Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-26-2013, 03:46 PM

Default Comparing Ramcats to Slick Trick Mags.

Last week I stopped into WSS Nanaimo and thought I'd pick up another pack of Slick Trick Mags. They didn't have any, but as I was killing a little time, I thought I'd do some browsing. I saw the Smoke Ramcats on the shelf, and I remembered reading great reviews, so I grabbed a pack of 100 grains. The next day I was on a friends acreage and decided to compare the flight of the Ramcats to my field points. At 50 yards, bang on with my field points. I looked at the designed of the Ramcats, and could see how they would force the arrow to spin, thereby increasing accuracy. Nice! The head itself is a hybrid. The normal position of the blades are swept back, but in the event of not passing through, the blades are sharpened front and back. So any opposite force, like an animal running with the arrow in it, the blades would move into a 90 degree angle, and do more damage as the arrow worked it's way back out, hopefully causing a larger blood trail.
So compared to the 4 blade Slick Trick Mag, the Ramcat is a 3 blade head, with larger blades. The trocar tip is larger than the ST Mags. It flies the same as ST's on my bow. The blades are out of the package sharp, (front and back) just like STs. The blades of the Ramcat don't seem as thick or strong as the ST's, but I do believe they will do some major damage on an animal if the shot is where it's suppose to be. I think a shoulder shot may be more of an issue with the Ramcats. The one thing, that don't care for with the Ramcats, is that after one shot into a broadhead target the blades were quite loose. I had to tightened them up with a .050 hex key, which is a little inconvenient if you don't happen to have one with you.
So... I will use the Ramcats and Slick Trick Mags for deer this year. I hope I will be able to compare their performance on animals, and post the results. Now comes the long wait until deer season!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ram vs st.jpg (56.8 KB, 184 views)
Old 04-26-2013, 04:54 PM

Keep us informed. I'd be very interested to see how they perform.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 04-26-2013, 09:53 PM

Tried some ramcats last year. Was testing them out to see how they flew at 60 yards. Pulled it out of my target and one blade was bent. That was the end of my Ramcat testing.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:16 AM

My dad tried ramcats the screws holding the blades rattled out in transport. That was the end of the ramcats for him.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:53 AM

yes...seems like those screws loosening can be an issue.
Old 04-28-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
My dad tried ramcats the screws holding the blades rattled out in transport. That was the end of the ramcats for him.
2x
Old 04-28-2013, 05:22 PM

they claim to have fixed the loose screw issue. I must have got old stock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8syTz...ature=youtu.be
Old 04-28-2013, 11:02 PM

I have been shooting ram cats the past few years. I yet to find a broadhead that flies as good as them. I have only shot a few animals with them. A moose and a wolf. The wolf was 70 yards and the moose was a might further. Both shots were pass throughs. I don't need a lecture from the ethics police.

The only down side is a guy has to be careful putting the heads in and out of the quiver. The tips are flimsy. I put a dab of blue loctite on the screws so I had no issues with the screws.

This was the exit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (96.7 KB, 108 views)
Old 04-28-2013, 11:04 PM

This is the shape of the head.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (42.4 KB, 137 views)
Old 04-28-2013, 11:09 PM

Sorry I can only post one pic at a time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (38.1 KB, 133 views)
Old 04-29-2013, 06:23 AM

Nice wolf!
Old 04-29-2013, 04:27 PM

I picked up a pack myself always trying to find the perfect broad head. One of the blades on one are already loose which is a huge concern considering when it will come loose again. They get me super nervous about a shoulder shot they just don't seem as hard hitting.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:06 PM

mine never got loose until I pulled it back out of my broadhead target and the blade shifted for the back cut.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:16 PM

My first pack I had a couple loose blades. I took out each screw out and put blue lock tite on em. No issues since. As far as penetration goes there are piles of tests online showing they rank way up there. My real world test showed a pass through on a bull moose at a long long distance. That's proof enough for me. They fly like darts and shoot right with my broadheads out to 100 yrds plus. My only complaint was the tips were prone to bending. Even bent they were lasers.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:59 PM

Aren't the Ram cats considered Barbed with the blade design?? If so illegal in several provinces
Old 04-30-2013, 08:33 PM

I asked a f&w officer and he said they were fine in alberta. Part of his reasoning was sharp n both sides of the blade.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:04 PM

Ramcats are definitely more forgiving in flight....I found that out,shooting Tricks and Ramcats in practice. They both leave great entrance and exit wounds. I can't compare blood trails as I shot the above deer a little high....and on flat ground...so entrance and exit wounds were same height...but buck dropped in sight at 40 yards. Now durability....I've shot deer with Tricks...sharpened the blades, and they are ready to use again. Ramcats....on the deer above, one blade curled at the end...a common issue, as I've read on forums.....however....the tip was damaged on a rib. Broadhead is toast. I was very surprised at that. The Ramcat did it's job...happy with that...use them with confidence.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:04 PM

Entrance hole next to my thumb.