Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-18-2017, 09:56 AM

Default Mechanic question

Has anyone ever had a lower ball joint just go after 2 months from new? I bought a set of moog lower ball joints for my 2008 chevy 2500hd and had them installed. And today i went to get a wheel alignment and they said my front passenger lower is screwed. Could it be i just got a lemon of ball joint from factory?

I have new upper control arms, with new front wheel hubs, shocks and tie rods Done 6months ago. Tire shop said those are all fine, just front pass lower ball joint is screwed.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:24 AM
Banned

Seems odd alright.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:34 AM

I've had it happen with cheap crap ball joints twice (didn't learn my lesson the first time) but not with a Moog. Mabe Moog are crap now or have a budget line of garbage now I don't know. Or the shop is screwing with you. I'd check it myself just to be sure.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:38 AM

I have never really had much luck with moog, they seem to have a rough time making bushings etc.

Auto parts in general seem pretty hit and miss these days, lots are from china and mexico now. You can't really just replace and let'er buck it seems, combine questionable parts quality with the risks in installation and you have to watch out it seems.

I would just jack it up yourself and wiggle the thing to see if they are in fact loose. There is a huge difference between what a mechanic wants to fix and what needs to be fixed.

Last edited by 79ford; 11-18-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:50 AM

Different possibilities. Could have been a dude that slipped through QC, could have been technique such as a hammer blow on install, could be an incorrect diagnosis. Myself, I'd jack it and give the tire a firm massage, looking for joint looseness.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:10 AM

I'd also want to take a look at it before changing. Could be its not the internals of the joint that failed, but a fitment problem, wouldn't be the first time I've seen that. Also, if the play is only minor up and down movement its not that big of a deal.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:40 PM

No. I feel fer ya though. My 06 Ram 2500 diesel 295K has original front end and has never had a wheel alignment. Tracks straight and true all the time
Old 11-18-2017, 01:31 PM

If it was actually replaced then I tend to doubt it's bad...not entirely out of the realm of possibilities but doubtful.
Up down play does not always mean bad ball joint.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:29 PM

My guess is that the ball joint is fine but the hole for the ball joint in the lower control arm is worn out.
I've installed hundreds of Moog steering and suspension products and only once ever had an issue with a part. I could see it was screwed before installing it.
Lots of cheap ball joints out there fail pretty quick. Are you sure they installed Moog?
I'd check it yourself or at least ask for the old one back if they wanna change it and take that back to where you bought it. It should be warrantied.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:04 AM

Stay away from MOOG, go with RAYBESTOS they are far superior. Look at any site from the USA and they will explain it. I only buy RAYBESTOS parts for my pickup through our shop account...... Better Quality... JMHO

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."
- Bob Hagel
Old 11-19-2017, 01:48 AM

Yrs ago I had a similar thing on my ford 3/4 ton. Would only use hem parts after that.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:53 AM

I own a 2007 duramax . Shop replaced all ball joint . Year later both uppers shot . Replaced them myself . Noticed they were dry as a bone . Not a lick of grease.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:59 AM

Moog parts carry a warranty. It should get replaced free.

From their web site

WARRANTY

Not only do MOOG ball joints provide durability, they also provide peace of mind. Moog ball joints are covered by a Lifetime Warranty and, should you ever need it, can be handled directly through our DST Customer Service Team. Take turns confidently with a Moog ball joint.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:23 PM

I grease once a month, i throw a shot ot two of grease in all my grease points on the truck. I had tercier motors install it in bonnyville. I tried to grease it last night and it would not take grease. This truck is a work truck, buy i tend to take it easy on dirt roads and rough back country trails.

I spoke to the stealer ship and they tried to blame it on the fact i bought it off amazon. I told her that amazon sells acdelco, moog and all other big name brands like anywhere else. It was a genuine moog lower ball joint. I'll have to jack it up and take a look at the lower control arms. Maybe they are shot. Truck had 299400km and this was the first front end job it had this year. 200000km of the truck millage was up at imperial oil cold lake.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:33 PM

Default Warranty

I am a licensed auto tech. I have seen alot of bad aftermarket parts out of the box and its really not that uncommon. however alot of the aftermarket places will only warranty parts if they are installed by a licensed tech or certified shop. If you installed it yourself you may be SOL. contact the store you bought the balljoint from and they will let you know what the warranty on the part is.

But unless you trust the shop that did your alignment 110% i would recommend taking it to another shop for a second opinion cause a lot of manufacturers allow for a certain amount of play in front end components.

hope that helps
Old 11-19-2017, 02:38 PM

Take it some where else !

We had a complete front end done on one of our truck, there wheel alinement machine was down so we brought it to Tire Craft.

Told them it was all over the road and needed a wheel alinement

After 1 hr . they called us and said it was all over the road because it needed a whole front end. Drove over to have a look . And thats when they drove it inside and raised it up ....the mangers faced dropped as he seen the new bar code stickers on all the new parts .
Old 11-19-2017, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Take it some where else !

We had a complete front end done on one of our truck, there wheel alinement machine was down so we brought it to Tire Craft.

Told them it was all over the road and needed a wheel alinement

After 1 hr . they called us and said it was all over the road because it needed a whole front end. Drove over to have a look . And thats when they drove it inside and raised it up ....the mangers faced dropped as he seen the new bar code stickers on all the new parts .
I try to do as much as i can by myself, with YouTube tutorials i can get by with with doing most of it myself. Just sucks when you need to buy all the speciality tools
Old 11-21-2017, 09:41 AM

It isnt so much as the cost of the part as it is the cost for the labour,.
Lifetime warranty on a $65.00 part is cheap compared to the several hundred to replace it.
Get a second opinion and go from there.
Rob
Old 11-21-2017, 09:19 PM

Is the ball joint a press fit or bolt in type. I worked for GM for over 25 years and the only bad Moog ball joints I ever saw were damaged on install. Accidentally catching the ball joint stud on the press juring install-been there and done that.
Old 11-21-2017, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshot66 View Post
Is the ball joint a press fit or bolt in type. I worked for GM for over 25 years and the only bad Moog ball joints I ever saw were damaged on install. Accidentally catching the ball joint stud on the press juring install-been there and done that.

Ditto. Well, sorta ditto. I never worked for GM. Fleet maintenance for Sturgeon cabs in the Bert.