Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-03-2022, 12:46 PM

Default Cold/flu season hits with a huge bang!

Does anyone else out there know someone or maybe it’s you.. that feels like a semi truck ran over them - fever, aches, head cold, headache, mostly bedridden? (With a negative covid test?) my ex got hit so hard that I felt so bad I took the kids to their activities after work the other day when it wasn’t my parenting time so she could rest. And when I say I felt bad - I definitely genuinely did because I sacrificed opening day of hunting season so that she could rest and the kids could get where they needed to be! Not complaining, that’s being a parent but wondering if others are being hit hard and it not being covid? Is the new strain of colds/flus going around much worse? My ex doesn’t take days off and always sacrifices her own needs/health for the kids. She didn’t ask for help - she was just gonna do what needed to be done like always so I know it was bad when I took the initiative and offered to take the kids and she accepted. My kids says lots are absent at school due to illness. Anyone else under the weather to an extreme?
Old 11-03-2022, 12:50 PM

One of my boys got sent home Monday after vomiting in class. The other has been home since Tuesday with a head cold. Wife has headache and sniffles...i wont get sick if I don't plan a hunting trip. That's my method to fend it off anyway lol

Our little out of the way country school has a 70% absence rate this week with many of those being staff also.

Crazy outbreak all over from what I hear.
Old 11-03-2022, 12:50 PM

Yep the cold not Covid is all over Lloyd I had it for 10 days drug stores are sold out of cough medicine the wife still has it nasty bug to get rid of
Old 11-03-2022, 12:51 PM

My kids are going through this right now. The grandson got sick, tested positive for covid, a few days later the rest of their family got sick and none tested positive for covid. The grandson that had covid was getting better and then got floored today again with the rest of the family. All very achy, headache and fever.

Thomas Sowell
Old 11-03-2022, 01:08 PM

Nope.
Old 11-03-2022, 01:20 PM

Yup had the wife to the ER yesterday morning, it started Sunday night, tested her for covid twice and was negative, headache, cough, feeling like crap,turns out she has a chest infection, gave her some strong antibiotics and sent her home, she still feels crappy today. Tis the season

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-03-2022, 02:50 PM

Yup. My daughter brought it home from the high school she teaches at. I am just on the tail end of it after 5 days, as is the wife. Aches, fever and chills, negative Rona test. Mostly affected my sinuses. Ugh.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-03-2022, 03:00 PM

seems like a solid week for anyone that has had it... kids and adults
Old 11-03-2022, 03:01 PM

We all had a bit different version but daughter got hit the hardest. Cough, fever, aches, vomit, diarrhea. Their school got declared a outbreak today. Hit her so hard she didn't even care she didn't get to go trick or treating.
Old 11-03-2022, 04:41 PM

Yup, son came home from school last Friday and went to bed, didn’t get up until Sunday at noon. Turns out 13 kids in his class are out sick!

Then I got it, all the symptoms but no Rona, knocked me on my butt for a few days, so exhausted but couldn’t sleep. Coming out of it now.

Just now daughter was making supper and started coughing….. here we go again.
Old 11-03-2022, 05:24 PM

OK...Devil's Advocate here...Flame away, and if you do, all good...

Assuming all our kids get sick from a school bug...and they do... and bring it home...and the parents/siblings gets it...and it is not the dreaded "Covid"...did we all post this years ago? Probably not.

Why now?...Just saying...
Old 11-03-2022, 05:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post

Assuming all our kids get sick from a school bug...and they do... and bring it home...and the parents/siblings gets it...and it is not the dreaded "Covid"...did we all post this years ago? Probably not.

lol that is Covid effect.
Old 11-03-2022, 06:46 PM

Quote:

As I like to call it……a normal school year. 🤣
Old 11-03-2022, 06:50 PM

What is this covid or Rona??

Most just call it the flu or head cold.

Still a load of crap.
Old 11-03-2022, 07:19 PM

Quote:

Bingo,

In all honesty I would have gone to work 3 years ago and just lived on coffee.
Old 11-03-2022, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
Bingo,

In all honesty I would have gone to work 3 years ago and just lived on coffee.
Absolutely! I’m all for staying home for a couple days to avoid spreading it around, but now I have to be completely symptom free before returning. I’ve had a cough for the last 10 years! 🤣 And the abusers really work the system now. We have guys that have had as many sick days as they have work days. And no one can say a word. They know how to play the game.
Old 11-03-2022, 08:55 PM

I had to take my wife to the hospital a while back because she caught something really bad as well and usually almost never gets sick. Every time one of the kids brought something home from school, we’d all get it except my wife.

They didn’t check for exactly what she had but did rule out Covid. The doctor there told us there’s 5 other seasonal viruses making their rounds and they’re hitting people way harder now as we basically spent 2 years hiding, sanitizing everything, and not keeping up our natural immunity against these common viruses through the usual exposure. The populations immunity against these common viruses is way down as a whole as a result and it makes for one heck of a cold and flu season.
Old 11-03-2022, 09:06 PM

The hardest thing about getting the flu/ cold now, that we all would have worked through 3 years is dealing with all the judgements, questionable looks from coworkers and peers when being out of the house. I find navigating a post Covid much hard then it was actually having Covid. ( I don’t mean any disrespect to those that have lost loved one from it, my condolences go out to you)
Old 11-03-2022, 10:49 PM

My son brought it home last week. I've been down most of this week. My wife works in a school, and they are down 400 students.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 11-04-2022, 08:16 AM

I stay in alot of work camps i get my flu shot every year i have friends that bug me about getting it but im at work and 3 at this moment are in bed sick lol
Old 11-04-2022, 08:41 AM

Yep, schools in Calgary are taking a beating. But I guess that's what happens when you "lockdown" for 2 years..

Sick days are for when you aren't able to perform close to your normal duties, ie too tired, sick, etc.
Old 11-04-2022, 08:46 AM

50 years old, haven’t had a flu or cold in over three years. Never got Covid and worked with the public throughout that scam. As a 50 year old that knows a thing or two about fitness and health, get your testosterone levels at an optimum level and workout daily. Both are the best immune builders going next to a decent nutrition plan…
Old 11-04-2022, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
50 years old, haven’t had a flu or cold in over three years. Never got Covid and worked with the public throughout that scam. As a 50 year old that knows a thing or two about fitness and health, get your testosterone levels at an optimum level and workout daily. Both are the best immune builders going next to a decent nutrition plan…
I'm in the same situation except I'm 62 pretty healthy and work out every day haven't been sick or had covid in 3 years

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-04-2022, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
I'm in the same situation except I'm 62 pretty healthy and work out every day haven't been sick or had covid in 3 years

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Most excellent!!!
Old 11-04-2022, 09:20 AM

So the buzz these days is around whether the lockdowns put the population in an "Immunity Debt", hence the flood of illnesses.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...-immunity-debt
Old 11-04-2022, 10:17 AM

Quote:
I am 62, I haven’t had a flu in over 10 years, or anything more than the sniffles for many years. I also believe that lifestyle plays a large part in how often a person gets ill.
Old 11-04-2022, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Add some vitamin D as well, I take daily dose of 2500mg plus vit C at 500mg. If I feel under the weather, the dose of D doubles to 5000 and Vit C gets a boost to 1000mg a day too and add some Zinc to it.
Here in a North we have a major deficit of vit D which is absolutely essential for the immune system. The problem is you can’t just take it when you feel sick, it take time to accumulate.
Old 11-04-2022, 10:35 AM

Last time I got the FLU I was sicker than a dog. That was maybe 15 yrs ago.

Ever since I have always got the flu shot. Had one when they came out a few weeks ago. Know a few who have the flu now and they say it is the worst yet.

Way too old to get it now. Would most likely put me down for weeks. I'd much rather start planning my ice fishn ventures.
Old 11-04-2022, 10:57 AM

Not to sure what I have/had but over the last 5-6 weeks I have had chest congestion and a cough, it’s not so bad that I would consider myself sick to miss work but it is bothersome and can interfere with my sleep. Wife and kids have all have/had something similar and it’s strange, never seems to leave completely but the severity it in waves.
Old 11-04-2022, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I am 62, I haven’t had a flu in over 10 years, or anything more than the sniffles for many years. I also believe that lifestyle plays a large part in how often a person gets ill.
Agreed !!