Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 11-05-2013, 08:41 AM

Default Advise needed- WMU 410 for Mulie/WH

I have next week off and will be spending it bowhunting.

I have been scouting the Ghost area of 412 off trans alta road. There is some good deer sign in there, lots of bedding areas on overlooks, tracks, etc. But I'm starting to second guess this location due to rifle season and the likleyhood the animals will go deeper into the bush.
I was out there yesterday and there was less evidence of activity and I expected more due to it being a clear day after a crappy couple of days.

Anyway, I started wondering of I should take my tags and relocate over to 410. Mainly due to what I would expect would be less hunting pressure.

Has anyone on here had success connecting in 410 for either WH or Mules?
Would the Mulies still be up in the altitude or would you expect them to be coming down for the rut?

The closer it gets to my week off the more I'm starting to stress out that I may be wasting time off the trans alta road.

Would anyone want to provide their 2 cents on what they think is the best course of action at this point?
Old 11-05-2013, 03:14 PM

Anyone who's hunted deer in 410 wanna chime in?
Old 11-05-2013, 06:42 PM

I'm not sure if this will help but I hunted there quite a bit this season. While we did see game we literally saw twice as much or more game in areas that we weren't allowed to hunt in than when we were out hunting. Saw a few other bow hunters too.

Lots of areas are off limits for hunting and if you are unfamiliar with the area you run a considerable risk of being reported. I think it is good elk country and we saw some mulies too bit they were always in town or areas where hunting was prohibited. I don't think a lot of 410 is good WT habitat but maybe we were in the wrong spots.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 11-06-2013, 09:03 AM

Did you get anything, Zuludog?
Old 11-06-2013, 05:29 PM

Yeah, I get the sense that 410 has a high number of hunters vs game.
Zuludog were you hunting near Canmore?
Old 11-06-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman View Post
Did you get anything, Zuludog?
No we didn't. Only shot we had was at a whitey doe that I spotted bedded down. I was hoping that my buddy would shoot it as it would've been his first animal ever. He didn't see it before it jumped up and trotted off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekan View Post
Yeah, I get the sense that 410 has a high number of hunters vs game.
Zuludog were you hunting near Canmore?
I saw three hunters while in the woods and both were still hunting. I also saw lots of trucks that I'm assuming belonged to hunters. We hunted all around Canmore and also out by Yamniska.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard