Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 10-12-2013, 10:43 PM
Banned

Default Walleye

Finally caught my first walleye on the fly @ 6:30 tonight in Lethbridge on the OMR, ran into a friend of a friend from Cardston @ the parking and, he inquired what was I fishing for (i was set up for lake whites) I laughingly said I was going for walleye but probably only get a goldeye. It was a short trip, after I had run my errand for the warden(yes she let me out on day parole), was only fishing for less than an hour and after several bites finally landed one, nice one too! I learned the hard way but, I taught myself how to do it, designed my own fly, tied my own fly, caught it on a 6wt bank robber with 6wt floating rio on it lol! There was alot of trial and error involved in this fish, this was my biggest challenge so far on a fly rod, and yes I am damn happy. Last years goal was lake whites and lake trout on a fly in Southern Alberta, piece of cake. This year was Mr. Walleye and perch, perch was easy but his relative was not so much so. But today I fooled him and, I fooled him good. Another game fish off of the list, tight lines!
Old 10-13-2013, 02:04 AM

Right on man congrats i never tried in the river but this year i was also trying for perch and found i was fooling the larger perch with a backswimmer and then found that the walleye also liked my backswimmer ended up catchin a crapload of walleye and perch on the same hook all weekend and it actualy out did the leaches and the minnows who woulda thought i cant wait till next spring them walleye are a blast on the fly
Old 10-13-2013, 02:58 AM

Nice! I have got some nice ones on the RDR when targeting Browns, at first i was disapointed it wasnt a big Brown on the end, but is pretty cool to get them on the fly!
Old 10-13-2013, 08:12 AM

Nice job WB! they're certainly fun, and a little offbeat.

here's a couple of my predator flies that might do the trick on some walleye, they're fairly easy to tie:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 972501_180279882130692_132094219_n.jpg (54.9 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 20130520_143356 copy.jpg (74.8 KB, 33 views)

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 10-13-2013, 09:09 PM
Banned

[img]373[/img]
Old 10-15-2013, 07:35 AM

Congrats on your first walleye on the fly! Mine was at Pine Coulee.
I also caught one on the NSR around Fort Sask using a maribou clouser. Full sink line and a slow retrieve. They seem to be kinda lazy and don't hit when I retrieve faster like for pike.