Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 10-20-2015, 10:53 AM

Default Belize Unguided

Hi All
Does anyone know which resorts would be best to stay at where one could go for bonefish/permit without a guide?

Cheers
Old 10-28-2015, 08:31 AM

Which area are you headed to. I stayed in san pedro and you could rent a bicycle or a golf cart and travel up and down the island. You then can wade the shoreline and fish. That is what i did but i fished with spinning gear. Be prepared for lots of wind. We saw lots of bones but no permit. Invest in a good pair if sunglasses because it is awfully hard to catch fish if you do not see them.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:36 PM

Placencia might be a good area to poke around in.
San Pedro as mentioned, and neighboring Caye Caulker have good DIY fishing, but may lack "resorts", Caye Caulker for sure is laid back.
Cheers,
Old 10-28-2015, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayr View Post
Placencia might be a good area to poke around in.
San Pedro as mentioned, and neighboring Caye Caulker have good DIY fishing, but may lack "resorts", Caye Caulker for sure is laid back.
Cheers,
I've been to Caye Caulker a couple of times, many moons ago. The fishing was really good early morning and dusk at "The Split", an area of the island where a hurricane divided the island in two. While swimming at this spot in the daytime, it was common to see schools of barracuda. At night, tarpon, snapper, and grunt could be caught here. I did see a school of permit feeding near shore one day, but didn't have my gear with me then. I'm not sure if there are any resorts on Caye Caulker yet, but it used to be a very laid back place with simple, affordable accomadation and great food.