Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-20-2018, 09:48 AM

Default Badger hunting

Anyone have any tactics or tips for badgers. Not a lot of info out there other than they eat gophers have the best fir in the winter may be nocturnal and look for fresh diggings ontop of the snow. I’ve got access do a large amount of land by rockyford and am looking for a rug.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:55 AM

Find an area with as many gophers as possible (though this might be tough at this time of year) and spend a lot of time driving and glassing for them. From what i understand, They’re mostly nocturnal, but at this time of year, i find they spend more time above ground looking for those last few gophers that are still active. Concentrate on the warmer days - when it’s cold, they’ll stay in a state of semi-hibernation - apparently lasting a couple of days. Try to avoid cultivated farmland and concentrate on the largest area of unbroken prairie pasture as you can.
I know you mentioned that you’re looking for a rug, but if you don’t have any luck on your own, google “mighty Bull Taxidermy”. He’s got a life sized mount from a badger that a guy brought in, but never picked up. He’s offered to sell it to me a couple of times, but im not really interested.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:59 AM

Not true hibernators or but they will nap for a couple weeks a at a time.
They are late to prime up too and you will see shorter hair even in mid Dec.
Trapping is your best bet so watch for dirt mounds on the snow.
Finding them out in the winter to shoot will be a challenge.
I have heard of the odd one responding to a call but I have never experienced that.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:05 AM

We saw one down in WMU 108 last week while mulie hunting. He had a hole in the middle of a cattle pasture, judging by the amount of black dirt on the white snow, he'd been busy.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:11 AM

I have been invaded by a family of diggers this year, unbelievable the damage this family is causing my hay fields. They dig shallow holes for roots, grubs and such and will dig out gophers.

I have tries all times of the day to find the little buggers, not working well and wish there was an easy solution to removing the problem.
Old 11-20-2018, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
Anyone have any tactics or tips for badgers. Not a lot of info out there other than they eat gophers have the best fir in the winter may be nocturnal and look for fresh diggings ontop of the snow. I’ve got access do a large amount of land by rockyford and am looking for a rug.
well in case you feel energetic and all
Try this link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj5eFT3OmFw
Look forward to your results .
Rob
Old 11-20-2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .257Weatherby View Post
well in case you feel energetic and all
Try this link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj5eFT3OmFw
Look forward to your results .
Rob
Good thing it was a young one...you could lose an arm otherwise
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 11-21-2018, 07:20 PM

Default They sure make a mess of the fields.

While I have never specifically targeted badgers, I have managed to harvest a few over the years for the land owners that I know. Here are a couple things that may help:
Badger sightings have been mostly mid-afternoon to dusk; only 1 was an early morning sighting.
Their eyesight is mediocre, they see movement more than shape, sit still and move slow when close by.
Their hearing is off the charts good; human voices, even a whisper at long range is too loud. Even thinking hard can be too loud. Use hand signals if you have a partner along.
They are less bothered by machinery noise and motion than unidentified organic motion, use this to your advantage. Works best with 2 people, just make sure your partner doesn't move the mobile blind faster than you can keep up.
IME If they are alarmed and dive for the hole, chances are you won't see them anytime soon. If they do the head bob and then duck down, waiting quietly (10 to 90 minutes) will usually generate results, provided you don't think too loud.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 11-21-2018, 09:25 PM

I have had a few (female)? badgers come out when I am gopher shooting they are hard pressed to pass up a free meal.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.