Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-25-2020, 06:28 AM

Default Ammunition and Firearms Sales Booming

It's not only the USA that has seen firearms and ammunition sales booming during this crisis.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...4ZR887PNO0bcyU
Old 03-25-2020, 07:02 AM

And even after the dust settles we are probably looking at another shortage of ammunition, powder and components.

Looking ahead, prices will probably jump another 30-40% like last time.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:09 AM

Hopefully everyone stocked up on what they needed prior to this because with the panic buying and our dollar so low prices will go no where but up for a long while. With the potential ban we have been living under for years now Im sure most did but the newbies will be the ones paying the price.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:01 AM
AO Sponsor

We have noticed a large increase in ammunition and handgun sales and, to a lesser degree, in general. Already suppliers have announced price increases to offset the dollars fall, although many suppliers bill in US$ so the increase comes instantly as the dollar falls. Also, many suppliers are already out of some ammo, especially 9mm rounds and some rimfire.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:16 AM

It’s times like these where the lessons learned in the past and the fact that I reload, make me smile.

Every 4-5 years there’s some sort of calamity in the shooting world. Having lived through this numerous times has this latest crap show just being a bit of white noise.

Learn from this you new guys, and when supply is good buy a bit extra, and buy often, then you don’t have to hit the panic button.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-25-2020, 08:26 AM

That's some good advice Dick.

I'm usually looking at what I would need at least 3 years out then govern myself accordingly.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:43 AM

I always maintain a few years worth of centerfire and hunting loads, but when a person shoots 12-15k of shotshells per year, even storage space becomes an issue. I topped up my supply a week ago, as I do every spring, but I will need to buy shotshells again by next spring.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I always maintain a few years worth of centerfire and hunting loads, but when a person shoots 12-15k of shotshells per year, even storage space becomes an issue. I topped up my supply a week ago, as I do every spring, but I will need to buy shotshells again by next spring.
I don’t see where you are gonna go do all this shooting, as most ranges are starting to limit the number of persons on site, and it’s inevitable if the rate of incident of this virus doesn’t start to flatten, expect ranges to get shut down.

Stay home!

There are no absolutes
Old 03-25-2020, 09:50 AM

Ya price increases coming forsure, the ammo never seems to go down though does it.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:00 AM

This right here is BS trying to create a buying frenzy and drive sales. It makes us all look like a bunch of morons ready to start shooting our neighbours. Rural crime will go down as more people are forced to stay home and properties are watched. Regular hard working Albertans are not going to start robbing their friends and family. The same drug dependent nut jobs that were robbing before will continue to do so in this down turn.

Sold out of buckshot; yeah that is a highly stocked item in Alberta. I would be surprised if any store stocked more than a few boxes at the best of times.

I have $50 how much can I get??? Give me a break, his customers should be out raged to be painted with this brush.

Same guys coming in every day looking for more. What did they find more money under the bed or are companies starting to pay every day now?

I would be boycotting this business if it was a place I shopped.

'Unprecedented': Gun and ammunition sales spike amid coronavirus spread

Tinney said most of his sales have been ammunition, but he still has a lot of supplies left.

But he says he's also heard of an ammunition shortage in some parts of Alberta, including one woman who drove 90 minutes to buy ammunition from him on Monday because all of the stores where she lives are sold out.

'I've got $50, how much can I get?'
"I have the same guys coming in every day to buy, whatever they can afford that day," he added.

"If they have $50 in their pocket, 'I need 12-gauge buckshot, I've got $50, how much can I get?' And they don't ask the price — 'How much can I get?' — and they come in every day and buy whatever they can afford."
Old 03-25-2020, 10:03 AM

I hate that primers cost more than 22 shells already and it always seems they take the biggest hit after a crisis.

I already had my loading done before the pox hit now stranded at home I loaded enough for the zombie apocalypse
Old 03-25-2020, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
I don’t see where you are gonna go do all this shooting, as most ranges are starting to limit the number of persons on site, and it’s inevitable if the rate of incident of this virus doesn’t start to flatten, expect ranges to get shut down.

Stay home!
You can shoot sporting clays by yourself, which I usually do. I shoot weekdays, and most times, I don't pass within 50 yards of anyone else. Events will be cancelled or postponed, but that is a very small part of my shooting. With skeet, it's easy to maintain the 2m distance, and we usually only have a handful of people anyways at this time of year. If the authorities shut us down, so be it, but I would rather have ammunition sit unused, than not be able to shoot because I ran out. And everything I purchased this spring was on sale, and it's not likely that we will see those prices again .
Old 03-25-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
You can shoot sporting clays by yourself, which I usually do. I shoot weekdays, and most times, I don't pass within 50 yards of anyone else. Events will be cancelled or postponed, but that is a very small part of my shooting. With skeet, it's easy to maintain the 2m distance, and we usually only have a handful of people anyways at this time of year. If the authorities shut us down, so be it, but I would rather have ammunition sit unused, than not be able to shoot because I ran out.
And when the range is closed due to being non essential.... then what.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-25-2020, 10:15 AM

Who knows why people do what they do,once someone starts hoarding ammo then people start to follow. Just like the grocery and tp situation,its a created shortage. The whole ammo thing i dont understand though,what do people see coming that they feel they need to stock pile ammunition.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
This right here is BS trying to create a buying frenzy and drive sales. It makes us all look like a bunch of morons ready to start shooting our neighbours. Rural crime will go down as more people are forced to stay home and properties are watched. Regular hard working Albertans are not going to start robbing their friends and family. The same drug dependent nut jobs that were robbing before will continue to do so in this down turn.

Sold out of buckshot; yeah that is a highly stocked item in Alberta. I would be surprised if any store stocked more than a few boxes at the best of times.

I have $50 how much can I get??? Give me a break, his customers should be out raged to be painted with this brush.

Same guys coming in every day looking for more. What did they find more money under the bed or are companies starting to pay every day now?

Tinney said most of his sales have been ammunition, but he still has a lot of supplies left.

But he says he's also heard of an ammunition shortage in some parts of Alberta, including one woman who drove 90 minutes to buy ammunition from him on Monday because all of the stores where she lives are sold out.

"I have the same guys coming in every day to buy, whatever they can afford that day," he added.

"If they have $50 in their pocket, 'I need 12-gauge buckshot, I've got $50, how much can I get?' And they don't ask the price — 'How much can I get?' — and they come in every day and buy whatever they can afford."
He didnt do us any service with that interview. What in the hell was he thinking other than a good way to drum up more sales. Why would any gun shop give the CBC an inverview...what a donkey
Old 03-25-2020, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Then I have ammunition that I bought for a good price, when it opens again. It's not like the ammunition will go bad , before the range opens again. I buy my target load supply every spring, and this spring was no different.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:35 AM

I think its a good thing. Of course the media will paint it like a bunch of nuts are out preparing to kill everyone, but be sure to point out that over the years there have been many surges in the purchases of firearms and ammunition reported by the predominantly left-wing press, what is worthy of note however, is the lack of anything in terms of similar rises in the murder rate. The press will spread fear against gun owners, but don't expect them to go very far in reporting how responsible these same firearms owners prove themselves to be. Generally those media reports sound remarkably like crickets.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:42 AM

Quote:

I am not arguing with your logic but we should remember that this is the person who supplies Narrow Lake Youth Camp with thousands of rounds of ammunition at cost. He has been doing this for a lot of years.
Also we should remember that CBC has an agenda which can pick and choose what they quote. I will continue to deal there.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXSB View Post
I am not arguing with your logic but we should remember that this is the person who supplies Narrow Lake Youth Camp with thousands of rounds of ammunition at cost. He has been doing this for a lot of years.
Also we should remember that CBC has an agenda which can pick and choose what they quote. I will continue to deal there.
Maybe someone should have a little talk with him regarding unethical advertising and supporting the the media/Liberal anti gun agenda.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Dick, ranges aren’t the only places to shoot.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-25-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Dick, ranges aren’t the only places to shoot.
But I do know where Elkhunter is talking about, and the comment was directed at him.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-25-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
But I do know where Elkhunter is talking about, and the comment was directed at him.
As I posted, I bought my regular amount this spring, and it was all on sale at about 20% off, so even if I don't use it all this year, I will use it, and I paid less than what people will be paying when the corona virus has passed. At best, I saved money this year, at worst, I will have saved money next year. I don't see a downside.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:15 PM

I asked a few friends of mine who went panic buying of ammo, how much can you realistically carry on you if you had to bug out? They had no clue.
Then I joked I cant wait until hunting season when I stumble across peoples stash in the woods.

What worries me are all the non gun people who bought gun, have no idea what they are doing with one. They are also the most likely to panic and use one improperly.
on a good note in a few months there will be good deals on used not fired firearms, along with lots of ammo.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
I asked a few friends of mine who went panic buying of ammo, how much can you realistically carry on you if you had to bug out? They had no clue.
Then I joked I cant wait until hunting season when I stumble across peoples stash in the woods.

What worries me are all the non gun people who bought gun, have no idea what they are doing with one. They are also the most likely to panic and use one improperly.
on a good note in a few months there will be good deals on used not fired firearms, along with lots of ammo.
There should be a lot of cheap short barreled shotguns available. The positive about this, is that people that have never owned firearms were turned away, because they didn't have the required PAL. These people now realize that it isn't as easy to legally purchase firearms in Canada as some people had them believing.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:26 PM

Quote:
There should be a lot of cheap short barreled shotguns available. The positive about this, is that people that have never owned firearms were turned away, because they didn't have the required PAL. These people now realize that it isn't as easy to legally purchase firearms in Canada as some people had them believing.
That’s for sure, and there isn’t going to be any courses for the CFSC anytime soon, as AHEIA has asked instructors to curtail having classes. And also the time frame to get approved for a new Firearms Licence is going to be ridiculously long as staffing in the Firearms Bureaucracy is so messed up at the moment.

I’m hopefully optimistic that somehow the COVID crisis defines a watershed moment in people’s perception of firearms, and gun control.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-25-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
That’s for sure, and there isn’t going to be any courses for the CFSC anytime soon, as AHEIA has asked instructors to curtail having classes. And also the time frame to get approved for a new Firearms Licence is going to be ridiculously long as staffing in the Firearms Bureaucracy is so messed up at the moment.

I’m hopefully optimistic that somehow the COVID crisis defines a watershed moment in people’s perception of firearms, and gun control.
The hard core anti firearms crowd won't change, but finding out the reality of our firearms laws, because of this crisis, may swing some people that were sitting on the fence previously. And when these people try to get a PAL, because they were turned away, and it takes so long, the pro firearms crowd may gain even more support.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:22 PM

Quote:

It's like the media seeks out the most ignorant to interview...
Old 03-25-2020, 09:24 PM

Default Trudope

Anyone else giggling about any gun law changes with the thousands of purchases more they have to consider now?
Old 03-25-2020, 11:18 PM

Me thinks that a gun buy back will not be the highest priority any time soon, given the size of the deficit that is being incurred for the new support programs that are being introduced.
Old 03-26-2020, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Me thinks that a gun buy back will not be the highest priority any time soon, given the size of the deficit that is being incurred for the new support programs that are being introduced.
All that means is they won't give you any money when they take it...
You can bet he'll still push C-71 to the table.

Glad I sold all mine to that Mike guy from Canmore everyone talks about. Needed cash for TP and sanitizer.