Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-18-2018, 04:14 PM
AO Sponsor

Default Any watch fans here? Post up those pics!

Hey all,

I am a collector of many different things and over the last couple years I have started with watches as well. I don't have anything super crazy, but today I picked up my first COSC Swiss certified Chronometer in the Mido Ocean Start 600. This watch is probably one of the best values in a certified Chronometer movement with an 80hr power reserve. As a matter of fact, doing a bit of research I was a bit surprised to learn that Mido produces the 4th largest amount of COSC chronograph certified watches with only Rolex, Omega and Breitling producing more. At 43.5mm it is not too large or small. It is a serious diver with a helium valve and is rated to 600 meters. I wish I could get a better picture as the colour and finish is fantastic! Ryan at Bezel House here in YYC is awesome to deal with. I would not hesitate contacting him for anything Mido, Seiko or Lum-Tec, as well as having some sweet consignment pieces cross is path...

Anyways, here is a picture of my new watch... Please post up your own!

Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 12-18-2018, 04:26 PM

Bob?! Scotch and watches? Soul Brother!!

Got a few Swiss auto, a beauty Rado true Thinline...the two I wear the most are a Bulova Accutron, and a Dreyfuss 1925 Open Heart...(that's actually my favorite)....wearing it now. The Rado is all ceramic and titanium, very slim and light. Love it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181126_191938.jpg (39.9 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181218_163005.jpg (44.8 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181218_163027.jpg (45.4 KB, 99 views)

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 12-18-2018 at 04:32 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:34 PM
Banned

I consider my Baume & Mercier a foundation stone for my collection! I guess it is the collection at the moment!

Bah, Vaseline on the camera lens again!
Old 12-18-2018, 04:34 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Bob?! Scotch and watches? Soul Brother!!

Got a few Swiss auto, a beauty Rado true Thinline...the two I wear the most are a Bulova Accutron, and a Dreyfuss 1925 Open Heart...(that's actually my favorite)....wearing it now.
Haha! I you say you collect knives, antique woodworking tools and antique decks of playing cards, we may need to compare birth certificates! lol!

I have a few microbrand watches with swiss movements from Lum-Tec as well as Torgoen. Japanese I always love a good Seiko as well.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 12-18-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Haha! I you say you collect knives, antique woodworking tools and antique decks of playing cards, we may need to compare birth certificates! lol!

I have a few microbrand watches with swiss movements from Lum-Tec as well as Torgoen. Japanese I always love a good Seiko as well.
That's a bit frightening. I do collect knives, not so much cards though I am an avid Cribbage player....I have a few Seiko in the collection as well, but have passed a few on to my son. Watches are beautiful, not unlike fine Colt and S&W revolvers.

And there is another Whisky guy posting up, grouse hunter! I'm seeing a trend here!
That Baume and Mercier is beautiful GH! I have been lusting after one for a while, as well as a classic Hamilton.

Where do you tend to buy from? I have had tremendous deals from Ashford.com, especially on boxing day/black friday. Bought all my kids nice watches, Bulova, Movado, CK.....it's a great place to find really fine time pieces at great prices. I usually end up spending money on a couple pieces a year there....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-18-2018, 04:43 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse_hunter View Post
I consider my Baume & Mercier a foundation stone for my collection! I guess it is the collection at the moment!

Bah, Vaseline on the camera lens again!
Nothing wrong with a B&M!

Here are a couple of my Lum-Tec's.

This one is a 43mm diameter with a simple quartz movement but makes a fantastic daily beater! The model is the B38 GMT

This one is a Swiss movement Automatic at 47mm diameter. The model is the Lum-Tec 600 M2

Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 12-18-2018, 04:46 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:

Where do you tend to buy from? I have had tremendous deals from Ashford.com, especially on boxing day/black friday. Bought all my kids nice watches, Bulova, Movado, CK.....it's a great place to find really fine time pieces at great prices. I usually end up spending money on a couple pieces a year there....
Check out www.bezelhouse.com. The owner Ryan is a buddy and happens to be a super awesome, reliable guy in business as well. He specializes in Mido, Seiko, Lum-Tec and some others as well. He also has some really nice consignment pieces come through. He always has some great deals on the site, but if you do ever want to buy something off of him, give me a heads up. He always hooks up my friends with extra deals, even on new, full price pieces.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 12-18-2018, 04:48 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
That's a bit frightening. I do collect knives, not so much cards though I am an avid Cribbage player....I have a few Seiko in the collection as well, but have passed a few on to my son. Watches are beautiful, not unlike fine Colt and S&W revolvers.

And there is another Whisky guy posting up, grouse hunter! I'm seeing a trend here!
That Baume and Mercier is beautiful GH! I have been lusting after one for a while, as well as a classic Hamilton.

Scotch and crib... Two of my favourite things! Something tells me if we sat down with a good scotch selection and a crib board, we may not be moving our arses off those chairs until Easter! lol!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 12-18-2018, 04:50 PM

I will check it out, thanks Bob! A few other assorted Seiko and Bulova watches I have (a couple my son has now)...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181218_164719.jpg (48.4 KB, 71 views)

Old 12-18-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Scotch and crib... Two of my favourite things! Something tells me if we sat down with a good scotch selection and a crib board, we may not be moving our arses off those chairs until Easter! lol!
Seems like we may need to meet here and play a penny a point...or a dram a point. Whatever.

Old 12-18-2018, 04:54 PM

Now I am also curious. I have a couple of Swiss Automatics, and got an auto winding storage display case for them since they can have issues if they aren't constantly wound/worn. Anyone else bother to get one?

Old 12-18-2018, 05:03 PM

Im all about things my age. Purchased this fine time piece recently, waiting for its arrival!!

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2018, 05:07 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Seems like we may need to meet here and play a penny a point...or a dram a point. Whatever.
Always in for a money game! My grandfather who taught me used to make me play for a buck a game even when I was a little kid. He wouldn't admit it but I am sure he was just padding my allowance a bit! lol!

Quote:
Now I am also curious. I have a couple of Swiss Automatics, and got an auto winding storage display case for them since they can have issues if they aren't constantly wound/worn. Anyone else bother to get one?
I currently do not have a watch winder but I am planning on getting one. My newer automatics I just try and give them a bit of a wind at least every month if I am not wearing them. I have two that sat in a box for the better part of a decade and now they will need to be serviced as they do not seem to want to get going. I think they just need a good cleaning and lubrication.

On a side note, something I learned from a watch maker is to never set the date of your automatic matches (if so equipped) with the time showing between 9:00 and 1:00 (am or pm). It has to do with the gear positioning. Basically it will mess up the date gear. If you need to change the date always wind the time outside of that 4 hour window then change the date. Crazy!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 12-18-2018, 05:10 PM

Rolex...niiiiice! On my list with Breitling. Someday.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:13 PM
Banned

Thank you TC and Tirebob. The B&M is quite the little piece of art. I do have a daily wear watch that I don't use. It's an automatic Swiss watch. Even comes with one ruby!

That's a good looking Rolex, Mooseknuckle. Some of their designs are a bit too garish for my liking; the watch that you purchased projects luxury in a subtle fashion.

Now lets see it on your wrist or it didn't happen!
Old 12-18-2018, 05:17 PM

Those watches don’t look like they do much. I used to have watch with a built in calculator. Figure it was stolen from me.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:21 PM

For those who may not be familiar with Dreyfuss...they have been around for quite a while. Not as well known as some Swiss brands, but a really high quality and value for the price.

https://www.dreyfussandco.com/

Old 12-18-2018, 05:23 PM

I have a citizen eco drive, no more batteries, keeps on ticking
Old 12-18-2018, 05:29 PM

Like my Hamilton automatic. Not as much prestige as when the movements were made in America, but the Swiss movements are likely better. 60 hours reserve. Just bought a new, crocodile strap on eBay out of Vietnam. $25 instead of the $140 Hamilton wanted for a simulated strap. List was 2k but I got it for 1.2k when I asked them their best price keeping on line pricing in mind. Only loses a couple of minutes a month.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg watch1.jpg (67.4 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg watch2.jpg (69.7 KB, 51 views)
Old 12-18-2018, 05:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
Like my Hamilton automatic. Not as much prestige as when the movements were made in America, but the Swiss movements are likely better. 60 hours reserve. Just bought a new, crocodile strap on eBay out of Vietnam. $25 instead of the $140 Hamilton wanted for a simulated strap. List was 2k but I got it for 1.2k when I asked them their best price keeping on line pricing in mind. Only loses a couple of minutes a month.
That's a beaut! I too rock a croc strap.

Tirebob I forgot to mention that I really like the contemporary design of your Lum-tecs. The blue one is gorgeous!
Old 12-18-2018, 05:31 PM

Not a big watch guy but I picked this up a while ago.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:38 PM

My two go to’s are:
My Breitling for occasional wear and my every day/oil change/hunting watch is a model 1603 Rolex with 1570 movement

Both were gifts. Otherwise id be wearing my G-Shok Casio
Old 12-18-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
My two go to’s are:
My Breitling for occasional wear and my every day/oil change/hunting watch is a model 1603 Rolex with 1570 movement

Both were gifts. Otherwise id be wearing my G-Shok Casio
You got Class. (well, whoever gifted you those fine time pieces has class. Casio..meh. )..truly! Very nice.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck;
Now I am also curious.
(Tirebob) Ok you two lovebirds.

Ya'll should hook up or at least take this to the PM world....being a family site and all
Old 12-18-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
Ok you two lovebirds.

Ya'll should hook up or at least take this to the PM world....being a family site and all
Ewwwwww.....you have nasty thoughts!

Old 12-18-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Ewwwwww.....you have nasty thoughts!
It's all good.......but I'm just here for the watches

Great thread.......Flames in 30 min!!!!!!!

Old 12-18-2018, 06:01 PM
Banned

My dad who passed in 2005 wore a Rolex Air-King for the last 20 years of his life. When he was in palliative care he gave me the watch and asked that it be engraved to his grandson (5 years old at the time) and given to him when he graduated high school.
At the time I had a Rolex Datejust, so I decided to engrave that to our 3 year old son and he would get that at his graduation.
Both have been in my safe deposit box at the bank since then and the oldest boy graduates next year.
So $20000 worth of Rolex watches in the family and I wear either a Seiko 5...a nice automatic watch worth $100 or a Marathon General Purpose field watch worth a couple hundred.
As an aside Marathon watches are the issued watch for many NATO militaries and, including the US and Canadian Army...and they are a Canadian company.
https://www.marathonwatch.com/
Now don't get me going on fountain pens
Old 12-18-2018, 06:22 PM
Banned

I will get a picture to share and as far as the actual watch goes, what my daughter has isn't valuable. But whats on the inside sure is cool.

As some of you know, we lost our house to a fire a decade or so ago. As away to distract us we headed to Disneyland that Christmas. My daughter being about 8 was so very upset she lost some precious things. We told her she shouldn't necessarily replace those precious things but we would look for a few new precious things.

We hit Disneyland and the idea dawns on me that a Micky Mouse watch would be cool. Inside the store we go and she meets a artist named Trevor. Trevor heard our story and cleared his afternoon. Sydney and him sat down and designed a whole new watch that also included a never before drawn Mickey. This was such a big deal that it took months and months to get clearance from Disney for the "New" Mickey. A year later we made plans to go down and get the watch. It's beautiful and she holds the Number one of a new artwork of Mickey. It's still her favourite "Precious" thing and perhaps the only thing she has kept as she is now away at University in Victoria. Life long mementoes come in various forms.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:28 PM

Very cool story Jamie! Thanks for sharing that.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:32 PM

Not a big watch guy but next year for my work anniversary I get a choice of 20 different rolex’s And other premium brands so maybe I’ll become a watch guy after haha!

Been leaning towards the Rolex submariner as they seem to be popular.