Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-04-2013, 03:59 PM
Banned

Default Arrow trackers?

I've read about 2 types of arrow tracking that are interesting but im not sure about legality.

1 The BowBug. Basically a heavy radio transmitter nock. Not much different than a lumanock but seems like it wouldn't be legal for electronic device reg.

2 String trackers. Easy and can even be diy but what about the 'not designed to stay inside animal' clause?

I think I will build a couple flu flus but still curious about these options. Yes, I know practice and shot placement is more important but they dont help much on pass throughs that happen with small game (even if you try to use a tree as a backstop, it doesn't take much to deflect).
Old 11-04-2013, 04:16 PM

Much better off learning how to follow a blood trail and read sign....

I recommend you pic up the new Outdoor Edge mag that Alberta Fish and Game members receive....there is a great article on tracking game in this months issue.

***sorry misread, you want to find arrows when you miss? Or have a pass through?

LC
Old 11-05-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tow Bow View Post
I've read about 2 types of arrow tracking that are interesting but im not sure about legality.

1 The BowBug. Basically a heavy radio transmitter nock. Not much different than a lumanock but seems like it wouldn't be legal for electronic device reg.

2 String trackers. Easy and can even be diy but what about the 'not designed to stay inside animal' clause?

I think I will build a couple flu flus but still curious about these options. Yes, I know practice and shot placement is more important but they dont help much on pass throughs that happen with small game (even if you try to use a tree as a backstop, it doesn't take much to deflect).
Tow Bow, I think you're asking about tracking your arrow after the pass-through?

If so, look into this option... FOB String tracking You may need to change your current archery setup though....

I shoot the FOB's, but haven't set up an arrow with string tracking (yet)... I had a couple of pass-throughs and had to search for my arrows for a while before I found them. The string tracker shown in the video would've made it easy to find my arrows.

J.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tow Bow View Post
That's is a great concept.... sounds like th product needs some work though.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:58 PM

If you talking about small game...the legal for electronic device reg. doesnt really apply as that ruling is simply for registering record book animals in P&Y ..Boone & Crockett ...etc in their record books...

Its in the same class as lumenocks or lighted sights..

The strink tracker that utilize a fishing line type string and reel have a small hook on the head that attaches on the entry...or even if it is attached to broadhead...the string/line doesnt really stay in the animal if animal breaks the string so its legal ...seen it used several times ...works well with bears...seen it used on an maginal hit elk and when elk reached end of track line it simply popped out ..
But again is legal used as directed...

The BowBug wouldnt reall help track the animal as most arrows pass thru or if arrow doesnt most times animal will break the arrow with the nock end being knocked out of the animal...so at best it will help you find your arrow...or broken arrow and nock...JMHO

the String tracker can effect arrow flight and is added weight and most times works only if animal goes down which is usually in sight...

As Lefty-Canuck nothing beats a good hit and watching animal go down big or small game ...hit in lower one third of body in vitals will produce more blood for trail anyone can follow...

there are devices like the game tracker that uses heat infered to track...but thats dicey at best also...

For small game the Zwicky Judo point does a quick job without loseing arrow or small game most times...

JMHO
Neil
Old 11-07-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
If so, look into this option... FOB String tracking You may need to change your current archery setup though.... J.
Genius... If only you could use FOB's through a WB Nothing more frustrating that spending quality hunting time searching for that arrow.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAlite View Post
Genius... If only you could use FOB's through a WB Nothing more frustrating that spending quality hunting time searching for that arrow.
Well you could use FOBs with a WB, but they'd only stabilize the arrow for about 28" (depending on your draw length).... LOL

Be a little noisy upon launch too.... ha ha ha...

They do work exceptionally well with a QAD drop away though... and stabilize my bh like nothing else.

J.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:32 PM

I think the lighted fob is a great way to find your arrow but the string thing seems a good idea too just not sure how it would help if the string breaks
Old 11-08-2013, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
Well you could use FOBs with a WB, but they'd only stabilize the arrow for about 28" (depending on your draw length).... LOL
I'm only accurate out to 36" so it just... might... work...