Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-03-2013, 08:21 PM

Default Hunting with a bow

I've been reading and following a few threads on bow hunting. Do most hunt out of a tree stand or what is the best technique? Everytime I go out, I try to sneak into an area just scouting, no bow, I can't even get within 60+ yards. Just curious how others do it. I have a neighbor in my zone that has asked me to come and sit in his field amongst the bales to try and get a deer or elk. The elk are peeing on the bales and he wants them gone. Since I got my bow, I have been out almost every day practicing on my target. I have my bow dialed in to 50 yards with a very tight pattern. I really enjoy all this.

Just curious on techniques. Do I need to get a tree stand for best results or just be patient?

Thanks!!!
Old 11-03-2013, 08:34 PM

I ve been bow hunting for 15 years now and of the 37 critters I've been fortunate to harvest only 1 has been out of a tree stand . get the wind in your favor and have a lot of patience.. biggest thing I try not todo is never spook a critter if u don't have to ....
Old 11-03-2013, 09:50 PM

I hunt mostly on the ground, I have shot a couple animals from a tree stand but I prefer to be mobile. If I was hunting small pieces of private land I would utilize a tree stand more....I do hunt from ground blinds fairly often.

LC
Old 11-03-2013, 10:25 PM

Both my deer were from the ground but I prefer to be in a tree when possible, mainly cause I like the birds eye view
Old 11-03-2013, 10:42 PM

My first year in a stand was learn and fail - from getting busted to not having stand location or wind direction right. Read, practice, scout & three deer the following year. The next year tree stand & homemade ground blinds again 3 deer. The following year, I tried spot and stock using wind direction and trying not to smell human, 1 deer. Over the years, I don't bother with stands anymore or ground blinds. Through experience, it is 90% scouting and 10% hunting. Hunt into the wind so it won't bust you. watch and learn game patterns if at all possible, learn to identify fresh track from old, and most important be patient. I don't hunt for horns, I hunt for meat.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quad_hopper View Post
I've been reading and following a few threads on bow hunting. Do most hunt out of a tree stand or what is the best technique? Everytime I go out, I try to sneak into an area just scouting, no bow, I can't even get within 60+ yards. Just curious how others do it. I have a neighbor in my zone that has asked me to come and sit in his field amongst the bales to try and get a deer or elk. The elk are peeing on the bales and he wants them gone. Since I got my bow, I have been out almost every day practicing on my target. I have my bow dialed in to 50 yards with a very tight pattern. I really enjoy all this.

Just curious on techniques. Do I need to get a tree stand for best results or just be patient?

Thanks!!!
In a tree stand, you'll see less than moving around, but when you do see them, you'll have a quality chance (almost every time if youre setup right) to launch an arrow arrow.

I'm about 50/50 for bowhunting harvests. I've only ever taken one whiteail from the ground though.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:19 AM

My greatest asset when i started bow hunting years ago was getting hooked up with individuals that actually had a clue on how to do it. If im hunting whitetails early season im in a stand or a blind. Pre Rut im on the ground raking bush and stomping ground trying to call them in. Rut i prefer to be in the stand again. I mainly hunt the Calgary Bow Zone and this has usually worked for me and every year i get good opportunities to take quite a few deer. Im definately not saying im an expert by any means but i try to learn something new every year from those guys that are successful and have many more years in than i do. I give credit to anyone that can harvest a animal with a bow because its just not as easy as it looks on TV!!!!!!!!!! Good Luck out there.........
Old 11-04-2013, 09:52 AM

Wind being the most critical element of your style now, up close and personal demands patience and time in the field.

Your tree stand or ground blind will help "hide" your movement when you need to draw your bow, usually when most get busted.

As previously mentioned, stand and blind hunting usually increases your odds of a "quality" opportunity as well.

Enjoy your experience, and have fun !!
Old 11-04-2013, 10:17 AM

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to head out this weekend. I have been trying to sneak in behind the bales. I do pay attention to the wind, unfortunately so far, its the crunching of the snow that is spooking them as I walk. I know where they eat and sleep. All I do know, successful or not, it's a freakin blast. So nice to be outside and to watch their movements and patterns is fun. Getting close enough is the trick as you know. I only hunt for the food, not the antlers either. That being said, if I have the choice, I will take the antler one, LOL.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
I do pay attention to the wind, unfortunately so far, its the crunching of the snow that is spooking them as I walk.
Don't sweat the crunching part - they are used to the sounds of animals making noises in the bush. Think of how much ruckus a grouse or a squirrel make in the dry leaves.

Consider your walking as part of the calling sequence. The key is not to sound like an animal that is on the move, or in a hurry, i.e. marching. Think of how a critter moves... Step, step, step, pause... Rinse and repeat.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:28 AM

Consider using a fawn bleat or such to cover up your crunching sounds. If you have ever watched fawn's playing around they make a ton of noise. IMO
Old 11-04-2013, 07:48 PM

Funny thing today, get home from work. Look out off the deck, 5 whitetail deer are the back yard. Step out on to the deck and range them in. Closest one is 64 yrds. Thought I would test the calls out and see how they respond. They looked my way and that was about it. It was interesting to see how they responded. All part of the learning process, pretty awesome...
Old 11-07-2013, 04:39 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Funny thing today, get home from work. Look out off the deck, 5 whitetail deer are the back yard. Step out on to the deck and range them in. Closest one is 64 yrds. Thought I would test the calls out and see how they respond. They looked my way and that was about it. It was interesting to see how they responded. All part of the learning process, pretty awesome...
Looks like you got a place for a ground blind or a tree stand and you do not have to go far!