Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-18-2017, 10:19 PM

Default Raised Scope on a .22LR

Hello fellow enthusiasts!

I just got my first rifle. Its a Savage Mark II G .22 LR

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIG

I thought it would be a great starter rifle, also great for teaching the wife and kids how to properly handle a bolt action.

I would love to be able to raise a scope so that I could still use the open sights and the optics at the same time. I have my eye on a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/n...e-bdc-150.html

I've done a bit of research and before I start looking into seriously considering which see through mounts I'd start with, I'd like to ask the forum if anyone has had any experience with this objective.

Any information would be appreciated.

Ruben A.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:24 PM

Don't do it!
Old 05-18-2017, 10:36 PM

Default I want to hear this side of the discussion.

I've floated this idea to a few of my friends and I'm open to hearing your reasoning behind your thoughts.

Ive heard to just commit to one or the other and that raising it too high takes it out of your natural sighting plane.

Im all ears.

Ruben A.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:18 PM

If you really want to have that setup just get it this is an entry rifle not a custom job. I my self haven't had a lot of luck with the jack of all trades mounts there just average at everything and prone to failure over time.You could just buy standard mounts remove the scope and shoot irons then just remount and zero when ever you want, 22lr is cheap and you would get the best of both worlds.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:28 AM

Use a 4 power scope and its good for close shots as well as longer. Those look through mounts are a pain...
Old 05-19-2017, 07:35 AM

See through mounts are a bad idea for two reasons, the first being that with the scope mounted so high, you can't obtain a proper cheek weld on the stock. The second reason is that see through mounts are either very flimsy, and they don't hold zero, or they are very heavy.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:35 PM

Nothing better for ruining shooting form and building bad habits, like sticking a scope way higher than it has any right to be.

Don't do it OP!

Put a 1-4 variable on it if you must.

There are no absolutes
Old 05-19-2017, 01:44 PM

As long as your 22 has the grooves for mounting the scope it is very easy to mark where it is and remove and remount the scope. It will be very close to seas on if you are careful. Second option it to use tip off mounts. Only remaining makers of them I know of are Weaver. Sort of the best of both worlds without having the scope way up in the air where it is hard to use.

http://www.weaveroptics.com/rings_ba...ip_off_mounts/
Old 05-19-2017, 03:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
See through mounts are a bad idea for two reasons, the first being that with the scope mounted so high, you can't obtain a proper cheek weld on the stock. The second reason is that see through mounts are either very flimsy, and they don't hold zero, or they are very heavy.
Yes, and the 3rd reason if I may say so is that they are UGLY.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidRuben View Post
Hello fellow enthusiasts!

I just got my first rifle. Its a Savage Mark II G .22 LR

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIG

I thought it would be a great starter rifle, also great for teaching the wife and kids how to properly handle a bolt action.

I would love to be able to raise a scope so that I could still use the open sights and the optics at the same time. I have my eye on a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/n...e-bdc-150.html

I've done a bit of research and before I start looking into seriously considering which see through mounts I'd start with, I'd like to ask the forum if anyone has had any experience with this objective.

Any information would be appreciated.

Ruben A.
You may think it the best of both worlds but it is the worst of both worlds. This device was created in a time long past when there were many that did not trust scopes and only trusted iron. There were also those who wanted to be prepared for an accidental breaking. That was good thinking if you depended on meat for the pot and your nine kids would starve if you broke your glass sight.

If I ever broke my scope I would cry and go home and later take the family to A and W.

I love scopes and I love iron. I have both.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:53 AM

Had weaver see through rings on my bdl not sure what they have for 22. They were sturdy and worked well. I had double extension rings to get the scope closer and they looked so ridiculous on a slant i couldnt stand it and removed them. You may be able to shoot comfortably with them i would try it for experience on both iron and optical why not.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:43 PM

Default Thanks for the input.

I wanted to say thank you to all those who read this article and all those who put in their thoughts. You all have good opinions and most of all your opinions are the parallel.

Im going to put a rimfire scope on my .22 and then buy a separate .22 for the open sights.

I think we can all agree, we'd all be happy to continue to build a collection so thats what I'll do.

Thanks everyone
Old 10-10-2017, 08:56 PM

I was looking at a nikon p-rimfire scope for my gfs ruger 10-22 from what I see it is pretty decent.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:03 PM

I put a Nikon p-rimfire scope on the Ruger 10/22 a few months ago on low Burris rings and have never looked back. I have not shot a .22 in years prior and I did alright with the sights when I got the rifle. Once I threw the scope on, I can't say I cared about the sights any longer.
As for the P-Rimfire scope by Nikon, I would definitely give 5 out of 5 stars.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:12 PM

Like Dean2 mentioned I'd recommend the weaver tip off mount to give you the best option for what you want to accomplish. I often use a Savage 99 in 308 with a 4x weaver scope on tip off mounts, and while I've never bothered to shoot the rifle with open sights I've tipped the scope on and off multiple times and have never noticed it go out of alignment, should work just fine for a 22.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:53 AM

Default More is sometimes less...

I guess it comes down to what you want this gun to do. Everyone has their preferences, but I think on this one you have to make a choice: Mount the scope, or use the sights. Trying to keep both is really not the best option. More is sometimes less.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:06 PM

Absolutely do not do it. If you want the kids and yourself to have a blast shooting get med mounts and go at it. The Nikon PROSTAFF Rimfire would serve you well. It has a parallax adjustment for 50 yards and 1/4 inch adjustment's at 50 yards as well. Nikon has the PROSTAFF 3-9BDC on promo right now. Under $150! You would be getting a 100 yard parallax and 1/4 inch at 100 adjustments so you can really fine tune the 50 yard zero. Try to find decent ammo to, it will be more reliable and accurate. It may take a few different boxes to see which your gun shoots the best. Enjoy, you are on the right track.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:12 PM

Only way to do it so you have a cheekweld would be getting an adjustable stock... They do not come cheep. Probably cheeper to get a second 22lr at that point.
An example would be a boyd at 1 stock that would come in around $350.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:59 PM

When i was young and dumb (dumber than i am now) i had a win 9422 with see through rings. In order to look through the scope you almost had to open your mouth to get a nice chin weld.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:08 PM

That almost looks like a nice little Winchester. I remember when we'd go down to the Macleods store after school and look at an entire wall of rifles for sale; mostly Cooey's and Winchesters. Couldn't even dream of how long it would take to save up the outrageous sum of 65 dollars to buy one of those.

Right now I use a Zeiss 6-24x50mm Diavari on a Volquartsen 10/22 receiver using a Picatinny rail. Can put 10/10 shots of CCI LR on a penny at 50 meters every time in still wind and follow the whole flight of the bullet. Not sure what it's good for though, except picking off black flies on the target board or eradicating entire fields of gophers. Neither of which is particularly interesting.

For getting into rifle shooting for the first time, or even the occasional rabbit hunt, I think iron sights on a modest bolt-action .22 are enough. Putting a higher grade sight on it like a Lyman or whatever would be good but is as far as I'd go. A raised, or any other scope, seems pointless. When you've reached the limitations of the .22LR with iron sights, it's time to go upscale to something like a .223 which you can buy ammo by the caseload for, for cheap. Those will take out a gopher or tin can every bit as well as a .22 Then you can worry about scopes, to accurately get out to 200 yards.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman940 View Post
Absolutely do not do it. If you want the kids and yourself to have a blast shooting get med mounts and go at it. The Nikon PROSTAFF Rimfire would serve you well. It has a parallax adjustment for 50 yards and 1/4 inch adjustment's at 50 yards as well. Nikon has the PROSTAFF 3-9BDC on promo right now. Under $150! You would be getting a 100 yard parallax and 1/4 inch at 100 adjustments so you can really fine tune the 50 yard zero. Try to find decent ammo to, it will be more reliable and accurate. It may take a few different boxes to see which your gun shoots the best. Enjoy, you are on the right track.

Is $150 on their American site? Cheapest I saw was $175 on nikon.ca bass pro has it for a couple $ more. I may drive in this weekend and pick one up. I'll "test" it out on my 22 for a while before giving in to the gf for Xmas
Old 10-12-2017, 06:05 PM

Had a 3x9x32,then later a 3x9x40 mounted in see-thru mounts on a Rem 7600 30-06 for over 2 decades and killed dozens of deer,moose,bears,coyotes with it,even shot the heads off a good number of chickens over the years......luckily for me,and to the shock and horror of all these rifleman purists,I didn't know I was doing it all wrong for decades.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:13 AM

Default scope

Great to hear you are going totake advantage of the promo! Not to throw a wrench into your thinking but Nikon has their PROSTAFF 5 3.5-14X40 Matte BDC for $80 off. Under $220. I know this isn't really useful for your needs but if you are looking for a scope for a centerfire this is about the best deal I have seen on the PROSTAFF 5 model. Just throwing it out there in case anyone is on the fence for a new scope. Remember to check out this sites Sponsor's to see if they can hook you up.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:57 AM

I went with a Scorpion Prismatic site on my 10/22 tactical, best thing ever. Under a $100.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:06 PM

It's all about fit.

If a guy had a real tall head, this style of ring might be just the ticket.