Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-28-2013, 06:53 AM

Default Tippet/leader question.

I'm getting back into fly fishing recently, but have a question.

Originally I learned to use a leader with a tippet attached. I found that total length (15-20') tough to handle with casting, especially with a bit of wind.

I was taken on a guided fly fishing trip where the host told me just throw that away, and attached about a 12' length of just 8lb leader material. (No taper whatsoever). We were using a double San Juan Worm set up. But we were fishing for large trout in the Bow. I learned to fly fish on smaller, calm BC lakes...so river fishing was totally foreign to me.

Now I'm back doing mostly lake fishing, and the trout are smaller. Pan fry's, 12-15 inchers.

So my question is; do most of you fly fishers use the two lines (leader + tippet)? and if so, what is the total length? Do you always use a tapered leader? and what length of tippet? The flies I'm using are smaller.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:29 AM

I always use a tapered leader, it allows your fly to turn over easier. I generally run 11 ft or so iin total with 18-24 inches of of that being tippet
Old 09-28-2013, 07:59 AM

Cal Dave,

Most store bought leaders are 7.5>9' in length. The thin end, as it is used, is replaced with tippet material. With 4, 3 & 2X you can replace the thinner ends making the original leader last all season. The sequence might go like this 20 changes of 4X = 5 changes of 3X = 1 change of 2X. I tend to use the final tippet length of 2'.
I build my own leaders for all types of specialized conditions. For very fast sinking lines, the leader may only be 3' long. For long leader presentations of chironomids w/o a bobber, the leader length I'd typically use would be 20' and may exceed 30'.
But, for the bulk of fishing, my leader is 10' long. Works well on drys or nymphs.
To sum up, buy some 9' leaders & 3 tippet spools. For 95% of all fishing conditions it will work just fine.

Catch ya'

Don
Old 09-28-2013, 08:41 AM

For a nymph rig (what your guide reco'd) or streamer set up, straight mono is fine as turnover is not necessary. What I use is 8'-9' of 8-10lb maxima to a small swivel and 14-16" of 6lb to my 1st fly (usually a wire SJW) and then 14" to 2nd and the 3rd fly if desired. Adjust indicator accordingly.

Easy peasy!
Old 09-29-2013, 09:07 AM

9' tapered 3X leader and I carry 3X, 4X and 5X for tippet. 2'-4' of tippet depending on the application. 3X for streamers and hoppers, 5X for midges, etc.

A leader lasts a long time.

That's on a 6wt for the Bow.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:53 AM

I just use 9' store bought leaders for my regular rods (8.5' to 9') in length. I tie on a couple of feet of tippet to that. I tried tying my own leaders, but that turned into a big fiasco.

My understanding is that a tapered leader helps turn the fly over better. It was demonstrated to me by one person. Did the guide give you a reason as to why he uses non-tapered leader/mono?

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:52 PM

I usually use tapered leader with tippet but I find it is not necessary for a heavy nymphing rig like in the Bow or streamers for which i just use striaght mono. As mentioned you should only need a 9ft 4x or 3x leader then I usually put a 4x or 5x 1-2foot tippet on the end. Good turn over is most important for dries. I can definitely see 15-20 ft of leader being hard to cast.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:02 PM

I usually use a 9' tapered leader with absolutely no tippet to start except in windless small dry fly settings where I might add a bit. As the leader gets shorter I add tippet.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:30 PM

the reason for a straight untapered leader for nymphing is a quiker sink rate and less drag.ie a 3x or 4x length of say 9ft.tippet will allow your nymph to sink quicker and the smaller dia. will provide less drag.