Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-17-2021, 03:49 PM

I'd like to see mobile photo radar give tickets to speeders and the left lane hogs, while the RCMP issue dangerous driving tickets to tailgators.

In 2 weeks the deficit would be paid

The mobile photo units could be driven by municipal workers leaving the RCMP to tackle bigger problems
Old 03-17-2021, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrib View Post
What if the speed limit was really enforced by drone vehicles every 500 meters going the exact maximum speed limit ( or less depending on conditions ) side by side as needed so no one can pass ? ( just a thought experiment , won't happen in real life )

Would that make everyone happy or is it your right to drive faster than the marked speed limit ?

Or how about every vehicle in the province has a governor set to no more than the maximum speed limit ? Tamper with it and the vehicle won't start . LOL , I see that being very possible to make happen .
In order to limit vehicles to the exact speed limit, every vehicle would have to have a GPS unit and computer that knows the speed limit for every location in the province at all times. But I would not have an issue with it, if it is mandatory for EVERY SINGLE VEHICLE in the province, no exemptions for any vehicle, including provincial and federal vehicles.
Old 03-17-2021, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
In order to limit vehicles to the exact speed limit, every vehicle would have to have a GPS unit and computer that knows the speed limit for every location in the province at all times. But I would not have an issue with it, if it is mandatory for EVERY SINGLE VEHICLE in the province, no exemptions for any vehicle, including provincial and federal vehicles.
Lol... because that will be cheap and easy to do.
Old 03-17-2021, 04:45 PM

In some European countries the owner of the vehicle is responsible for the accuracy of the speedometer
in the old days the speedos weren’t that accurate compared with today a simple gps test would prove the Speedo accurate
Old 03-17-2021, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Where did the fast and slow lane come from?

It's the driving lane and PASSING lane the speed limit is the same in both lanes

The primary function of an auxiliary lane is
to accommodate passing manoeuvres.
Consequently, all drivers travelling at their
normal speeds with no intention of passing
are required to utilize the right lane (i.e., the
outside lane).
The Traffic Safety Act, Regulation AR
304/2002 has provisions for the operation of
traffic along a highway with three lanes.
Under the Act, all drivers are required to use
the right (i.e., the outside) lane unless they
intend to pass. The inside or centre lane is
reserved for overtaking and passing
maneuvers.
In Alberta, the regulation of the Act i

Read more here

Attachment 171731
Yup. But I’ll bet at least 20% of the drivers think it’s a fast lane.
This is a problem
Old 03-17-2021, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
It would be extremely expensive to do right now, so while it could be done if gps was built into all future vehicles, it isn't even remote feasible now. And of course certain people will demand to be exempted, so it likely will never happen.
Old 03-17-2021, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
It would be a lot easier and cheaper to have drivers follow the rules of the road .
Old 03-17-2021, 08:45 PM

All in favor....once they fix up the roads....
There are several that you can't even do 110 on now because of the potholes/cracks
Old 03-17-2021, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
In some European countries the owner of the vehicle is responsible for the accuracy of the speedometer
in the old days the speedos weren’t that accurate compared with today a simple gps test would prove the Speedo accurate
They still aren't all that accurate. Generally allowed about 7-8 % error on them. 100kph could be 92kph to 108kph. Most of the time the are on the slow end and not at the extreme one way or the other. I know Ford allows 7%. Other manufacturers will have a spec as well. I have had 3 Suzuki motorcycles that were all exactly 10kph slower than what speedo said at 100kph. Dealer said normal.

Change of tires will make a difference. Tire pressure, extremes of it can change circumference as well. Tires can be the same size but from different manufacturers and have different circumference.

Police know this, they will make sure that you are going out of an allowed limit before giving a ticket. Really easy to fight going 6kph over in a 100kph zone.
Old 03-17-2021, 10:06 PM

Quote:
How about a driving simulator test for drivers in addition to the mandatory physicals, for senior drivers?
I always wanted to drive in a simulator to see how close they are to the real thing.
Physicals? Agreed. I have to have one every two years in order keep my Class 1.
I would like to see mandatory periodical physicals for every class across the board, not because I have to, but to make sure everyone is up to the task of driving on today’s roads.
Old 03-17-2021, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
It would be a lot easier and cheaper to have drivers follow the rules of the road .
And a whole lot simpler.
Old 03-18-2021, 01:15 AM

Speed limit on divided highways should be 110KPH in winter. 130KPH in summer. All under Variable Speed Limits of course.

end thread
Are going insane.
Old 03-18-2021, 04:33 AM

Default changing the speed limit

Would be about as detrimental to the public as when they made pot legal.Who would notice?The province would still have their money making cash cow AKA photo radar to milk.
Old 03-18-2021, 01:48 PM

Imho. Mandatory retesting for everyone every drivers licence renewal (both tests). If you fail, price doubles. But along with that there should be a mandatory class either defense driving, performance driving, etc that is required prior to testing.

Regarding the roads.. yeah lift them to 120. Won't make a difference for 99% of the roads. People naturally drive to what they are comfortable at depending on road conditions/weather/etc.

I like the idea of a night (or bad weather) speed that is lower than the day speed. Digital speed signs that adjust accordingly can't be that expensive nowadays.

A bigger problem is enforcement with bad driving in general (notice I said bad, not just speeders), this would go along way.
Old 11-01-2022, 04:12 AM

Still waiting on this.

Only received First Reading so far. Gotta love the 'speed of government'....

https://www.assembly.ab.ca/assembly-...898&from=bills
Are going insane.
Old 11-01-2022, 05:31 AM

Oh boy! Here we go!

Old 11-15-2022, 01:41 PM

The higher the speed limit, the higher the speeding speed, the worse the accidents. I always drive a bit over, and on HWY 63 a lot. I don't pass too many people, but do get passed like I'm parked.
Old 11-15-2022, 03:19 PM

People who think they own the left lane, either super fast or super slow, are the issue. Use it for the purpose it is meant to be used and no issue.
________________This is what I see happening every time I'm on 16 or QE2. Seems every time I need to pass a slower vehicle some guy in as lifted truck is speeding by in the left lane. I say ban all lifted trucks as a start, then all small underpowered cars.
Old 11-15-2022, 03:29 PM

Governing the vehicles to speed limit will kill a lot of people.
Old 11-15-2022, 04:22 PM

forget vehicles...

Get a high speed mag lev railway line on the major routes in Aberta that can go 350 and most people would take that rather than drive

Highway 16, highway 2, highway 43 and highway 63 and highway 1

Power it with electricity generated from natural gas and become a showcase for the rest of Canada and the World. Maybe even California would see the potential.
Old 11-15-2022, 05:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhunt View Post
The higher the speed limit, the higher the speeding speed, the worse the accidents. I always drive a bit over, and on HWY 63 a lot. I don't pass too many people, but do get passed like I'm parked.
Penn state studies show the average speed did not increase when they raised speed limits but accidents decreased. People will go the speed they are most comfortable at on average.
Old 11-15-2022, 05:28 PM

Speed limits are only suggestions to some, on a recent trip to the US the speed limit was 80 mph (128 kph) cars were passing me like rockets.
Old 11-15-2022, 05:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
forget vehicles...

Get a high speed mag lev railway line on the major routes in Aberta that can go 350 and most people would take that rather than drive

Highway 16, highway 2, highway 43 and highway 63 and highway 1

Power it with electricity generated from natural gas and become a showcase for the rest of Canada and the World. Maybe even California would see the potential.
I dig this idea. It’ll never happen, or maybe we’ll get a train from Calgary to Banff, but I don’t think high speed rail isn’t anywhere near in this provinces future. Just love cars too much.
Old 11-15-2022, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.crentist View Post
....I don’t think high speed rail isn’t anywhere near in this provinces future.
So how soon do you think it's coming?
Old 11-15-2022, 07:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
I dig this idea. It’ll never happen, or maybe we’ll get a train from Calgary to Banff, but I don’t think high speed rail is anywhere near in this provinces future. Just love cars too much.
*is
Old 11-15-2022, 08:12 PM

Quote:
*is

I don't buy the Banff train idea as practical. Southern Ontario and Quebec have commuter railways between cities, but the population densities are much higher and Banff would be a limited market , tough to pay the bills with.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 11-16-2022, 05:20 AM

Leave it at 110 km. There is a lot of variation in speed from big trucks and small cars. Lane changes, merging, broke down vehicles, under maintained vehicles, variation’s in driving skill, tailgating like NASCAR, bad weather,,etc will contribute to many more spectacular fatal collisions on Highways. Sure we may arrive at a destination 15 minutes earlier. I have witnessed spectacular collisions and it just isn’t worth higher speed.
Old 11-16-2022, 06:03 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59whiskers View Post
Leave it at 110 km. There is a lot of variation in speed from big trucks and small cars. Lane changes, merging, broke down vehicles, under maintained vehicles, variation’s in driving skill, tailgating like NASCAR, bad weather,,etc will contribute to many more spectacular fatal collisions on Highways. Sure we may arrive at a destination 15 minutes earlier. I have witnessed spectacular collisions and it just isn’t worth higher speed.
Ya but I got sensors and airbags plus many hours playing race car games on Xbox

Get with the times

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-16-2022, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59whiskers View Post
And then there was the fool driving 25km/hr on the ramp to enter the Henday. It created a backup, which prevented many of us from accelerating to a safe speed to merge in with traffic doing 100km/hr. And yet many people will defend this person, because there is no minimum speed limit. This is far more dangerous, than someone driving 10km/hr faster than the current speed limit.
Old 11-16-2022, 07:01 AM

Quote:
And then there was the fool driving 25km/hr on the ramp to enter the Henday. It created a backup, which prevented many of us from accelerating to a safe speed to merge in with traffic doing 100km/hr. And yet many people will defend this person, because there is no minimum speed limit. This is far more dangerous, than someone driving 10km/hr faster than the current speed limit.
^^^^This^^^^
If they want to bump the maximum speed limit on our highways and freeways, they need to set a minimum. Freeway and highway ramp speeds should be set at a minimum of 90KM as long as road conditions permit. These need to be enforced as well.

BW