Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-16-2012, 03:03 PM

Question looking for a new river/stream to go flyfishing around calgary

Im looking for a small river or stream within 2 hours drive from Calgary something with loots of public access but not well known and id almost rather it be a spot that i have to hike to get to and one that few know about because i hate to fish in crowds. I know this is a lot to ask but Id love a new spot.

PM me any spots please
Thanks
TheKi

Last edited by TheKi; 08-16-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:07 PM

You realize the irony about a post looking for a relatively unknown spot close to city with a population of a million + on a public chat board, right?
Old 08-16-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
You realize the irony about a post looking for a relatively unknown spot close to city with a population of a million + on a public chat board, right?
im aware of it but you cant blame me for trying
Old 08-16-2012, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKi View Post
im aware of it but you cant blame me for trying
I'm just kidding with you, at least mostly!
Old 08-16-2012, 03:50 PM

you mean a very short drive from Calgary to catch rainbows like this? Gee I don't know I guess you need to explore a bit.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 08-16-2012, 03:56 PM

You're welcome!
Old 08-16-2012, 05:32 PM

Pick yourself up a set of Backroad Mapbooks. Theres info in the back on most of the lakes and rivers. Pick one you like, find a bridge crossing on the map, and off you go. Also, a nice starting point might be Barry Mitchelles; fishing the forestry trunk road.

Mabe you find a spot to catch browns like this;

Old 08-16-2012, 06:52 PM

Default Spirit of exploration

When I started out stream fishing in Alberta back in the early 80's, as an immigrant from NS, I didn't know anyone else who was interested, there was nothing like this forum (hell, we didn't have PC's), I really knew little about successful tactics, and the access to good maps was comparatively pathetic. Once I got out there it didn't take long to hook up with some like-minded people with some "secrets" and Mr. Mitchell's yearly mag was definitely my "bible". But it had no info at all on some of the places I eventually managed to find and access. Most of my fishing during those years was actually 80% "exploring" and, you know what, though some of it was quite futile in terms of catching fish (hell, I had whole days and weekends of "failure" on occasion), it was always rewarding in terms of adding to my catologue of amazing places and experiences, and, in the end to my knowledge of some uncrowded places which offered fantastic fishing experiences.
The foregoing advice from contributors is good. Be "versatile" in every aspect of the hunt, acquire the available info and maps (the cost is tiny compared to the value), and be very bold in finding ways to get to those remote stretches of good streams that will reward you with great fishing and, maybe more importantly, the incredible experience of being all alone in incredibly beautiful parts of the remaining wilderness. It demands some time and a lot of physical effort (I just can't "bushwack" at that level any more), but it was one of the best endeavours ever, and has provided me with a lot of irreplaceable memories.
If you think of camping as involving showers, microwaves, or even official toilets, or "campsites" for that matter, this approach is not for you. But if you get out the maps that are now available, give the possibilities a little thoughtful analysis, and are comitted enough to "bushwack and wade", you will be surprised what you find "out there".
Old 08-16-2012, 10:55 PM

Thanks for the tips, i guess ill be doing a lot of research and "exploring" but i know the reward will be more then worth it. I cant wait to once again be out making memories in the beautiful Alberta wilds