Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-26-2008, 07:40 AM

Default Buying A Bow

OK, I want to convert to bow hunting, Lets hear some opinions on what kind of bow I should buy.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:44 AM

Bowtec
Old 05-26-2008, 08:16 AM

Default Buying a Bow

Go to a good proshop and shoot a variety of bows. Everyone has their only particular likes and dislikes. You would be hard pressed to suggest that one bow is absolutely better than another. All the bows build today are for the most part very good. Mathews, Bowtech, PSE, Hoyt, Browning, Martin, High Country, Bear and the list could go on and on. They are all good.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:48 AM

Great Advice WCT Bowtech...

Mods... could you please cut ot WCTBOwtech's post and make it a sticky for bow buying advice.....

We see a post like this evry week.... thenthere is not the opportunity for name brand plugging and Bashing...
Old 05-26-2008, 09:38 AM

Thanks Guys, Im lookin forward to making my first harvest with a bow.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:50 PM

The guys above are 100% correct in my opinion. A good pro shop is very important. One that has shooting lanes. They can help you out with all your problems/needs. One place really varies from another in amount of knowledge and willingness to help. The pro-shop closest to my place will sell an unsuspecting person whatever he has that isn't moving, and will keep the stuff that sells for folks who know exactly what they want. A few new and returning archers in the area now drive considibly further for honest service and advice.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
Great Advice WCT Bowtech...

Mods... could you please cut ot WCTBOwtech's post and make it a sticky for bow buying advice.....

We see a post like this evry week.... thenthere is not the opportunity for name brand plugging and Bashing...
Your sarcasim amuses me.But not that much.lol
Old 06-02-2008, 04:37 PM

Nekred I agree that the info supplied was good however I believe that people are looking for a review in some sense.

I think there is always room for bad, good and recommendations to help someone make a decision.

I do also agree that this question gets asked a lot.

I recommend jumping on a website like cabelas and bass pro just to read the reviews.
Old 06-02-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
I recommend jumping on a website like cabelas and bass pro just to read the reviews.
Yeah fanboys never pollute those sites either! The 1st piece of advise was the best, shoot as many different bows as possible and then decide. Pay close attention to how the bow feels in your hands when shooting. Don't worry so much about the brand. One of the worst bows I ever owned was gushed over by fanboys, it shot like crap, the grip was harsh in my hand and it's only forgiving quality was that it didn't leap like a rocket out of my hand. The best bow I've ever shot, curiously had nasty hand shock BUT that didn't matter, what mattered was the end result.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:14 PM

I kinda disagree with the ''shoot lots of bows '' theory.
I've said before that , personally , the more you read and shoot the tougher the decision gets.
Paralysis by analysis will kick in.
For my 1st bow I did some reading , got a feeling for what I'd like , went to a shop that had them , shot it , rigged it , and was off to the races.

Further to the shoot lots idea , unless you can line up all the bows and shoot them together you really won't be able to compare accurately. Especially if your new to the game.
It can get confusing and frustrating if you over-analysis.

As said many times...... for the most part all bows are going to serve you well.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:44 PM

Go to some Archery Pro Shops that have archery lanes open to club members and the general public for target practice and shooting events.
Talk to the shooters and ask them about their bows. Look around to see which is the most popular bow there and then go talk to the Shop owner. This is the guy who can tell you which brands are the most popular for the type of shooting your wanting to do. They have bows set up for you to try and will measure you up for the right draw length. Then after you've shot a few brands pick the one that you liked the best. You'll have a pile of fun shopping and shooting your first bow. Compound bows have come a long way in the last few years and are a joy to shoot.
Google archery forums on the net and you'll find loads of advice and product reviews.

Last edited by Percher; 06-08-2008 at 07:55 PM.