on brain stem...

Neil
Old 07-22-2015, 02:55 PM
Banned

Default another question

Quote:
Proceedure is use saw with caution and gloves... small skull plate remove antlers and send in rest of skull ...sample they want is on brain stem...

Neil
Ok, what if you want the cape for the mount and don't have the skinning of a taxidermist and would prefer a cape in the best condition possible? I have never done it the way you are speaking about and would hate to make a nice animal and potential mount look bad. Or cause the taxidermist more work and myself more money. Thanks for any info, cheers.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBE2 View Post
Ok, what if you want the cape for the mount and don't have the skinning of a taxidermist and would prefer a cape in the best condition possible? I have never done it the way you are speaking about and would hate to make a nice animal and potential mount look bad. Or cause the taxidermist more work and myself more money. Thanks for any info, cheers.
:F Of course you would have to rough cape head out first...or take it to a taxidermist to do that...rough cape is Y cut behind antlers...remove entire ear ...fingers in eye socket and complete eyelids etc...nose and entire lips...leave as much as possible if not sure...right to skull....then taxidermist will split eyelids , ears lips etc at a later date...

remove skull cut plate and remove...

Neil

Last edited by L.O.S.T.Arrow; 07-22-2015 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
Interesting.
Can they now prove when the deer contracted the disease? Or how long they've had it?

Sorry, I missed a word in the above post. I meant to say "Mature" Antlered Mule deer.

in wmu 236, the cwd prevalence in "mature" Antlered mule deer is now 27.3%.

No, I don't think so. Research suggests that the average lifespan of a deer after developing CWD is 18 months.

Quote:
Not sure where some of this info is coming from...Im thinking if 1 in 4 bucks were dying there would be another panic

Neil
The info is direct from a senior biologist with F&W. I am patiently waiting for the documents to arrive....

Take note, the 27.3% CWD infection rate is for "Mature" Antlered Mule deer.
I have asked and I am awaiting an answer as to how a "Mature" deer is defined.

Yes, this IS a big concern.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 07-23-2015, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Sorry, I missed a word in the above post. I meant to say "Mature" Antlered Mule deer.

in wmu 236, the cwd prevalence in "mature" Antlered mule deer is now 27.3%.

No, I don't think so. Research suggests that the average lifespan of a deer after developing CWD is 18 months.

The info is direct from a senior biologist with F&W. I am patiently waiting for the documents to arrive....

Take note, the 27.3% CWD infection rate is for "Mature" Antlered Mule deer.
I have asked and I am awaiting an answer as to how a "Mature" deer is defined.

Yes, this IS a big concern.

Are you saying they are using different numbers then available to the public?
When I first seen your post I figured you were intentionally trying to rile myself and or Nikon up. It worked ! Lol .
I still do not see numbers anywhere near 27% that are available to us the public . 56/7 . If all 7 in the zone that tested positive were mature male muledeer.
Dr . Mcallister said he will be responding to an e-mail I sent him ( a month ago) but was quite busy and will get to it . I'd like to here this from the horses mouth for sure.
One thing is for certain the approach taken so far has not worked, in fact like many said we are likley seeing more positives now as more deer move into less populated areas from Sask.
I am not sure what the right answer is but I am afraid of what ESRD answer will be.