Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-25-2017, 09:29 PM

Default Opinion on electronic scales

I have used a Hornady manual scale in the last 20 years with good success. Most of the rigs I have worked on have been hunting rifles. As I have gotten older, I have developed an interest in target calibers and just build a 6 Dasher.

Was wondering what everyone thinks of electronic scales vs manual scales.

What would be the most reliable electronic scale that stays true? Looking for simple small ones not RCBS chargemaster scale.

Yours in good hunt'n and shoot'n,

CH
Old 05-25-2017, 09:40 PM

I only trust the balance beam. My electronic bathroom scale has been lying to me for years.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:55 PM

Default Old Lyman LE1000

Best investment for me. Bought it 20 years ago for $ 325. Love it.
Easy to check and to calibrate.

Has to be turned on 15 minutes before use though. Like it needs to warm up to work well.

I would buy another one if this one every dies.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:55 PM

My friend has a RCBS Chargemaster powder measure an reloading scale and thinks its a game changer! When he loads out for his 9mm he will check every 20th round on his old scale to make sure that everything is still on the right numbers and than when he rifle loads he will check his 10th instead but he has cut the reloading time in hafe or more at times!
Old 05-25-2017, 10:06 PM

My Chargemaster has proven to be quite reliable. I trust it as much as I trusted my 10-10 balance beam.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:30 PM

Been using a Chargemaster for years and never had an issue. Would never go back to a balance beam.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:28 AM

Chargemasters really are great units, to the extent that many people simply get rid of their balance beams. I love mine. So, I would heartily recommend the RCBS unit that is 1/2 of the chargemaster...

http://www.cabelas.ca/product/78831/...ectronic-scale
Old 05-26-2017, 08:08 AM

I prefer a balance beam scale because;
No warming up
No calibration except to check once in a while
If you don't pay attention the E scale might not go back to zero and you don't know how many loads you did before it happened. start over
When trickling on to the pan the E scale is slower to react easy to go over.
A balance beam can be set for a desired weight as apposed to watching the numbers go up to your weight. This can be confusing when setting up a ladder test.
Spending $500 on a chargemaster to save time? What would I do with all that time?
Old 05-26-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
I prefer a balance beam scale because;
No warming up
No calibration except to check once in a while
If you don't pay attention the E scale might not go back to zero and you don't know how many loads you did before it happened. start over
When trickling on to the pan the E scale is slower to react easy to go over.
A balance beam can be set for a desired weight as apposed to watching the numbers go up to your weight. This can be confusing when setting up a ladder test.
Spending $500 on a chargemaster to save time? What would I do with all that time?
The electronic scales offer the benefit of verifying both the zero and calibration after every single charge. You just look at the reading every time you lift the pan off to pour a charge, and as long as the number stays the same, you know the calibration and zero haven't changed. It takes no extra time to look at the scale as you lift the pan off of the scale.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:35 AM

That's on a charge master the scale by itself can't be set for a certain weight
Old 05-26-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
That's on a charge master the scale by itself can't be set for a certain weight
Every time you lift the pan off of the scale, you will see a negative weight displayed. That is essentially the weight of the pan. As long as that doesn't change, the zero and the calibration are good. That works for every electronic scale that I have used.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Every time you lift the pan off of the scale, you will see a negative weight displayed. That is essentially the weight of the pan. As long as that doesn't change, the zero and the calibration are good. That works for every electronic scale that I have used.
I have 5 or 6 electronic scales in my kitchen at school. All of them work this way, so my experience has been the same.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
If you set the tare when the pan is on the scale will read zero if the scale goes out of calibration (It will) while your doing 50 loads the scale will read a + or- value if don't notice it until a few rounds later dump the works and start over.

I sold the scale and went back to the same thing that's been working for 40 years some things can't be improved on.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
If you set the tare when the pan is on the scale will read zero if the scale goes out of calibration (It will) while your doing 50 loads the scale will read a + or- value if don't notice it until a few rounds later dump the works and start over.

I sold the scale and went back to the same thing that's been working for 40 years some things can't be improved on.
If your electronic scale is going out of calibration,then you either have a sub standard electronic scale, or your bench isn't solid, or you have issues with drafts or lighting. I ofen load 100 rounds without having my scale drift out of calibration.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:15 AM

I have had an Le1000 for about 25+ years, used it in conjunction with a Hornady beam scale, predominantly to weigh bullets.Then I got a chargemaster because I felt like splurging on one. They are nice to use, not necessarily any quicker, but, they work well. I still check it against the beam scale to see whether it is delivering what it says it is, never hurts to do that. But, like Elk said, check it when you pull the pan off and put it back on, keep an eye on that, if it changes, re-zero it and check it on the beam balance, and continue on.
For small batches I still use the beam balance and Lee spoons. I know what size throws about how much and then trickle out of the little one. Amazing how quick that can be done. And occasionally I'll still use the powder thrower and the beam scale together, depending on the powder type.
An electronic scale is nice to use, I just believe in never completely trusting it, and having a means of verifying if you have any doubt.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:37 PM
Banned

GemPro 250 or 300...

I'll never go back to a balance-beam.

Old 05-26-2017, 07:09 PM

Have been using an RCBS electronic for 20 years. Would never think of going back to a balance beam scale.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:03 PM

PR has on sale and with no tax and free shipping right now

http://store.prophetriver.com/rcbs-chargemaster-combo/
Old 05-26-2017, 10:11 PM

Just bought a Gempro 250. Way way better than using a beam scale.
Old 05-27-2017, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 1 View Post
Just bought a Gempro 250. Way way better than using a beam scale.
Totally agree.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:35 AM

I have a Hornady GS-1500 and it seems to work ok but it seldom comes out of the reloading bench drawer. Instead, my 35 year old RCBS 5-10 balance beam does all the heavy lifting just due to it's simplicity, accuracy and reliability. I check the accuracy of it once in a while but it's one piece of equipment where I never have to worry if it's lying to me. I've grown fond of my fingers....
Old 05-27-2017, 08:13 AM

Yesterday shot two (5 shot) strings (each a different charge weight) from a 30 Dasher with a spread of less than 10fps on one, and less than 5fps on the other. Also, one string from a 30 X 47 that was less than 20fps. All charged with my Lyman DPS 1200. Chronied by a chap with a LabRadar. I do keep an eye on the readout to add or remove a few kernels if the display is flickering. Frankly, I was surprised because I always thought my 10 - 10 beam is more accurate....maybe not?
Old 05-27-2017, 09:06 AM

I am not a big fan of the cheap digital scales and never had any luck with them. Some of them drift but the bigger problem is they simply don't measure as accurately as my beam. With my beam I can see one or two kernels some of those cheap digitalis you got to add 10 kernels before the display will show a change. I've seen a grain or 2 variance just by how you add powder to the scale fast or slow.

Bottom line don't go cheap on a digital and always keep your beam around to double check.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
If your electronic scale is going out of calibration,then you either have a sub standard electronic scale, or your bench isn't solid, or you have issues with drafts or lighting. I ofen load 100 rounds without having my scale drift out of calibration.
My balance never does
Old 05-28-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
My balance never does
I had a 505 balance scale that did drift, the zero adjustment screw would rotate in use. I finally discovered the issue by marking the white disc on the adjustment screw.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:01 PM
Banned

My Chargemaster has never failed me. My powder pan after calibration weights exactly 141.4 grains every time. I have it set up on a stable and solid platform, no air flow and warm it up before using it. I do keep my balance beam scale to ensure that it never lies to me. Yes, every once in a while it overthrows a charge. In spite of that, it's still far faster than a beam scale.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:14 PM

My chargemaster hopper system crapped the bed so I bought a hornady to replace it. The chargemaster scale I still use and use it against the hornady in conjunction with the test weights and they read the same. I do understand the concern if one only had a digital scale and no weighs or manual scale. That being said I acquired an old 10-10 and its out to lunch. I will have to look at that more closely as its way out.
Old 05-28-2017, 09:27 PM

I have owned a couple of digitals over the years, but prefer a beam scale and throwing my charges for shooting anything out to 500 meters.
Cat
Old 05-30-2017, 05:30 PM

Default Chargemaster

I have ran the chargemaster system for 6 years now. I love it, especially after doing the upgrades so that it throws faster. (Macdonald's straw truck & programming tips on YouTube)
I have a gem pro and weigh every 10th round or so for consistency but as stated before. I turn it on well before I use it, have it good and level, little to no air movement in the area and I calibrate every time I turn it on. You'd be welcome to come check mine out sometime CH. I'm in haysboro now.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:04 PM

Default lee powder scale

So I know these scales seem cheap. This is part of the reason I got a gempro. Long story short, I have to pull about 150 bullets- all loaded with the lee beam scale. 61gr IMR4831. I just pulled 10 bullets and measured them on my gempro. To my surprise. Qty 4 were 61.02, 2 were exactly 61.00, 2 were 59.98, other 2 were 61.08.
I know I wasn't expecting that.