Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 05-21-2008, 10:43 PM

Default different broadheads

im just wondering what everyone here is shooting for broadheads, im shooting 100 gr wackems and they seem to shoot good so i guess ill wait till i arrow a bear for further judgement. Also is anyone shooting crimson talons? Thanks alot
Old 05-21-2008, 11:58 PM

I shoot Woody's Outback Supremes, 130 grain, they group beautifully and are incredibly tough and they are DEADLY......................

I've had Bull buffalo and Scrub Bulls on the ground dead in less than 60 seconds from one razor sharp Woody in the vitals.

http://users.ncable.net.au/~woody/

They are an Aussie 2 blade steel broadhead that requires sharpening, they can be difficult to sharpen till you get the nack but when you do man they are scary sharp.

Cheers Noel
Old 05-22-2008, 08:06 AM

Default crimsons talons

Me and a couple of people at the archery range have tried the crimsons but found that at 20yrds they are great but at 30 they seemed to plane out. Might just be that they can't work with the super fast bows. I now shoot the Wasp bullets 75gr. And they fly great tried about five differnt broadheads and found that they flew the best and were way more consistant. I suggest going to any archery range and see if you can try some broadhead and see what flies best out of your bow. every broadhead will fly differnt out of everyone's bow just see what flies best for you.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:29 AM

Resist the temptation to try another BH. Before long you'll have a dozen different brands....all flying differently (maybe or maybe not). Narrow it down to a couple different BH's at the most......otherwise you'll end up with a shelf full of BH's that you will never use. You already know that quality BH's aren't cheap. If you get a BH that works for you why would you want to switch? The answer to that question is: marketing strategies work! We are suckers for the newest badest anything. Hey, I know there have been a few advancements in BH's over the past 10 years....but nothing that guarantees (dohhhhhhhhhh they all make guarantees don't they) meat on the table. Stable flight and sharp blades...
Old 05-22-2008, 10:11 AM

i shoot 125 gr. Thunderheads. Toughest broadhead i have ever experimented with and they group very well for me.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:04 AM

Zwickey Black Diamond Deltas
Cat
Old 05-23-2008, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
Resist the temptation to try another BH. Before long you'll have a dozen different brands....all flying differently (maybe or maybe not). Narrow it down to a couple different BH's at the most......otherwise you'll end up with a shelf full of BH's that you will never use. You already know that quality BH's aren't cheap. If you get a BH that works for you why would you want to switch? The answer to that question is: marketing strategies work! We are suckers for the newest badest anything. Hey, I know there have been a few advancements in BH's over the past 10 years....but nothing that guarantees (dohhhhhhhhhh they all make guarantees don't they) meat on the table. Stable flight and sharp blades...

X2..... If what youhave is working don't change.... I have a drawer full of broadheads!....
Old 05-23-2008, 11:44 AM

I shoot 125gr G5 Montecs......and love em.

If I never shot these I would go back to 125gr Muzzy 3 blade.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:06 PM

i dont plan on changing them i was just wondering what else is working good for other people
Old 05-23-2008, 11:26 PM

Actually had both mechanical and fixed in my quiver this spring. I found that past 30 yrds, my Shuttle-T locks were not as accurate as I would have liked, and I'm no pro when it comes to tuning. Any shots farther than 30 yrds, I had my Spitfires for. As my bear hunt unfolded, I ended up using 2 of each. Neither Spitfire passed through, as both hit heavy bone. They did an insane amount of damage though, with one angled entry hole over 2 inches wide. I also shot two Shuttle-T's, both of which blew through like a hot knife through butter. Both of these hit ribs, but sailed right on through. One buried in the dirt, while I found the other about 50 ft further in the forest. The furthest shot was about 26 yrds. For those that missed my post, I shot the bear a bit high, quartering away, and it tore off through the bush. As it was dusk, I waited til morning. The bear still had some life in it when I found it, so I put 3 more arrows in it basically as fast as I could nock them. Not an optimum situation, but I guess thats hunting. As for broadhead perfomance, I think I may just stick with the Spitfires. They have held up quite well during my experiences with them.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:29 PM

Default broadheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett01 View Post
i shoot 125 gr. Thunderheads. Toughest broadhead i have ever experimented with and they group very well for me.
That is what I use and have had no trouble...moose, dear in the freezer!
Old 05-24-2008, 07:48 PM

100gr muzzy fly well for me and the tips seems to cut like a blade. Use to use thunderhead 125 , would recomend or use them again but 100gr thou...
both fair priced and tough imo...chain

Crimson Talon BH ? would you really want the helical blades spinning the front of the shaft too?? dunno
Old 05-25-2008, 07:48 AM

Tried Muzzies 100gr this spring.....happy with them. Have used shuttle T 100 grain and like them (pricie though), also have shot spitfires 100gr and while some don't like them, I have had them work flawlessly. Shot my whitie at 52 yards last fall in a very bad wind storm and put the arrow right where I was aiming. Used to use thunderheads 100gr and still have them as a back up. Have not had problems with them either. It's like some of the other posts on this thread, you can get carried away with trying new stuff when the broadheads that you are using work just fine.
Old 05-25-2008, 12:14 PM

A buddie of mine wanted me to try slick tricks 4 blade 100gr.He said everyone he knows is switching to them as they " Fly like feild points" i gave them a go.And they flew like sliders.Sometimes the never even hit the target.lol My old fathfull 3 blade wasp hammers(muzzy look alikes)Fly awsome from up to 100 yards.I spin test all arrows at buddies house to get the best of the best for hunting but can't get the slicks to shoot straight.It's getting me mad that i can't tune them like the wasps cuz there not as pricey as most and i can't find the wasps anywhere around g.p.Funny how they shoot good for a lot of guys but me.I think i'll order a plie of wasps off the web.lol
Old 05-25-2008, 09:46 PM

Default muzzy 3 blade 100 gr

Fantastic broadheads. I tried them three years ago when I switched to carbon arrows. Awesome flight all the way out to 60 yds. I was surprised how close they fly to my field tipped arrows as well. Excellent performance on animals as well, just ask the cow elk I blasted a muzzy through in 2006.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:44 PM

A guy testing broadheads on a 45 gal drum....chain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc-srIw3na0

Last edited by chain2; 05-27-2008 at 11:45 PM. Reason: sp