Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-20-2023, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It doesn't matter what they think, judge them based on their driving records. If they were found at fault for causing multiple accidents, they obviously are not safe drivers.
But in the meantime, who cares about the carnage they cause, right?
Old 04-20-2023, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty9 View Post
But in the meantime, who cares about the carnage they cause, right?
Obviously, the authorities could suspend the licenses of anyone with a bad record. They could reduce the number of points allowed to lose your license. Getting thise people off of the road would prevent more carnage than a 10km/hr difference in speed limits for the drivers with good records.
Old 04-20-2023, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
The speed limit is the same in both lanes, travel in the right lane if you come up on a slower vehicle pass in the left lane. There is no fast express lane
^. This is it. Pick a lane and go as fast as you want.! If the left lane is too slow for you , move over to the right lane and give 'er. No such thing as a designated passing lane in Alberta . Safety and common sense are getting to be a thing of the past. To those that pass me on the left and duck back in my lane immediately in front of me.. for some unknown reason, owe me for a couple of windsheilds. Such is the way it is these days. Upping the speed limit won't make one bit of difference, except "accidents" will be more dramatic.
Old 04-20-2023, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
^. This is it. Pick a lane and go as fast as you want.! If the left lane is too slow for you , move over to the right lane and give 'er. No such thing as a designated passing lane in Alberta . Safety and common sense are getting to be a thing of the past. To those that pass me on the left and duck back in my lane immediately in front of me.. for some unknown reason, owe me for a couple of windsheilds. Such is the way it is these days. Upping the speed limit won't make one bit of difference, except "accidents" will be more dramatic.
Are we ignoring all the 'slower traffic keep right' signs posted all over by the highway department? There most certainly is a 'slow' lane in all practical aspects. Pick a lane and go whatever speed you want is very incorrect. There are faster drivers than me, as well as slower drivers. If you aren't overtaking, keep in right lane. Use your mirrors and defensive driving. Been awhile since any driver tests for me, but when I did my class 1, the tester docked points if you weren't checking your mirrors constantly. This is for big rigs, but applies to passenger vehicles as well. How often do people going 110 pass someone going 108, not checking their mirror several times over a minute before the merge to the left and cut off someone driving faster? You are correct people may merge too fast to the right after, but some people will not merge back at all, or an extended time after, while not checking their right mirror when moving back to right lane. With your advise of moving right to 'give er' I would be at a much higher risk of getting run off the road. This happens to me frequently.
Old 04-20-2023, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan15 View Post
Are we ignoring all the 'slower traffic keep right' signs posted all over by the highway department? There most certainly is a 'slow' lane in all practical aspects. Pick a lane and go whatever speed you want is very incorrect. There are faster drivers than me, as well as slower drivers. If you aren't overtaking, keep in right lane. Use your mirrors and defensive driving. Been awhile since any driver tests for me, but when I did my class 1, the tester docked points if you weren't checking your mirrors constantly. This is for big rigs, but applies to passenger vehicles as well. How often do people going 110 pass someone going 108, not checking their mirror several times over a minute before the merge to the left and cut off someone driving faster? You are correct people may merge too fast to the right after, but some people will not merge back at all, or an extended time after, while not checking their right mirror when moving back to right lane. With your advise of moving right to 'give er' I would be at a much higher risk of getting run off the road. This happens to me frequently.
When signs state "keep right except to pass" it means keep right except to pass, pretty simple to understand.
Old 04-20-2023, 12:13 PM

https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/573d...gn-2006-12.pdf

"In Alberta, the Traffic Safety Act, Regulation
AR 304/2002 has provisions for the
operation of traffic along multi-lane
highways. Under the Act, drivers are
required to use the outside lanes unless
their travelling speeds are at or near the
posted speed. The inside or centre lane
accommodates overtaking maneuvers."

Much is up for interpretation here, as the act does require to use outside lanes unless travelling about the posted speed. However, it does say the inside lanes are accommodating passing.

Personally, driving in right lane is much safer, as I was taught in drivers ed. People turning left onto highway are much more likely to get into accidents than people turning right. I prefer to drive in right lane for this reason alone, and don't understand people thinking it's safer to travel at or under posted in the centre lane. They will have to deal with people left turning both on and off highway, as well as people wanting to pass them. My 2 cents.

Last edited by Dylan15; 04-20-2023 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-20-2023, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
When signs state "keep right except to pass" it means keep right except to pass, pretty simple to understand.
Is that the Law, or just a suggestion ? Seems, to me that a driver can select any lane he choses so long as he isn't impeding traffic. Certainly travelling at 120 or 130 on the inside lane shouldn't be impeding anyone. You should be passing everything on the outside lane.

Try doing 140 on the inside lane on Hwy 2 S and see how many are crawling up your azz. It's like a freakin Autobaun. Easyer to pick a lane and travel above above the imposed limit and stay there. If someone is going faster, they can select a lane to pass and get on with it. Thier choice.
Old 04-20-2023, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
Is that the Law, or just a suggestion ? Seems, to me that a driver can select any lane he choses so long as he isn't impeding traffic. Certainly travelling at 120 or 130 on the inside lane shouldn't be impeding anyone. You should be passing everything on the outside lane.

Try doing 140 on the inside lane on Hwy 2 S and see how many are crawling up your azz. It's like a freakin Autobaun. Easyer to pick a lane and travel above above the imposed limit and stay there. If someone is going faster, they can select a lane to pass and get on with it. Thier choice.
3(1) If a person driving a vehicle is driving the vehicle on a highway at a speed that is less than the normal speed of the traffic on the highway at that time and place and under the conditions then existing, that person shall drive the vehicle

(a) in the right traffic lane then available for traffic, or

(b) as close as practicable to the right curb or edge of the roadway,

except when either

(c) overtaking and passing another vehicle travelling in the same direction, or

(d) preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

Alberta Regulation 304/2002

Kind of both a law and suggestion, although somewhat ambiguous, as it mentions normal traffic speed for conditions, not max speed limit. So a guy could interpret it as normal traffic being 125, or the speed limit, depending on how you pick that up. Basically though, the right lane should be chosen if you are driving at a speed under normal speed of traffic, but (c) and (d) give exceptions to travelling in centre or other lanes. They could've done a bit better with the wording there.
Old 04-22-2023, 09:21 AM

You guys are confusing "Keep right except to pass" with "slower taffic keep right".

Keep right except to pass is when there is a third lane, call it an auxiliary lane during hills and such. These only showed up on QEII back around 2015 or 2016. They have been on normal 2 lane highways for a very long time. You HAVE to use the right lane unless passing. End of story. No centre of left lane cruising.

Here:
In Alberta, the regulation of the Act is
supported with the use of the regulatory
Keep Right Except to Pass sign. The sign
is introduced to advise drivers that they
must use the right lane except when they
are passing a slower vehicle.

https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/c163...gn-2006-12.pdf
Are going insane.
Old 04-22-2023, 09:23 AM

The real issue is how Albertans can't figure out how to merge on the highway. Depress the gas pedal and get the hell up to speed. Albertans are notorious for reaching the end of an on-ramp and still going 80-90kph. Ridiculous.
Are going insane.
Old 04-22-2023, 09:29 AM

What is the ultra fast lane ?

Another urban myth?
Old 04-22-2023, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.tru.albertan View Post
The real issue is how Albertans can't figure out how to merge on the highway. Depress the gas pedal and get the hell up to speed. Albertans are notorious for reaching the end of an on-ramp and still going 80-90kph. Ridiculous.
I was stick in a lineup behind a fool that entered the Henday at 30km/hr. Dozens of vehicles were bunched together, behind the fool, creating a dangerous situation. Fools like that are much more of a hazard, than the guy going 10km over the limit.
Old 04-22-2023, 10:05 AM

Gallagher on Stupid Drivers he has right idea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLmIR6MOFiE
Old 04-22-2023, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.tru.albertan View Post
You think Albertans don't know how to merge. Have you ever been to Vancouver? Every on/ off ramp, traffic slows to a crawl! It drives a guy nuts!
Old 04-26-2023, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
What is the ultra fast lane ?

Another urban myth?
Lol, it's lyrics from a Denis Leary song called "*****hole"

Great tune from the 90's I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfarms11 View Post
You think Albertans don't know how to merge. Have you ever been to Vancouver? Every on/ off ramp, traffic slows to a crawl! It drives a guy nuts!
They are just bad drivers in general there. Albertans excel in some places and are terrible in others.... merging onto a highway being one.
Are going insane.