Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-26-2015, 10:40 AM

Default Little Smokey road conditions

I was just up at Grizzly Jct Thursday, be aware that they are rebuilding Bigstone road with timed closures. It's open for 30 minute shots at 6, 9, 12, 3, 6. Might wanna take the long way in.

Last edited by JCJ; 09-26-2015 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:35 PM

Excellent post thanks for thať your probly savin a cpl guys
Old 09-30-2015, 02:48 PM

Default Meh

I feel out of place on the big stone road, a series of check points and more traffic than highway 43, I hope this isn't the future for all of our resource roads , goin out tommorow on the lsr and I won't even be seeing fox creek 😜
Old 10-01-2015, 02:50 AM

I've driven the entire trout highway and had countless explorations on backroads across the country, but I truly think that Bigstone road is one of the worst. That road is the sh#ts.
Old 10-01-2015, 01:27 PM

Just wondering but... Does this area see a ton of pressure?
Old 10-01-2015, 07:37 PM

Its not too bad for the most part just the more ya walk the less people you see but the grayling are eager
Old 10-02-2015, 05:33 AM

going to be there this week also.leaving sunday
Old 10-02-2015, 10:10 AM

Default lol so i kept count this day.....

56 greys , 1 white lol, stood in one spot all day copper john/prince nymph were the real producers but couldnt help to tie on a klinkhammer at the end of the day for some explosive top water action

this happened 5 times lol..

beuatifull fish on beuatifull day im sure any one who got out on the water in alberta yesterday had a fantastic day

Good luck JR, and jcj if u wana know how to access that river via not the bigstoneroad lol Google earth a spot for yourself or pm me i can give you more specifics, goin back out today different spot different watershed chasing some big whites keep the ball rolling..... hopefully lol
Old 10-02-2015, 10:13 AM

Looks like a very fun day Dragless! I love that river.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:45 PM

was there few weeks ago... great river fishing
Old 10-08-2015, 10:42 PM

Went in last Sunday. Closure is just the first few kms of Bigstone Rd. Go in through Smoky Lake campground access and you meet up Bigstone Rd at km 8. Clear sailing from there. I went in with my Volvo cross country wagon quiet easily.

First time in and fishing grayling. Beautiful fish!
Old 10-09-2015, 12:05 AM

Can't say enough about that river, its treated me well these last couple months. I've been working down the Tony Main and Tower Road and the fishing has been awesome, almost every night for a couple hours has been insanely productive and now into the fall the 50+ fish days are not unheard of. Has anyone ventured far enough up the Bigstone to fish the other rivers other than the Little Smokey?
Old 10-09-2015, 08:02 AM

Awesome news Oh2fish. Sounds like they are getting that road fixed up.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StenneS View Post
Can't say enough about that river, its treated me well these last couple months. I've been working down the Tony Main and Tower Road and the fishing has been awesome, almost every night for a couple hours has been insanely productive and now into the fall the 50+ fish days are not unheard of. Has anyone ventured far enough up the Bigstone to fish the other rivers other than the Little Smokey?
I've been working up on the Waskahigan since March. I have fished the Simonette River, the Waskahigan river and tribs as well. In the early months there were definitely 50+ fish nights after work, and in the last couple months its only gotten better. As we moved closer to fall, I concentrated more on the Simonette River. The size of the fish increased substantially as the grayling started to pool up. Still catching 15-25 fish a night. Beautiful fish and great fishing.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:18 AM

Went to the Little Smokey Friday. The section from Hwy 43 to the gas plant is still closed except the 15 minutes windows as described above.

I took the Smoke Lake road to the Bighorn road with no problems. However, when I turned onto the Bighorn just before the first crossing on the Little Smokey, they had that section closed too. You can get down to the first river crossing, however, going past that section, they have it closed. You can get through at 9:20am, 12:20pm, 3:20pm and after 6:30pm. You can travel back on that section (heading back east) at 9am, 12pm, 3pm and 6pm.

So be aware, two sections now closed. The first section day and night shifts running. The second section - only day shift.

And as an update, ended up fishing the river for only 3 hours, caught 9 grayling in total all on beadheads. The fish are in the deeper pools only now.
Old 10-19-2015, 02:42 PM

Keep in mind you can also take the ANC road to the Bigstone and it puts you a little further down the way on the Little Smokey. I've been working up here since August and the fishing has been A+.