Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-24-2008, 09:23 AM

Default how many shots?

Ive heard 200, 500,50 Shots and so on to break in my new string. I have been marking the cam so i can tell when it stops moving. How do you guys know when you can time cams and paper tune ect.How many shots?Or just keep marking my cams till they stop moving?(To tell the string has stopped stretching).I have a Winners Choice bowstring I think on my new pse dream season Set at 70#. Thanks Jay
Old 05-25-2008, 08:06 AM
Gone Hunting

Jeez, thats a good question jaybull... I honestly wouldnt know for sure. Wouldnt mind knowing as well, though i personally havent had any issues with it in the past. Ive always done my tuning right away, and got right to sighting in and shooting.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 05-25-2008, 09:43 AM

With factory strings, stretching and twisting usually tapers off at around 200 shots. There are some high end strings that claim to have zero stretch. A string that is stretching is quite noticable when you have a peep installed. Within those 200 to 300 shots, that peep may rotate a full 360 deg in the string up to as many as 5 or 6 times which may result in some fine tuning after the string has settled in.
The stretching is basically MODULUS OF ELASTICITY, which when calculated using direct stress over direct strain which is also equal to pressure / area over delta L / original length. This stretching process is non-recoverable, which means that the delta L (change in length) becomes permanent.
On another note, elevated temperatures greater than approx 38 deg C will cause a larger delta L (more sting stretch). Which means it's not a good idea to store your bow in a closed up vehicle in the sun for extended periods of time.

Aim Small Miss Small
Old 05-29-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybull View Post
Ive heard 200, 500,50 Shots and so on to break in my new string. I have been marking the cam so i can tell when it stops moving. How do you guys know when you can time cams and paper tune ect.How many shots?Or just keep marking my cams till they stop moving?(To tell the string has stopped stretching).I have a Winners Choice bowstring I think on my new pse dream season Set at 70#. Thanks Jay

It really depends on the method of construction and material being used. 200 shots is a pretty good guideline though, after that you shouldn't see any movement. Lots of strings are settled after 75-100 shots BUT I like shooting not tuning so I don't get too hasty about setting up new strings.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:13 PM

Premium string makers pre-stretch their strings and serve them under pressure so that they have very little stretch. In my experience strings made with this method stretch very little. My peope will rotate at max a 1/4 turn and settle after about 30 shots.

The string stetch is usually the string since it is a continuous loop is each loop finding its own place over time. when they are pre-stretched they find their place and the serving then helps keep them in place.

i can never stress enough.... use premium strings!....from a premium string builder!
Old 05-29-2008, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
use premium strings!....from a premium string builder!
Gee thanks Al - mind you I' very selective with my clientèle; me, myself & I
Old 05-29-2008, 04:18 PM

You need a pro staff!...
Old 05-29-2008, 06:53 PM

Default pse also

Hey jaybull. I shoot the pse x-force super short. I shot about 30 arrows threw it and paper tuned it and since then have put threw it about another 600 and it is still tuned. If I were you just paper tune it and keep shooting and then in about a a week or two shoot it again threw the paper tuner and see. But I haven't had to adjust anything.