Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-20-2017, 09:23 AM

Default Nebraska approves Keystone XL pipeline

Looks like finally some smart common sense decisions are being made out there.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-20-2017, 09:39 AM

That should make some heads explode.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:49 AM

This is a good thing, but its still only a portion of access to the US market, we still need to bludgeon our own legislators into approving one going to each coast in order for us to realize fair market prices instead of being monopolized by our neighbor.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
This is a good thing, but its still only a portion of access to the US market, we still need to bludgeon our own legislators into approving one going to each coast in order for us to realize fair market prices instead of being monopolized by our neighbor.
Yes this is true..sad really that our own decision makers on such things, don't seem to want to decide what's actually best for us at times...makes a person wonder why, what causes such stupidity..
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 11-20-2017, 12:11 PM

They were just saying on the news that this isn't a done deal yet. Trans Canada will look at the new route to see if it's viable and profitable. When Keystone started, Oil was 3 times a much as it is today plus, Trans Canada now has to deal with all the landowners that the new route will cross.

The twining of the pipline to the BC coast will be delayed indefinitely. Although approved by the Feds, they are not interested in pushing against Provincial and Municipal opposition to it. I don't expect to see shovels in the ground in my lifetime.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
X2
Old 11-20-2017, 03:10 PM

Whatever the price of oil may be now, they can't simply build pipelines based on current pricing, that's where the long term averages and price forecasting comes in. If the pipe isn't in the ground already when the next price spikes occur, then it will be too late to capitalize upon and we'll still be stuck selling at a discount to the USA ......

The best time to build a pipeline is many years ago, the second best time to build one is right now.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:57 PM
Banned

Default Spielplatztravessa

There are already court actions in the works by supposedly "stakeholder groups". XL pipeline is a long ways off yet.

If our own Governments can't get their poop together to get a pipeline East or West that is disgusting.

One market for our product and even that is being contested. Pretty sad!
Old 11-20-2017, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastmanstanding View Post
There are already court actions in the works by supposedly "stakeholder groups". XL pipeline is a long ways off yet.

If our own Governments can't get their poop together to get a pipeline East or West that is disgusting.

One market for our product and even that is being contested. Pretty sad!
Someone needs to start suing these people for economic terrorism.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-20-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Hardin View Post
They were just saying on the news that this isn't a done deal yet. Trans Canada will look at the new route to see if it's viable and profitable. When Keystone started, Oil was 3 times a much as it is today plus, Trans Canada now has to deal with all the landowners that the new route will cross.

The twining of the pipline to the BC coast will be delayed indefinitely. Although approved by the Feds, they are not interested in pushing against Provincial and Municipal opposition to it. I don't expect to see shovels in the ground in my lifetime.

Transcanada is crying to the alberta government to buy contracted capacity on the line.... I am guessing they are having a rough time filling it. Funny how they tout free market but cry for handouts from the government while firing every worker that isnt bolted down.

They are trying to get 375 000 barrel commitment from the alberta government so the line is almost half empty if they were to build it.... and it is a direct ride to cushing which probably isnt a very appealing ride to throw your oil on if you own an oil company.

The credit is probably alittle tougher to get when all your shippers probably arent making money. They need how ever many billions to build the thing and put up with the delays so it ll be a tough sell to shove out bonds with a small coupon.

Last edited by 79ford; 11-20-2017 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:55 PM

Who really cares about Keystone XL???

There already is considerable capacity on the existing lines that are collecting all the northern states production, which will keep the US lines full for a long time. Apparently, the existing Keystone line comes within 30 km of the Sask border already.

Importing Canuck Oil from the oil sands will not be in demand until the US production starts dropping off from the tight shale plays. That could take 20 years.

But in the mean time, we will still ship oil by tanker car to the west coast and anywhere else that they can sell it. Rail is the only way around all the protesters for oil delivery in the short term, and probably the long term.

Drewski
Old 11-20-2017, 11:45 PM

Drewski, on that note:

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topst...jBr?ocid=ientp

Kind of makes you realize why Warren Buffet was loading up on railways, no?
Old 11-21-2017, 05:50 AM

If you look back into the early days of oil in north america it was the railway barons gouging the producers until you had standard oil and other companies build some pipelines. Thats a 150 year old sore spot between the two groups.

Assuming there is enough meat on the bone to pay for rail shipping ( which there currently isnt) railing stuff is alittle more fuel intense which isnt entirely horrible.

I think from a pipeline stand point you can make more money with a full line everyone wants to get in on vs building new lines that may end up half full for a decade or more. The tarsands doesnt really pay off right now to sink more money into so there will probably be a long long time of licking wounds before anyone dumps more money into those operations lol.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Who really cares about Keystone XL???

There already is considerable capacity on the existing lines that are collecting all the northern states production, which will keep the US lines full for a long time. Apparently, the existing Keystone line comes within 30 km of the Sask border already.

Importing Canuck Oil from the oil sands will not be in demand until the US production starts dropping off from the tight shale plays. That could take 20 years.

But in the mean time, we will still ship oil by tanker car to the west coast and anywhere else that they can sell it. Rail is the only way around all the protesters for oil delivery in the short term, and probably the long term.

Drewski
Isnt the big push for keystone xl, to get off reliance of middle east oil?
Old 11-21-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79ford View Post
Transcanada is crying to the alberta government to buy contracted capacity on the line.... I am guessing they are having a rough time filling it. Funny how they tout free market but cry for handouts from the government while firing every worker that isnt bolted down.

They are trying to get 375 000 barrel commitment from the alberta government so the line is almost half empty if they were to build it.... and it is a direct ride to cushing which probably isnt a very appealing ride to throw your oil on if you own an oil company.

The credit is probably alittle tougher to get when all your shippers probably arent making money. They need how ever many billions to build the thing and put up with the delays so it ll be a tough sell to shove out bonds with a small coupon.
You have no clue. really, you don't. The Alberta government has oil they have to move. No "handouts" involved. And TransCanada's credit is just fine. They have no problems raising money for projects. And the project has enough subscriptions to move ahead.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ticle36977103/
Old 11-21-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
You have no clue. really, you don't.

Sorry 79. No need for me to get snooty. Too late to edit.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Sorry 79. No need for me to get snooty. Too late to edit.
No you were bang on Oko. Some people just dont get it
Old 11-21-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
You have no clue. really, you don't. The Alberta government has oil they have to move. No "handouts" involved. And TransCanada's credit is just fine. They have no ry/why-alberta-should-commit-to-a-keystone-xl-contract/article36977103/[/URL]

You just posted a link saying what I was saying.... the credit of the shippers sucks and thats why transacanada needs the alberta government to hand them some help.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:42 PM

Default Nebraska approves Keystone XL pipeline

Quote:
You just posted a link saying what I was saying.... the credit of the shippers sucks and thats why transacanada needs the alberta government to hand them some help.

Please explain where Transcanada is asking for handouts from the government like you said in your first post?

You clearly have no idea how pipelines are contracted and how the commitments are secured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-21-2017, 05:50 PM

How about refining that bitumen here then we don't need bitumen pipelines.
Nobody want's our bitumen, without a huge discount, but the byproducts will always be in demand. Come on people... Transcanada wants alberta's bitumen because if they decide to refine it in alberta they wont get their tolls from us.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinebeers View Post
Please explain where Transcanada is asking for handouts from the government like you said in your first post?

You clearly have no idea how pipelines are contracted and how the commitments are secured.

If you read the article posted by okotokian you would understand what I am getting at.

Heres one of the articles, there's another one in the herald. You rely on shipping commitments to get financed and your shippers kinda become your credit worthyness for the project as transcanada will rely on cenovus,cnrl, and other oilsands players for the next 20-50 years to get their money back.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...stone-capacity
Old 11-22-2017, 05:23 AM

Quote:
If you read the article posted by okotokian you would understand what I am getting at.

Heres one of the articles, there's another one in the herald. You rely on shipping commitments to get financed and your shippers kinda become your credit worthyness for the project as transcanada will rely on cenovus,cnrl, and other oilsands players for the next 20-50 years to get their money back.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...stone-capacity

I've read both articles. I'm still waiting for you to show me these so called hand outs??

The APMC is no different then any other oil company in Alberta. They have bbls that need to get to market. TransCanada would be foolish to not approach them about contracting space just the same as they have every other company.

So once again please show me where TC is asking for handouts from the government.

Old 11-22-2017, 06:39 AM

Quote:
If you look back into the early days of oil in north america it was the railway barons gouging the producers until you had standard oil and other companies build some pipelines. Thats a 150 year old sore spot between the two groups.

Assuming there is enough meat on the bone to pay for rail shipping ( which there currently isnt) railing stuff is alittle more fuel intense which isnt entirely horrible.

I think from a pipeline stand point you can make more money with a full line everyone wants to get in on vs building new lines that may end up half full for a decade or more. The tarsands doesnt really pay off right now to sink more money into so there will probably be a long long time of licking wounds before anyone dumps more money into those operations lol.
Did you not read your own article? Oil sands production is surging.
Old 11-22-2017, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinebeers View Post
I've read both articles. I'm still waiting for you to show me these so called hand outs??

The APMC is no different then any other oil company in Alberta. They have bbls that need to get to market. TransCanada would be foolish to not approach them about contracting space just the same as they have every other company.

So once again please show me where TC is asking for handouts from the government.

He doesn't understand paying fees to use a pipeline is not a handout.