Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-16-2019, 10:12 AM

Default Camping on crownland/PLUZ in AB

Hello,

I've recently been exploring the possibility of camping in PLUZ areas. I've done some research and found some maps but what I'm not clear about is where exactly can I camp.

Exploring on google maps I can see areas where people are doing random camping with their trailers and what not but other areas which are designed PLUZ I can't really tell if I'm allowed to camp there or not.

I just have a small trailer with an RTT attached to it so I'm only looking at staying 2 or 3 nights at most and want to be away from the crowds. Some of the areas I see on google maps look overcrowded. I want peace and quiet

I guess what confuses me are statements like this: "Where vehicles are permitted, they are not allowed to travel off the trail or road." So for example I attached a picture. Assuming that area I have shown is a PLUZ zone. Am I able to drive off the road onto that area I marked with an X to camp? Is it as simple as that?

Assuming there is no fence and I'm following all the guidelines of staying X distance away from the water etc etc.

Any info appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Camp1.jpg (35.0 KB, 72 views)
Old 02-16-2019, 10:21 AM

it really depends on the pluz, the AEP has made many new changes about random camping and off road use. best option is to go on their website and read all the regs for the pluz you want to access.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:32 AM

If you are camping on cronwland the its pretty simple. You look at a decent spot on some topo maps which have trails nearby and camp there.

With a PLUZ you have to look at the PLUZ maps themselves. They will show trails which are accessible by foot only, OHV, car etc. and make sure you stay on the respective trails. Staging areas and whether or not you can camp should be noted on the map as well. Really not that complicated.

Most PLUZ areas have also something called georeferenced pdf maps. Meaning you can load them into an app called "Avenza" for example and with GPS will tell you where you are located on the map.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:59 AM

So it looks like with PLUZ zones, you are still limited to certain areas of where you can actually camp.

My example in that pic appears off limits.

Looks like I need to do some more research. Trying that Avenza and PDF.....

Tags
camping, crown land, random camping