Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-20-2017, 10:59 PM

Default Scope suggestions

I'm entertaining the idea of upgrading my rifle scope. I currently have a vortex HST mounted on a Sako A7 chambered in .270. I plan on selling the vortex and upgrading to a higher quality optic, can anyone recommend a scope in the $1200 to $1500 dollar range. Brands and models would be appreciated, as I will want do some research. Thank you!
Old 05-20-2017, 11:13 PM

Swarovski Z-3 3-10x42 is a good choice.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
x2
Old 05-21-2017, 08:57 AM
Banned

What is your intended use, and applicable range ? Hunting or targets ?

What magnification do you have now, and what magnification do you want ?

NightForce SHV or Sightron SIII...

Old 05-21-2017, 12:13 PM

Application is for target shooting! I hope to one day be able to shoot 800-1000yrds. Magnification isn't as important to me as quality, however 16x mag would be great but for what I'm trying to achieve (working on 500yrds) I'm sure a 12x mag would be plenty sufficient. I have been looking at the Swaro and Nighforce they both look like great scopes, Zeiss and Steiner are also on my list!
Old 05-21-2017, 12:26 PM

Look at the sightron s111 line up
Old 05-21-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morinj View Post
Application is for target shooting! I hope to one day be able to shoot 800-1000yrds. Magnification isn't as important to me as quality, however 16x mag would be great but for what I'm trying to achieve (working on 500yrds) I'm sure a 12x mag would be plenty sufficient. I have been looking at the Swaro and Nighforce they both look like great scopes, Zeiss and Steiner are also on my list!
Have a good look at the sightron s-tac. I recently purchased one of these in a 3-16 power and I am thrilled with it. I replaced a Leopold vari x lll with this scope and it is way more scope. The best part is I only paid $650 for it. Best bang for the buck by far. Next step up is the s3 which will run double the price for slightly better glass. Sightron in my opinion is the leader in target based scopes.
Old 05-21-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Based on your choice of rifle and cartridge, I assumed that your intended use was hunting. For target shooting, I would consider the Zeiss HD-5 with Lockplex turrets.
Old 05-21-2017, 04:54 PM

You are right Elk, the .270 isn't your typical target rifle, I've also thought of trading it up aswell, but it's worked very well for me! The Zeiss HD5 is definately at the top of my list I've had a chance to look at one, and the glass is super crisp, and the scope itself, appears to be quite solid, having you recommend the Zeiss has definately put it on my top 3 so far!
Old 05-21-2017, 07:15 PM

Zeiss hd5 3-15 is a great option. Nightforce has very clear glass, great turrets, but imo not worth the weight penalty on a hunting rifle. The zeiss and the leupold are both 10 oz or more lighter.

Add Leupolds vx5 3-15 to your list and the vx3 4.5-14 with adjustable objective or side focus. I have a vx6 3-18 on a hunting/long-distance rifle and it has a great combination of features, weight, and reliability. But I rarely use more than 10 or 12x hunting and find 18 to be more than I want with a calibrated reticle.

More than anything, have a look through them yourself. What looks best to your eye is as individual as getting the right fit in a pair of boots. Outside if possible, but even in the store is useful.

Seriously, the zeiss or the leupold. Swarovski z3 if you want to go lightweight on your hunting rifle and don't care as much about stretching your legs at the range.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Agree. I have one on my .308, love it. Will run you about $1100 so at the low end of your budget too.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:46 PM

Nightforce SHV
Old 05-22-2017, 12:49 PM

Quality optics are seldom light weight or inexpensive.
Ask yourself where the glass/coatings that fail QC end up?
IMHO optics are the MOST important part of a long range kit.
In addition to good (or at least fair) glass and coatings,
optics suitable for long range use MUST have ACCURATELY calibrated turrets and reticles that should be moa-moa or mil-mil, (but not mixed moa-mil).
The turrets MUST be REPEATABLE and with sufficient travel for the intended cartridge and range. A sloped P-rail will probably be needed.
IMHO, the most overlooked spec is the turret elevation/turn. Determine how many turret turns it will take to get YOUR bullet to 1000yds.
A large objective lens is required for any high magnification scope to produce a usable exit pupil size.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:56 PM

id suggest you spend as much as you can afford and add 25% to that. the scope will hop from rifle to rifle your as long as you choose to shoot.
ive always thought that the sighting solution ( bases/ rings/ glass) should be equal too or slightly greater than the cost of the rifle.

best glass compared to good glass is like building a smaller affordable garage, building it for what you think you need now only comes back to haunt later.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 05-22-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
id suggest you spend as much as you can afford and add 25% to that. the scope will hop from rifle to rifle your as long as you choose to shoot.
ive always thought that the sighting solution ( bases/ rings/ glass) should be equal too or slightly greater than the cost of the rifle.
snip
IMHO, this old rule of thumb is (barely) adequate for an average short range hunting rifle.
IMHO, for long range use the sighting system is often much more expensive than all the rest of the kit combined, and 3-10x the cost of the bare rifle.

IMHE a $3,000. scope on a $500 rifle, will shoot a LOT better than a $500. scope on a $3,000. rifle, (and do it for a LOT longer).

Ask yourself why there are so many Vortex scopes on the B&S, and so few S&B PMII or NF ATACR.

Good Luck, YMMV
Old 05-25-2017, 11:04 AM
Banned

Quote:

I'm entertaining the idea of upgrading my rifle scope. I currently have a vortex HST mounted on a Sako A7 chambered in .270. I plan on selling the vortex and upgrading to a higher quality optic, can anyone recommend a scope in the $1200 to $1500 dollar range. Brands and models would be appreciated, as I will want do some research. Thank you!
I'm curious why you think spending $200-$500 over the cost of your already $1000 HST, will get you anything vastly superior to that Vortex ?

I think you're wasting your time if this new scope isn't for a "competition" rifle...

That HST will do everything those Swaro's or Zeis will do (in that price-range). Is yours MOA or MRAD ?

Old 05-25-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
I'm curious why you think spending $200-$500 over the cost of your already $1000 HST, will get you anything vastly superior to that Vortex ?

I think you're wasting your time if this new scope isn't for a "competition" rifle...

That HST will do everything those Swaro's or Zeis will do (in that price-range). Is yours MOA or MRAD ?

There's no doubt that it is a good scope, however I'm looking for quality, that matchs closer to my Leupold VX 6, my hst is in MOA!
Old 05-25-2017, 03:40 PM

Sightron SIII 8-32x56 would serve you well. Large turrets to dial and decent glass. I prefer the sightron over the NF SHV if doing lots of dialling. That or save a bit more and buy a NXS 8-32X56 ZS.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
IMHO, this old rule of thumb is (barely) adequate for an average short range hunting rifle.
IMHO, for long range use the sighting system is often much more expensive than all the rest of the kit combined, and 3-10x the cost of the bare rifle.

IMHE a $3,000. scope on a $500 rifle, will shoot a LOT better than a $500. scope on a $3,000. rifle, (and do it for a LOT longer).

Ask yourself why there are so many Vortex scopes on the B&S, and so few S&B PMII or NF ATACR.

Good Luck, YMMV

Your humble estimation is assinine.

At Cabelas, all you can get for $500 is a Savage Axis or Mossberg Patriot (both with ****ty triggers).

Put either of those guns up against an off the shelf Tikka HB, Savage Model 12, or Remington 700 5R with a $500 Nikon Monarch 3 and have the same shooter pulling the trigger. We will quickly see that your humble assertion doesn't hold water. Not a drop. Where you come up with these things is beyond me.

Last edited by sns2; 05-25-2017 at 05:42 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:38 PM

Leupold VX ll / VX 2 6 - 18 X 40 with fine duplex are good value for cost. I use them for most of my Range shooting and have also used them to hunt. Relatively lightweight. Good tracking.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:19 PM
Banned

Quote:

There's no doubt that it is a good scope, however I'm looking for quality, that matchs closer to my Leupold VX 6, my hst is in MOA !
That's too bad, cause if it was MRAD at the price you're asking... I'd own it already.

I have the same scope, and for my purposes (seemingly the same as yours) I can't see the benefit of buying a (slightly) more expensive one.

Now if you wanna spend $2000-$3000... NightForce.

BTW, take a look at what precision shooters use during competition... Not a single Swaro or Zeiss to be found.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2017/0...opes-pros-use/

Last edited by J0HN_R1; 05-25-2017 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:38 PM

Just to add to this, please don't get intimidated by other people's opinions that's all they are. Just because a scope is $2000+ doesn't mean it will perform any better than a $800. There will always be lemons.

If I was in your position I'd wait for the Vortex PST Gen2 to hit store shelves and go with that. It will have a nice mix of features between hunting/long range shooting and within your price range.

Either way, when purchasing this scope just go use a bal. calc to see how much elevation you'll need and make that a factor.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:53 AM

IMHO, For long range shooting, repeatable turrets is a must have. And glass clarity comes in second.
Nightforce as well as Sightron are known to have very well engineered turrets. And good glass. There is also the higher end Bushnells with the 34 mm tubes. HDMR scopes. I know there are some PRS shooters that use them, or the ERS scopes. But right know I've seen some HDMRs going for 1400$ plus Bushnell has a 25% off rebate right now. And for 1600$ you can get the H 59 reticle too. Hirsch precision has them on right now for a good deal. As well as Plain Sight solutions.
I've got a lower end tactical elite 6500 ffp and it tracks great. Plus they have the new no fault warrenty.
I'm looking for a new scope for long range coyote hunting and long range target shooting to go on my newly acquired Savage 12 lrp in 243 win. And am torn between the 3. But I really like those HDMR scopes and have heard nothing but great things.
But like some said. To really step it up, I should go full out and get something right up there. That's why I'm also debating taking the hit and going for an SnB Kahles, Nightforce Atacr.
But damn they are pricey.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman35ca View Post
IMHO, For long range shooting, repeatable turrets is a must have. And glass clarity comes in second.
Nightforce as well as Sightron are known to have very well engineered turrets. And good glass. There is also the higher end Bushnells with the 34 mm tubes. HDMR scopes. I know there are some PRS shooters that use them, or the ERS scopes. But right know I've seen some HDMRs going for 1400$ plus Bushnell has a 25% off rebate right now. And for 1600$ you can get the H 59 reticle too. Hirsch precision has them on right now for a good deal. As well as Plain Sight solutions.
I've got a lower end tactical elite 6500 ffp and it tracks great. Plus they have the new no fault warrenty.
I'm looking for a new scope for long range coyote hunting and long range target shooting to go on my newly acquired Savage 12 lrp in 243 win. And am torn between the 3. But I really like those HDMR scopes and have heard nothing but great things.
But like some said. To really step it up, I should go full out and get something right up there. That's why I'm also debating taking the hit and going for an SnB Kahles, Nightforce Atacr.
But damn they are pricey.
I have the new Kahles k624i w/ SKMR3 and I am quite happy with it and my needs. Having said that, the scope is not without faults, however the pros heavy outweighs the cons. This is strictly for LR target.

If I was going high end for your purpose I'd go with the NF/Steiner, simply because of the coats used on the lenses. I'm just thinking if you'll be using them for LR hunting/LR target.

And if I was going LR hunting only and not target than I'd look at the Zeiss Victory series.

And if I was doing like LR benchrest type shooting, I'd look at the Swarovski X5 series. This is all assuming we are talking still premium scopes.

Again, just makes sure 1) scope suits your purpose and 2) scope suits your rifle and 3) scope suits you. Hope that helps