Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-23-2013, 05:47 PM

Default Exshaw area fly fishing

Hello everyone,

Although I'm not new to forums, I am new to this forum. I've been a fisherman since before I can remember being a fisherman. Since moving to alberta back in 2006, I have only had a rod in the water maybe two or three times, including my unsuccessful visit to Mt Lorette ponds which also happened to be my first time fly fishing.

I have practiced catch and release for 90% of my fishing back home in Ontario, and anything we did keep, we ate.

I am going to be out in exshaw/canmore area camping with the boys this weekend. I will be the only fisherman, the rest of the guys are excited to golf.

I don't want to know any "secret holes", I would hope that is something shared only with trusted long time members, and with people we know that will tread lightly, and not abuse these waters. But I would like to know what direction to head in. I have passed by Grotto pond, gap lake, lower kan river, but have not tried any of these spots. I have a day or two of quiet fishing time, and don't know when I'll be out again, if at all this year.

I have a pair of cheap crappy tire waders, not sure if they are waterproof, but will find out, and I also have a class 4 rapid inflateable kayak I can bring with me. I am an experienced paddler, I've had no trouble paddling through the widowmaker!

Knowing what I have, what direction would you suggest to go? Grotto pond with waders? Boat? Gap lake from shore? Try my luck right from the campsite? (bow river campground)

I do like the small streams, I know there is a few near canmore, just not sure how to get there. I will be in my 4x4 Jeep, so rough terrain isn't a worry. And as a responsible off roader, I know where I can drive and not. I won't be tree smashing to get there.

And FYI, I have a TFO 4/5 weight floating line setup, and a helmet to protect my ears from casting lol!

And if anyone knows Caber Tosser on this forum, he is a good coworker of mine.

Thanks again for any pointers or direction. If you feel I am too new to the forum to share any info, I respect your decision in that too.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:51 PM

Sorry, one more note. I will not be keeping any fish I catch until I am confident I can identify the different trout here. Back home was easy, bass are bass, pike are pike, walleye are walleye, muskie are muskie. I just want to catch a fish and enjoy the outdoors without having to watch over two toddlers for once!
Old 09-23-2013, 08:08 PM

welcome to the forum!

here's a couple things you can do:

avoid gap lake, you can catch monsters there but you'll have to fish for 8 hours before you get a nibble.

not too sure about grotto this year but it might be worth a shot, chuck a backswimmer.

you can also head up to goat pond (on the way into spray lakes) with your kayak. This time of year there could be plenty of whitefish in there. use a small wire worm, chironomid, backswimmer, or tiny dries if you see rises.

wire worms in the bow may also do well, I'm not experienced with that section of it.

lastly, go into wapiti sports in canmore and ask them. they're way more knowledgeable than me for that area.

good luck!

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 09-23-2013, 08:56 PM

Thanks Flieguy! once I translate all those fly names you speak of I will be a bit more prepared!

Does that shop in canmore carry flies? I have an assortment of flies, but not too many. Instead of buying huge amounts of bugs, I just asked the pros at each fly shop to give me a few flies that would work for this time of year, I know I have blue winged olives, lost my san juan worm somewhere in lorette pond, a few minnow/ leech type flies, hoppers etc.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:21 PM

Wapiti sports is a great store - especially for fly fishing, they will have all the 'local' flies.

Grotto is better in a tube - the bottom is very soft, but you can wade a ways out. It is stocked with rainbows, and heavily fished (meaning the fish are mostly small and wary). But I like it, and you can fish the deep end from shore.

Try Quarry Pond in Canmore - a swimming hole, but the far end is good for Artic Grayling on nymphs, and dry flies if they are jumping. Catch and release only.

Right near Exshaw there is the Old Camp day use area, with the 'old camp channels' which I have fished quite a bit - spring fed from the Bow aquifer, but much more small-stream style fishing than the big bad Bow. You can wade across it no problem.

Neil at Wapiti also does float trips down the Bow, which would be worth it just for the info alone - like knowing the hot spots of the Upper Bow for the rest of you life! But sadly, TransAlta has started to release water from the Minnewanka floodway again, and completely messed up the Upper Bow turbidity (again).

The lower Kananaskis is pretty much a dead river - the constant fluctuations in water level from the dam have precluded good fish habitat for years. But the upper Kan, and the Spray area hold good spots and streams, and the scenery is fantastic.

And remember if you venture into the Banff, you need a separate National Park Fishing License - Alberta license does not apply.

And welcome to the forum!
Old 09-27-2013, 04:19 PM

A big thanks to you guys!

As suggested i went into wapiti sports, Brenda was there and she did what ive been looking for a fly shop to do for me, give me guidance and set me up.

She outfitted me with the proper leader and tied it to my line for me, gave me some pointers, and sold me a net and the local flies.

I havent caught anything yet, but my campsite is right on a small tributary (think thats what its called) of the bow.

Sinking leeches/ wollybuggers and darks coloured flies. Im having a blast even though i havent caught a thing. But I guess thats why they call it fishing and not catching!
Old 09-27-2013, 04:48 PM

Anyone got anything at Old Man spot anytime? I have been there several times and neither caught nor seen anything. Also I have seen other fishermen there whom got nothing as well.

This both in mainstream and branches.

Just seen a guided boat catching on opposide side of mainstream an in one spot only.
Old 09-29-2013, 08:28 AM

did you ever get any luck WW?

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 09-30-2013, 11:38 AM

I scored huge! I caught a 30' spruce tree and the way it was fighting i thought i had a 200' redwood!

I actually didnt catch a thing. I lost a lot of flies, tied on many tippets, but all in all had a blast.

My waders i learned very quickly i could not move well in as i guess over time the shrink a few inches round the waist, must be from sitting around all these years.

They local from Canmore who showed up and fished for a few hours each morning caught 4-5 trout on a spin caster with a buzz bomb. The wind became quite strong and i did have trouble getting any good distance out of my casts, and not only that, i was one the deep part of the river, so getting my bugger down to trout level was difficult.

Nonetheless l will return next year as this section closes tomorrow. I did see a few big trout rise early in the morning, but further across the river out of my casting range.

I just hit up fish tales and got a few replacement flies, and if weather permits (aka whether or not my wife permits) i will try my luck on the bow this weekend.

I did practice casting in our campsite, but had a harder time doing so at the river as there was not much room behind me. I learned to how important that back cast is, if i didnt stop the rod, my line and fly went everywhere.

I think the biggest thing was just getting out there and doing it, getting comfortable with different casting techniques, and stripping the line in. I even had my buddy watch as i practiced casting blindfolded. Didnt do too bad and actually started getting much more distance with the practice.

My wife's coworker fly fishes quite a bit, she has sent an email to him today to see if he would be willing to bring me out with him. My uncle recently sold his bear hunting camp in northern ON and retired. When he is out here in June/July i will take a guided tour at wapiti and see what im missing out on.

Again, a big thanks to the advice, i was blown away by the service i got at wapiti, and likewise again this am at fish tales.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:56 PM

I have fished the Bow right in Exshaw. If you go to the river right in town , it is right where the river narrows down. I have had good success there earlier in the spring. Should be good in the fall too.
I also go to highway 1X and park near the Bow river. Walk east(downstream) and you can get down right below the dam. If you climb down the rocks there is a deep pool that has given up some great browns and rainbows for me. You would have to walk there to see the area I am talking about. Pretty easy to find.
I have used hardware more than flies there but I am sure streamers would work this time of the year.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:42 PM

Ahhh, there you are Mr E! I don't generally get over into the fishing forums, but I knew you'd find some good advice and input from the members here.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Ahhh, there you are Mr E! I don't generally get over into the fishing forums, but I knew you'd find some good advice and input from the members here.
I did mr R! Good to finally see you round these parts. Had a successful day!
Old 10-13-2013, 01:14 PM

West you already have the most important part down pat.which is to enjoy the outdoors. the fish catching will certainly come around.