Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-10-2013, 08:07 AM

Default Gaiters for Stalking

Anyone have a pair of gaiters good for stalking? Looked up a few brands and thought I'd see what people use here.

I have a tough pair of Gortex gaiters from MEC for almost 15 years. But do not use them for hunting due to the noise when I brush along the lower vegetation. Makes a loud "wisp" noise.

I have been using the neoprene gravel guards from my waders. Works great in snow that is not too deep. Too deep and the snow pushes them up a bit.

I might just make some "over gaiters" to put over my Gortex gaiters out of an old pair of hunting pants.

All feedback is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 11-10-2013, 01:51 PM

I have a pair of "Vista" Gators that I bought years ago. The outer fabric is fleece and they are whisper quiet.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:13 PM

Outdoor research are the ones I have. Love them. Just don't rub them together and there is no problem with noise.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briverb View Post
Anyone have a pair of gaiters good for stalking? Looked up a few brands and thought I'd see what people use here.

I have a tough pair of Gortex gaiters from MEC for almost 15 years. But do not use them for hunting due to the noise when I brush along the lower vegetation. Makes a loud "wisp" noise.

I have been using the neoprene gravel guards from my waders. Works great in snow that is not too deep. Too deep and the snow pushes them up a bit.

I might just make some "over gaiters" to put over my Gortex gaiters out of an old pair of hunting pants.

All feedback is appreciated.

Thanks
I bought a set of browning gaiters w/gortex liners & fleece outer 10 or 15 years ago from Wholesale Calgary. Still going strong today, well okay I used them Saturday. I've been in my Sorels for the rest of the time!
Old 11-14-2013, 11:28 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I will look into the ones listed above.

I did however manage to make a pair out of an old beat up long sleeve shirt. I cut off the sleeves, stitched a string throught the top part of the sleeve and rain another string through the cuff hole, under my boot and through the other end of the cuff. With the small end of the sleeve being open, it slide down perfectly over my full length Gortex gaitors. I used them once this week and bagged a decent buck from the ground. Imagine that. I'd post picks of my gaiter creations, but have concern about getting laughed at due the "Christmas pattern" of the shirt I used. Hahahaha. But darn things worked awesome.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:41 AM

Made me think of Jim Shockey. Looks like he wears WOOL gaiters on his legs and arms. What's up with that? Never seen anyone else do it. Well maybe they aren't wool on his legs, can't recall. But he's always in leg gaiters and some cazy stuff on his arms.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:21 PM

I don't think they are wool gaiters just a funny boot.
On his wrists he wears wool socks he claims it is very important in hand warmth to keep your wrists warm as there are large veins and arteries running there and cold wrists equal cold hands.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:04 PM

Gators are great for walking but for a close and personal stalk i would take them off or use fleece. Fleece isn't durable for long walks but what is durable isn't super quiet.