Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-09-2013, 03:46 PM

Default Thanks Dad - what do I do now!

I wondered for probably 25 years why I am right handed for absolutely everything but rifle shooting. I shoot a fair amount, and am not a sniper by any stretch, but I am pretty good. I know and follow the principles of marksmanship with every shot.

I remember when I was about 11, and Dad had me out in the woods of Nova Scotia with his old Lakefield Mossberg 500 (Mom bought it for him as a Christmas gift at Kmart in 1974, and recently Dad gave it to me.) He was teaching me to hunt and we saw a squirrel on a pile of brush a few metres out. He, being right handed, stood on my left side and help me support that heavy shotgun. I'm pretty sure that was my first shot with something other than an air rifle. I missed.

I am sure that is why I've held a rifle left handed ever since.

So, recently, I hear about this test to find out which is your dominant eye. I tried it over and over and find out my right eye is dominant, but I have been shooting with a dominant eye conflict for all these years.

I been wanting to buy a bow for about 10 years, and now is the time. I have been doing some research before I head out. I think I will try a local guy in Edmonton. I was looking at a site that explained go with what you are used to so that would be a LH bow for me. but...it also says if you shoot with both eyes open, which I do, go for a bow that suits with your dominant eye.

Any of you guys experience this?

Thanks

Last edited by jmdrmt; 11-09-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:58 PM

I shot a right handed bow for a year and then realized that what felt natural was not proper because I am left eye dominant so I switched based on advice from a guy at the Calgary archery Centre and trained my body to shoot left which improved my accuracy a lot
Though it is very unnatural feeling I would say switching will make you a better archer in the long run or at least that's how it worked for me
Old 11-09-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newell View Post
I shot a right handed bow for a year and then realized that what felt natural was not proper because I am left eye dominant so I switched based on advice from a guy at the Calgary archery Centre and trained my body to shoot left which improved my accuracy a lot
Though it is very unnatural feeling I would say switching will make you a better archer in the long run or at least that's how it worked for me
^^^^^^^^this
Old 11-12-2013, 03:15 PM

I would highly recommened your shoot right handed as you are right handed, right eye dominant, and shoot with both eyes open....100%

franckly I dont know how you possibly hit anything with both eyes open unless usuing a scope...lol

At only ten yards I would be two feet off on the shot

Neil
Old 11-12-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post
I would highly recommened your shoot right handed as you are right handed, right eye dominant, and shoot with both eyes open....100%

franckly I dont know how you possibly hit anything with both eyes open unless usuing a scope...lol

At only ten yards I would be two feet off on the shot

Neil
I am right eye dominant but shoot left-handed with both eyes open works for me

LC
Old 11-12-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC

I am left handed, left eye dominant; shoot rifle / shotgun lefty, shoot bow and handgun righty... swing a bat, club, hockey stick righty.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:06 PM

Thanks for the input folks. I will start with a RH bow and go from there Pudelpointer and Lefty - your situations describe mine exactly.

LOST, I should clarify. With a scope, both eyes are open, but with iron sights, the right eye (the second) is open but closes as well as I change focus between the rear sight/front sight and target
Old 11-13-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
Ya but your "special" Lefty ...lol

there are a few shooters that are ambidextrous and can shoot either hand...there are also shooters that a near eye ambidextrous also and can shoot either eye...you may be border line...

With ..."normal" dominant eye shooters the differeance is substancial..
for example...

A shooter stands ten yards from target...both eyes open points right arm hand and finger at target ..[arm like rifle barrel]..

Now if I close my LEFT eye I/they will still be pointing at same exact spot as with both eyes open...

Now if I/they close RIGHT eye...I am now pointing two feet to the right...

works with either arm, hand...with a rifle I/they would be two feet off target even at ten yards...

Having said that ...some can adjust their equipment to make up for this differance ...however with extreme dominant eye, most equipment will not allow for this much windage or adjustment...

however that differance is less for those shooters that are special...lol

JMHO
Neil