Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 10-05-2013, 09:30 PM

Default Awesome day of fishin!

Well, my buddy wasnt a liar, he said i would catch a fish, and i caught 4. Had many rises and takes throughout the day, i lost many due to not knowing how to set a hook with the fly rod. Trout are very different from bass.

Headed out and wet waded a creek south of Calgary. Covered about 5km of that creek fishing pools and looking at the flood damage. Took the third rise before i learned how to hold the fish on.

Had a great teacher, by the end of the day my drifts were spot on and my casts went where i wanted them to. Caught two rainbows 12" and 14", and two cutties 12" and 16", with the 16" being the last fish of the day.

Fished hoppers all day and was absolutely amazed that there were fish in the spots that they were. Within a few minute of instruction i was blown away with what i was doing, having a good instructor made the world of difference. Cant wait to get out there again.

~West
Old 10-05-2013, 10:55 PM

Awesome to hear!!! Was following your other thread patiently waiting for an update! So happy to hear you had a great day! Congrats, and welcome to a lifetime addiction!

Brett

PS. Where are the pictures!!?!?! Was hoping to see a big smile with a fish!
Old 10-06-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_magic_stick View Post
Awesome to hear!!! Was following your other thread patiently waiting for an update! So happy to hear you had a great day! Congrats, and welcome to a lifetime addiction!

Brett

PS. Where are the pictures!!?!?! Was hoping to see a big smile with a fish!
They are coming, i am awaiting an email. But here is where we finished and i caught the "big one" of the day.

Also got to try out a little 3 weight out. I was surprised how much different it was to cast a rod almost 2' shorter then mine with the lighter line. But what i did learn from it was to let the rod do the work.

Im still amazed at the progress I've made with casting, presentation, mending and hauling. I still have to work on it all, and i am ok with that. And a big thanks to my buddy for taking me to his secret little fishing hole. Next time maybe ill hook into a 20" bull in there.

Last edited by Wanderingwest; 10-06-2013 at 07:35 AM.