Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 10-16-2013, 06:42 AM

Default Do all reels do this?

So having been out a few times now, I've come to notice a flaw with my reel. I have a beginners rod and reel combo, 4/5 weight tfo nxt series. It still has the stock 5 weight line and backing it came with.

I've noticed that when i get a fish on the real, that sometimes the line bunches up on one side and essentially fills the one side of the spool to the point that the reel will no longer turn due to the diameter of the line on the spool.

Is this a case of having too much line or backing on? Is there something I can do to prevent this? I would hate to get a big trout on a run and not be able to reel it in due to this. And if its little i just usually strip it in.

Would a larger arbour reel make any difference?

Thanks.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:56 AM

You might have too much backing.. But its probably just bunching, use your pinky as a line guide to put in on the reel more evenly. That'll solve everything.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderingwest View Post

Would a larger arbour reel make any difference?

Thanks.
no it would not. what WOULD make a difference is the width of the spool (narrow spools will bunch less). Wider spools are prone to bunching like that and you'll always need to use your fingers to act as a levelwind.
In all my recent reels I've gone to narrower ones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Megoff.jpg (61.3 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 377198498_640.jpg (34.5 KB, 75 views)

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 10-16-2013, 09:13 AM

Try pulling out a bunch of line before you hit the water. Make sure your reel is vertical and not tilted to one side or the other. Reel in the line without touching it with your rod hand/non-reel hand, (like you would a spinning reel) I bet it lays flat.

If it lays flat doing this, chances are you're doing as the others suggested and somehow manipulating the line with one of the fingers of your rod hand. If you're not just stripping a small fish in, let your reels drag do the work and let go of the line pinched to the rod grip in your rod hand.

I've also had this happen if I have the reel tilted far to the side while reeling in a large amount of line, especially when pulling against the current.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:49 PM

The line will bunch to the low side of the spool if you tilt the reel while winding, especially if under some pressure as when playing a fish. I level wind the line by consciously tilting the reel to one side then the other, etc., while playing a fish but using a pinky works well too. Try both ways.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
no it would not. what WOULD make a difference is the width of the spool (narrow spools will bunch less). Wider spools are prone to bunching like that and you'll always need to use your fingers to act as a levelwind.
In all my recent reels I've gone to narrower ones.
Hey...I recognize the photo of that reel with the green line~I took it!

To the question~you may very well have too much backing on there, but how you reel the line on makes a difference too. Large arbor or not, spool width is a bigger issue. Narrower spools are less likely to do this than wider ones. I had a Loop Speedrunner reel that NEVER did this, yet some wide reels that you had to be careful winding every time. A WF line has it's thickest end come in last too, so the problem might seem worse if it's off even a little.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:44 AM

Thanks for all the replies, i will check where my hands sit and if the reel is centered.

On a side note, ive seen a few reels now that will hold a 3,4 and 5 weight line. I was thinking to buy one of these reels over the winter so i can have a few spools, one with 3w, one with 5w, and to pick up a 3w rod too. Does anyone use one reel with multiple rods and weight lines? Im not buying a new reel for the line bunching, im actually not a fan of the drag setup on my reel, its either on or off it seems.

I really like the small streams so far, but huffing a 8'6" rod through the trees can be interesting at times, so I'd like a smaller 3 weight rod in the 7' range. Just figured instead of buying two mediocre reels in 5w and 3w, maybe have one better reel with multiple spools.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogger View Post
Hey...I recognize the photo of that reel with the green line~I took it!
haha I stole it off google images thanks for posting it somewhere.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 10-17-2013, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderingwest View Post
Thanks for all the replies, i will check where my hands sit and if the reel is centered.

On a side note, ive seen a few reels now that will hold a 3,4 and 5 weight line. I was thinking to buy one of these reels over the winter so i can have a few spools, one with 3w, one with 5w, and to pick up a 3w rod too. Does anyone use one reel with multiple rods and weight lines? Im not buying a new reel for the line bunching, im actually not a fan of the drag setup on my reel, its either on or off it seems.

I really like the small streams so far, but huffing a 8'6" rod through the trees can be interesting at times, so I'd like a smaller 3 weight rod in the 7' range. Just figured instead of buying two mediocre reels in 5w and 3w, maybe have one better reel with multiple spools.
The number one thing you should look for in a reel is how it balances the set up. The chances of finding one that balances a 7 ft 3wt and a 8.5 ft 5wt are none.

I love nice reels but on a stream rod they are really only there to hold the line so one doesn't need to spend a fortune.

The little Hardy CC Ultralite is an awesome reel at about $180. Orvis has a reel at or about 100 and Redington has a nice little one for a stream rod that is even cheaper.