Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 10-13-2013, 11:40 AM

Default smallest weight fly rod you've used?

I personally fish a 2wt a lot of the time (dries on small creeks) ,it's nothing fancy, just a series 1 TFO.

The other day at bass pro I wiggled around a half-weight. It might be my christmas present to myself!

Just wondering what the smallest weight fly rod everyone's used is? Personally I find that my 2wt is awesome for the 8-12" trout I find on the local creeks.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 10-13-2013, 11:47 AM

I think Orvis had (or have?) a 00wt. fly rod if memory serves. For several years, I fished 2 and 3 wt. fly rods all season long. Since I'm only an hour from Canada's biggest city, I found pressure on these streams increasing and as a result, a fresh approach was req. for pressured fish. Namely, streamers. I don't fish now as much as I'd like, but when I do, it has to be a 4wt. or 5wt. fly rod to launch bigger streamers~even on very small creeks. The down side is that an 8" trout doesn't feel like much on an 8' 5wt. The UP side is that you'll find some impressive trout fishing streamers~even in creeks narrow enough to jump across.

My 2wts. are gone, one of my 3wts. is for sale.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:13 PM

Ive got a gem of a rod in 6' 3wt that i dearly love. Great for small streams but proficient enough for bigger water also.
It has taken hundreds of 3-18 inch cutties , but also a 7 lb bully and the occaisional rainbow over 20'
Old 10-13-2013, 01:37 PM

I fish a 2wt Sage TXL they make rods in weights down to 000. I fish it on the bow sometimes, I just fish heavy tippets.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:12 PM

I have a 8"2" 2wt Thomas and Thomas paradigm that casts beautifully. It is also a little different as it has a down locking reel seat. Don't need a fighting butt on a 2wt. I use it with a very light teton reel and a double taper line that looks and feels like it is sailing in the air when you cast. With the right length/weight of leader it is easier to cast in the wind than you might think. This rod was ordered through our old friend Gord at Westwinds. Have a 7'6"3wt horizon T&T from him too.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:50 PM

Guys,

Some years ago I got chasing 2 wts. after looking over an old Leonard. Took me five rods till I finally worked up a taper that pleased me. It is a 6'0" rod c/w skeleton seat. Like others, it was made for cuts in smaller streams. Works quite well. The other four rods ended up all over the US.

Regards,

Don
Old 10-14-2013, 09:55 AM

I use a 14 ft Tenkara rod almost like a 00 rod but more flexible pretnear twice as long.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:48 AM

i have a little orvis one weight i love for small creeks
but finding line is a pain..
Old 10-16-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
i have a little orvis one weight i love for small creeks
but finding line is a pain..
oooh good point.... probably have to order it....

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 10-17-2013, 05:45 AM

Default 2wt

I use a 6'6" 2wt for grayling in the small creeks . I tell ya anything over 10" puts up a good fight and over 14" feels like your hooked into a salmon lol
Old 10-17-2013, 08:37 AM

Sage SLT 0wt is a lot of fun and probably the best all around light weight rod I own. It's 8ft long so it casts the farthest and is the best for mending line. It handles everything up to foam hoppers and micro clousers very well and makes every fish feel like a monster. I also built a little Dan Craft 1wt several years ago which makes a very nice lightweight rod but its just under 7ft long so it doesn't mend as well as the longer rod.