Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-06-2013, 02:38 PM

Default bad start to the season

snuck out to do a little bow hunting today, been busy the last 2 months and haven't been able to get out, dropped the kid off at day care and realized I forgot my broadheads , drove like a mad man to get back home and retrieve my broadheads. then got stuck behind a shmorgas board of sunday drivers on the way out to my spot. when I arrived there just as I was getting ready to hike to my honey hole a passerby stopped to ask me about the discharge permit you need to hunt in the area I was at. "what discharge permit do you mean?" "the one the sign down the road says". turns out alberta parks decided to only put out one sign on the south boundary and ive been coming in from the north everytime ive done my scouting. so that spot is out of the question I head to another spot I have near by. I get there and hike to my stand position. I didn't have a chance to do any prep so I spend 45 minutes cutting branches so I can get up the tree with my climber, its now 10:00 and im finally set up, give a quick scan of the pinch point im sitting on and there is maybe 3 sets of tracks going through there. not a good sign by whatever. sit there for an hour and a half rattling away to no avail then climb down to go pick my kid up from daycare. on the way back to my truck my treestand which is strapped to my dayack opens up the zipper and somewhere along the way the bag containing my tags and wildlife certificate fall out, awesome. I get back to my truck and as im taking off my leafy suit I loose my balance and ripppp. big rip in the leg, great now those are written off. I get back to Edmonton around 1 and pick up my kid.

on the bright side theres still almost a month left to the season and I could have been working today
Old 11-06-2013, 03:47 PM

Well you didn't get hurt, didn't hurt anyone, didn't break any laws(except maybe speeding) and things can only get better , Right????
Cheer up you coulda discovered your tags n stuff gone much later and not known where they got lost..

Lotsa season left Good luck my friend.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:51 PM

ya im hoping things can only get better from here,
Old 11-06-2013, 04:44 PM

With all that bad stuff, the only direction to go is up! Keep smiling. It will get better.

At least you didn't shoot a deer and then realize you lost your tags. Always throw a positive spin in there!
Old 11-06-2013, 07:25 PM

all you have to remember is at least you didn't sit on a bear trap
Old 11-07-2013, 04:52 AM

hopefully all the bad karma is gone and you will get some payback - maybe a nice buck standing 20 yards away broadside daring you to do something about it?
Old 11-07-2013, 01:30 PM

Bad day hunting is still better than a good day at work!
Old 11-08-2013, 09:29 AM

Maybe the deer of your dreams is just making you work a little harder so when you drop him you can just laugh at the start of your season........Good Luck !!!!!!!!
Old 11-08-2013, 02:30 PM

Maybe a day with the kid will be better than going out???
Old 11-08-2013, 02:34 PM

took the kid out today and it was better, didn't get anything but saw a moose and a coyote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:45 AM

You just never know, I went thru the hunt from hell last year and killed the buck of a lifetime on the last day, so stick it out.