Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-24-2015, 01:41 PM

Question Stupid question I know ok lol (shooting and muscles)

So iv got a hernia right above my belly button. I go in for my ultrasound on aug 4th then ill find out when my surgery is. I have no idea how long of a wait itll be to get in for surgery but Dr told me it would be like a 4-6 week recovery time. How important are your ab muscles when drawing a bow?? Do they get alot of strain? I have a feeling my hunting season is in jeopardy. My friends will do the heavy lifting if I manage to put something on the ground. But if I cant shoot my bow im done till oct24th

Iv got a muscle binder on now, and I have a belt that goes with it to put way more direct pressure on the hernia. Am I screwed???
Old 07-24-2015, 01:47 PM

not sure doesn't feel like much but I don't have a hernia
Bohning Staff shooter
Stan Releases Pro Staff
Old 07-24-2015, 02:10 PM

AB muscles minimal ...ever been to a shoot....evident by all the pot bellys...lol

Seriously minimal .....the majority of a proper draw should be arm, shoulder and back muscle's in concert with each other... utilizing upper back body...
One can really feel it with back back or shoulder issues...

Common sence says turn bow down to 50-55 ish and practise a little until you know for sure...

having said that I have never had a herna either...thank you...lol

Best wishes and get well soon!!!

Neil
Old 07-24-2015, 02:40 PM

To a degree your ab muscles come into play not necessarily for the drawing portion but your core muscles are used for stability once at full draw. Turn down your bow and don't push yourself to hard.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:57 PM
Banned

If you feel strain then you know to stop.

If you really want to keep shooting.....then drop your poundage.

I know its tough to stop doing what one loves to do.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:09 PM

I'd recommend visiting a physiotherapist to decide. I personally wouldn't do it unless a good pt said it was fine. Your core muscles are used in virtually every movement. I'd rather give up one season and not inure myself more, than have an excruciating season. I've had serious injuries before and the biggest challenge with recovery is the mental aspect. Being patient and pushing through the physical side of things at the right timing is best. With that said, I've never had a hernia so I have no idea what that's like. Sounds brutal though. Good luck with full and speedy recovery
Old 07-24-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
I'd recommend visiting a physiotherapist to decide. I personally wouldn't do it unless a good pt said it was fine. Your core muscles are used in virtually every movement. I'd rather give up one season and not inure myself more, than have an excruciating season. I've had serious injuries before and the biggest challenge with recovery is the mental aspect. Being patient and pushing through the physical side of things at the right timing is best. With that said, I've never had a hernia so I have no idea what that's like. Sounds brutal though. Good luck with full and speedy recovery
good advice. I tore my lower abdominals, and it is amazing how many weight exercises, actually have the core muscles come into play. I had to change or stop many exercises, including biceps and triceps. If you are going to still try and shoot, always engage your core before putting it under pressure.
"Here are a few ways to get the feel for it:

Use your front six-pack abdominal muscle to “pull up” on the front of your pelvis (not in), then bear down a little in order to push your abdomen out in all directions.
Try using a quick, forceful grunt to help you push your mid-section outward as if bracing it for a punch to the gut. Do it repeatedly to really get the feel.
Your core naturally engages as the very first step in coughing or laughing. So another way to get the feel for how to correctly activate your core is by initiating one of those actions–you’re looking for that abdominal activation that takes place just before any cough or laugh actually occurs.
Or rest your hands on either side of your abdomen and try to push them away using only your abdominal muscles."
Old 07-29-2015, 01:35 AM

Default my 2 cents

So I work in the medical field and do deal with stuff like this....I am by no means the expert, but after your surgery your instructions will likely include an order that says no lifting anything greater than 5 lbs for several weeks. Ever picked up a 5 lb dumb bell?....they're light. So that shows you how little weight it may take to do damage. Tearing open your recently repaired hernia would suck, and would finish any hunting season. Obviously every one heals differently, and can tolerate things differently. My advice is tread carefully!!! Causing a more permanent weakness in that area of your abdominal wall may not be worth the risk. JMHO. Good luck though and I hope things go well for you.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:58 AM
Banned

I had a hernia operation about 8 yrs. ago. Before the operation I could carry out normal work duties no problem, esp. if wearing that special belt. After the operation however, I could barely move around the first week, and slowly got better in about 5 weeks. I seriously doubt you'll be pulling a bow for at least 3-5 weeks after operation.
Good luck on your operation and hope you have a good recovery.