Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-17-2012, 08:04 AM

Default Best Western Canada fly fishing

Hey guys, if you could fly anywhere in western Canada to fly fish for trout where would you go?
Biggest trout action i mean?
Thanks in advance for your input!
Cheers
Old 08-17-2012, 08:17 AM
Banned

NW coast of BC watersheds. Lots of rivers to choose from and big fish.

Either that, or the Thompson River. There's something about 5lb resident rainbows gobbling mayflies in 40C heat with a desert back drop.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:37 AM
Banned

Cool

not telling the best, the babine is pretty decent on a good day lol.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:02 AM

Smile The Bow

As hard to believe as it may sound, right here in Calgary is some of the world's best trout fishing and they readily take flies. My best day was 33 trout from hwy 22 to Caresland.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
As hard to believe as it may sound, right here in Calgary is some of the world's best trout fishing and they readily take flies. My best day was 33 trout from hwy 22 to Caresland.
what were you chances at fish over 10 lbs. I think the bow as a river has world class numbers. BC waters have size the bow can't compete with, imo.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:10 AM

Elk River and its tributaries. Arguably the best unspoiled Westslope Cutthroat fishing in Canada. Can't forget the monster Bullies either!
Old 08-17-2012, 09:17 AM

Amazing info folks! I work for a company that allows me to travel anywhere and I was thinking of doing a road trip for an unforgettable experience!
Keep it coming!
And as far as the bow goes, yes it is a great river but there are many lakes in rivers in Western Canada that hold larger trout! :0
Cheers!
Old 08-17-2012, 09:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
Where else in the world have you fished for trout?
Old 08-17-2012, 11:02 AM

There is one Place for me it should be on all anglers Bucket list and that is

Great Bear Lake

Reason is its size and speices of fish

Lake Trout to 74# plus
Arctic Grayling to 5# plus
Northern Pike to 30# plus
Burbot to 20# plus
Lake Whitefish to 14# plus

Side Trips to fish
Arctic Char to 32# plus
Innconu to 55# plus

Food for Thought
David

Last edited by Speckle55; 08-17-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:48 PM

Default right here

Southern Alberta has some of the best fishing for trout in the world. Cutties in the castle and oldman system are every bit as big as the ones in the elk and you don't have to pay for a classified water tag. As far as west coast BC rivers having bigger trout than the bow on average, not a chance! Unless you are talking steelhead. And I speak as a well fished BC boy transplanted to Alberta.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:19 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyrod1970 View Post
Southern Alberta has some of the best fishing for trout in the world. Cutties in the castle and oldman system are every bit as big as the ones in the elk and you don't have to pay for a classified water tag. As far as west coast BC rivers having bigger trout than the bow on average, not a chance! Unless you are talking steelhead. And I speak as a well fished BC boy transplanted to Alberta.
I am also a BC transplant, I am not abought to give away the water sheds. I can confirm some rivers in the interior and north put the bow and for that matter most "world class waters " to shame when size is the factor used to judge.I dare say the bow has 10lb fish just not with the regularity a few BC waters can provide. even alberta has a few spots that will give the bow a run for its money on a size basis. the red deer below spruce view,the raven's just for starters.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
I am also a BC transplant, I am not abought to give away the water sheds. I can confirm some rivers in the interior and north put the bow and for that matter most "world class waters " to shame when size is the factor used to judge.I dare say the bow has 10lb fish just not with the regularity a few BC waters can provide. even alberta has a few spots that will give the bow a run for its money on a size basis. the red deer below spruce view,the raven's just for starters.
Not a single person has been able to post a pic of a bow or brown from the bow which is double digits.

I would still love to see it.

A 30" trout would also do the job. Bulls need not apply.

I do not believe there are any trout in Great Bear.

Best trout fishing I have ever seen was very close to the coast. Rainbows and shocking sea run cutthroat. Nothing wrong with some chrome coho action either.

Blue Ribbon my *****
Old 08-17-2012, 05:17 PM

Southbow has pictures of double didgt trout. It may not be bows or browns but there some hawg bullies in the bow.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:34 PM
Banned

Cool

see my home page pics rainbow over ten on a fly. I do not have the tech skills to post all my pics from photographs. even if I could I would not spread the word of where they are, took me twenty years of trying to find some of my runs not just going to throw it on an interweb form to get over run. believe what you wish. I keep the best spots quiet. that's why they are that good. is there any spot in alberta called "rainbow alley" I also know of waters that have very little pressure and produce big fish. lower ram cutties,bulls of the highwood. number of fish per mile for sure the bow rules. im just saying there are other water kept secret for a reason. one spot I will suggest for size almost no river can compare with out flow of the mica dam. if you can get there you will know. not in any guide book no tv shows. just monster bulls no one ever chases. sorry if I am giving up some ones spot I hope access is so restricted and difficult the calgary hordes leave it alone.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgaryguy1977 View Post
Hey guys, if you could fly anywhere in western Canada to fly fish for trout where would you go?
Biggest trout action i mean?
Thanks in advance for your input!
Cheers
Right now?

Wait about three weeks and fly to Prince Rupert and hit the Skeena drainage for steelhead. Remember that steelhead return to saltwater and should be always be released.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
First of all the raven does not compare in any way with the bow either for size or number. I'm not knock'n the raven, I love fishin that glorified ditch as much as anybody, but no way does it produce as well as the bow. The red definitely has big browns but they are not present in any kind of numbers, nor are they double digit fish. As far as BC goes, I ain't callin you a liar bro, as I will always leave room for the fact that someone knows a little somethin somethin that I don't but I grew up in Fort St. John and fished all those northern rivers and all around the pine pass and tumbler ridge. I guided out of mackenzie trail lodge for a couple of years and fished the upper dean, the blackwater and all throughout the nechako lakes watershed. When I lived in Van, I worked at Berry's Bait and Tackle in the winters, and guided for them at their lodge in river's inlet (Salmon King Lodge) in the summers, and I never have seen or heard of any river in BC that produces double digit trout on a regular basis. Just to be clear bout this, we are talkin trout right? If we are countin salmon, steelhead, bull trout or any other non-trout I take back everything I said!! So you say you havn't seen pics of double digit bow fish, that's fair. I have never seen pics of double digit trout from any BC river. So without givin away your spots this is what we gotta do to settle this. You whip out yours, I'll whip out mine.....we will see who's is bigga!!
Old 08-17-2012, 09:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
First of all the raven does not compare in any way with the bow either for size or number. I'm not knock'n the raven, I love fishin that glorified ditch as much as anybody, but no way does it produce as well as the bow. The red definitely has big browns but they are not present in any kind of numbers, nor are they double digit fish. As far as BC goes, I ain't callin you a liar bro, as I will always leave room for the fact that someone knows a little somethin somethin that I don't but I grew up in Fort St. John and fished all those northern rivers and all around the pine pass and tumbler ridge. I guided out of mackenzie trail lodge for a couple of years and fished the upper dean, the blackwater and all throughout the nechako lakes watershed. When I lived in Van, I worked at Berry's Bait and Tackle in the winters, and guided for them at their lodge in river's inlet (Salmon King Lodge) in the summers, and I never have seen or heard of any river in BC that produces double digit trout on a regular basis. Just to be clear bout this, we are talkin trout right? If we are countin salmon, steelhead, bull trout or any other non-trout I take back everything I said!! So you say you havn't seen pics of double digit bow fish, that's fair. I have never seen pics of double digit trout from any BC river. So without givin away your spots this is what we gotta do to settle this. You whip out yours, I'll whip out mine.....we will see who's is bigga!!
I must have missed the part where he mentioned double digit resident riverine trout, that, or he didn't.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:13 PM

Aylmer Lake in the NWT huge lake trout, massive grayling and mammoth pike with a smatterings of arctic char.
GPS Coordinates: 64°10’N 108°06’W
The plane is booked for next week to Aylmer Lake for a week of great fishing should be an awesome time.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:45 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
some people, hay guess what if some one told us all ten plus years ago the WORLD RECORD bow came out of saskachawachan most angler would have laughed.so no you keep yours,mine is on my home page .
Old 08-17-2012, 11:24 PM
Banned

Cool

not sure how to go forward from here. im not going to question your resume in sports fishing. I grew up in kitimat and spent another fifteen living around BC later in life. and have no intention of putting folks on fish. I gave up mica. no more, life time of finding good fish. fish & tell & go to hell.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Country View Post
Aylmer Lake in the NWT huge lake trout, massive grayling and mammoth pike with a smatterings of arctic char.
GPS Coordinates: 64°10’N 108°06’W
The plane is booked for next week to Aylmer Lake for a week of great fishing should be an awesome time.
That sounds awesome.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:54 AM

There's tons of amazing places right here in alberta you just have to find em
Old 08-18-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Not a single person has been able to post a pic of a bow or brown from the bow which is double digits.

I would still love to see it.

A 30" trout would also do the job. Bulls need not apply.

I do not believe there are any trout in Great Bear. Best trout fishing I have ever seen was very close to the coast. Rainbows and shocking sea run cutthroat. Nothing wrong with some chrome coho action either.

Blue Ribbon my *****
There certainly are trout in Great Bear Lake.
I have fished at Deline and had lakers to 25lb and saw one landed over 45lb. I believe Great Bear Lake holds a number all tackle World Records as well line class records for lake trout.
Check out Plummers web-site http://www.plummerslodges.com/lodges/great-bear-lake
Old 08-18-2012, 04:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertslake View Post
There certainly are trout in Great Bear Lake.
I have fished at Deline and had lakers to 25lb and saw one landed over 45lb. I believe Great Bear Lake holds a number all tackle World Records as well line class records for lake trout.
Check out Plummers web-site http://www.plummerslodges.com/lodges/great-bear-lake
hmm, this reminds me of another current thread...

What I was getting at is that lakers are charr, as opposed to rainbows, cutties, and browns, which are trout.