Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-18-2018, 07:00 AM

Default Most productive time of day for whitefish?

Wondering what part of the day people would say is when the whitefish bite is generally on.
Old 12-18-2018, 10:00 AM

First light till 11

3pm till sunset
Old 12-18-2018, 12:30 PM

When they move in shallow in the morning and evening to feed. I don’t know why. And I’d like to know why (the science behind it). I’ve experienced in the shallows first light until 10am at the latest at sylvan lake. I’ve seen them active at other times in NB2 lakes. I think there are exceptions, and obviously if you can find them in deeper water during the middle of the day, a rattlebait would get them horned up and biting. Anyone target them in the midday?
Old 12-18-2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
When they move in shallow in the morning and evening to feed. I don’t know why. And I’d like to know why (the science behind it). I’ve experienced in the shallows first light until 10am at the latest at sylvan lake. I’ve seen them active at other times in NB2 lakes. I think there are exceptions, and obviously if you can find them in deeper water during the middle of the day, a rattlebait would get them horned up and biting. Anyone target them in the midday?

I’ve had luck at gull and sylvan mid day. I use a large gold cicaida (sp?) spoon. Bounce bottom and flutter it aggressively for like 10 minutes changing up from bottom - mid water colum. (20ft or more deep) then change out to a small pink hali jig but I remove the chain because the whites would always bite above the hook and I have pretty good luck.

I use the same method first thing as I drill a hole as well but normally just change out to a WW or instead of the cicaida I use a large wetaskiwin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-18-2018, 05:57 PM

By far morning till 11am like some already said... too bad we can’t Speer the buggers it would be an all day affair then...
Old 12-19-2018, 09:40 AM

X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweb View Post
First light till 11

3pm till sunset
Old 12-19-2018, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassett View Post
I’ve had luck at gull and sylvan mid day. I use a large gold cicaida (sp?) spoon. Bounce bottom and flutter it aggressively for like 10 minutes changing up from bottom - mid water colum. (20ft or more deep) then change out to a small pink hali jig but I remove the chain because the whites would always bite above the hook and I have pretty good luck.

I use the same method first thing as I drill a hole as well but normally just change out to a WW or instead of the cicaida I use a large wetaskiwin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the advice. I’m heading out to pinehurst to see if I can find em. I’ll definitely use your tips. Thank you!
Old 12-28-2018, 02:45 PM

First hour of light is usually good but I catch off and on all day long usually just depends when schools are moving through the area.